Urch Forums

Post Complete Profile and Admissions Decisions

Jhai

Hey all - I might be jumping the gun a bit here, but since we're all bored and waiting, I figured we could get the complete application decisions/profile thread going for next year's crop of students. It'll also let us keep track of how we're all doing. Think of it as the testmagic version of the econphd.net decision tables So...

1. Post your complete profile - GRE scores, overall GPA, (important) classes with grades, type of undergrad university, any research or teaching experience, who you got recs from and what you expect they're like (average, strong, super strong, etc), work experience (if relevant), and anything else you think will have bearing on your admissions decisions. I'm going to post my info in what I think is a pretty clear format, which you're welcome to copy, but don't have to. But do try to keep it easy to read. :)

2. Post the schools you applied to in a clear format - if you want to, you can list them roughly in how much you want to attend or how good they are.

3. As decisions roll in, edit your initial post so that your profile + where you got in is in the same post. This will make it clear and easy for us and future generations of testmagic posters to see where people are getting in. Also, post the date and way you were contacted if you're comfortable with doing that.

4. This thread isn't meant to replace the "whee I got into [blank]" threads, which I'm sure will be popping up sooner or later. :D Those are an important part of this community, but that's not what this thread is for. I'd like to keep chatter on the thread to a minimum, so it can stay a resource for now and later.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Profile:

Gre: 800 Q, 690 V, 5.0 A

GPA: Overall: 3.70 (3 full semesters, since I'm graduating after 3.5 years), Econ: 3.63 (10 classes), Math: 3.77 (9 classes). Also have a 3.51 from community college classes taken while in high school.

Classes:

Math: Calc I through III (taken while in high school, mix of A's & C's), Linear Algebra (A), Analysis (A-), Differential Equations (B+), Operations Research I (A), Operations Research II (A-), Probability & Statistics I (A), currently in Probability and Statistics II

Econ: Intro (A), Int Micro (B-), Int Macro (A-), Quantitative Analysis (A-), Math Econ (A), International Finance (B+), Nobel Laureates & Their Work (A), International Econ (A), Game Theory (A-), Econometrics (A-), Advanced Micro (A)

Other: Advanced Logic (A-) - it was pretty proof-intensive

Type of Undergrad: top 50 liberal arts college

Research Experience: two summers of research (at undergrad in international finance and at Georgia State in urban), plus a big project in Econometrics, which will be my senior thesis this semester (on H-1B applications)

Teaching Experience: 3 years of tutoring econ, math, and logic classes at undergrad. Also TAed a freshman seminar on ethics & leadership, which was taught by the chair of the econ department

LORs: Three from econ profs at my undergrad (head of the dept from Southern Methodist, assistant prof from Minnesota, and assistant prof from Stanford) plus a new math professor from U of Indiana. I expect (and in some cases know) them to be very, very strong, but none of the professors do much research since they're at a teaching college.

SoP & Interests: I think it was a pretty well written SoP, with the last paragraph customized for each school (mentioning professors, strong research groups, facilities, etc). Said I was interested in the overlap of development, labor, and international, with different emphasis depending on the school's strengths.

Other: I'm a female American, which might help a tad, and I'm a California resident which might help a bit with the UCs (I'd cost less to fund for the first year). Applying as a senior in college.

Admissions Decisions

Stanford - ?

Stanford GSB - ?

UC Berkeley - ?

UCSD - ?

UCLA - ?

Duke - ?

John Hopkins - ?

UC Santa Cruz - ?

Georgetown - ?

UC Davis - ?

Profile:

Gre: 800 Q, 650 V, 6.0 A

GPA: Overall: 3.99, Econ: 4.0, Math: 4.0

Classes:

Math: Calc I through III (A's), Linear Algebra (A), Analysis I (A), Differential Equations (A), Probability & Statistics I and II (A's), Topology (A), Topics in Game Theory (A), Discrete Math I and II (A's), Modern Algebra (A), Analysis II (in progress)

Econ: Intro (A), Int Micro (A), Int Macro (A), International Econ (A), Econometrics (A), Comparative Economic Systems (A), Environmental and Natural Resource Econ (A), Math Econ (in progress)

Other: A programming course...

Type of Undergrad: Basically a liberal arts college; good but not elite

Research Experience: Summer research program within my university producing a paper about Doha's potential impact on China; Senior thesis on the political economy of foreign aid donation

Teaching Experience: Lots of tutoring econ and math but no TA'ing

LORs: One from the econ prof (Ph.D. from Pitt) who advised both of my research projects; one from another econ prof (Ph.D. UCLA); one from my real analysis prof (Ph.D. Indian Institute of Technology). All of them were very high on me and know me well, but the economists are not well-known or well-published.

SoP & Interests: Talked about my interest in research, reasons for applying to the Ph.D., particular interest in working in development policy institutions, and reasons why I was interested in their department.

Other: American citizen

Admissions Decisions (The ordering by preference is very rough...)

Harvard - ?

Yale - ?

Berkeley - ?

Maryland - ?

Johns Hopkins - ?

Columbia - ?

Brown - ?

UCLA - ?

Georgetown - ?

UC Santa Cruz - ?

Indiana - ?

Virginia - ?

Sorry to jump in this thread and not give a direct response, but...

Last year, I found it very helpful when everyone listed used the "Edit Signature" feature under "My Testmagic" to list the schools they applied to and the status of the application (i.e. waiting, rejected, accepted, funding offer if accepted). It also added some legitimacy to postings on gradcafe when people here were revealing information. Just an idea.

I agree about listing it under sigs as helpful to others going through the process in the same year. However, as a new poster to testmagic I know it was very frustrating to find out where people got accepted, while being unable to track down their profile. If this thread stays alive then all that information will be centralized, so others can see the profiles of people who are getting accepted/rejected, when the notices come in, and the range of schools people applied to.

Whatever happened to... I know there was some website somewhere that listed a whole bunch of schools, and then whether people were accepted or rejected for certain years (fairly out of date, and not many people surveyed), and the people's stats. Ah, here it is: http://www.econphd.net/decision04.xls

I just found it helpful because it organized it by school. While this is a random process, it was still pretty interesting.

Is there any way we could update that, or organize by school, or something?

Although hearing it by individual is interesting, too! (I go both ways! :tup: ;) )

Profile:

Gre: 770 Q, 560 V, 5.0 A

GPA: Overall: 3.47, Econ: 3.85, Math: 3.57

Classes:

Math: Calc II through IV (B's), Linear Algebra (B), Matrix Theory (A), Analysis I(Advanced Calc I) (A), Differential Equations (B+), Mathematical Statistics I through III (A's), Statistical Computing in R (A), Mathematical Modeling and Optimization (A-), Analysis II (Current), Topology (Current)

Econ: Micro principles (A), Macro Principles (A), Intermed. Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A), Advanced Micro (A-) Advanced Macro (A-), Econ Stats (A-), Econometrics (A-), Public Finance (A-), Game Theory (A), Financial Economics (Australian Study abroad, Distinction), Money and Banking (Australian Study Abroad, Distinction), International Trade & Finance (Australian Study Abroad, Distinction), Health Care Economics (A),

Enviromental Economics (Current)

Other: None

Type of Undergrad: Mid-sized Public University.

Research Experience: One year RA for Economics Professor, mostly on internal rates of return to higher education in India; 6 month RA for Higher Education Think Tank, looking at effects of student aid on tuition rates, effects of higher education appropriations on long-run economic growth.

Teaching Experience: Math Center Tutor, Econ Tutor, Supplemental Instruction (SI) for micro and macro principles.

LORs: One from the econ prof (Ph.D. from Florida State) who taught me Public Finance and Econometrics, also was Faculty Advisor for Econ Honors Society(I am secretary/treasurer); one from another econ prof (Ph.D. Rochester) who taught me Econ Stats, Game Theory(indep. study) and Health Care Economics; one from my stats prof (Ph.D. Bowling Green State University). All of them thought very highly of me. None were famous.

SoP & Interests: Addressed the issue with my low GPA, highlighted my RA work, mentioned my low income background and it's effects of my determination, outlined the growth of my interest in Economics & Law and/or Econometrics(depending on what school I was applying to)

Admissions Decisions (Alphabetical)

Boston College-?

Brown U-?

Duke-?

Florida State-?

George Mason-?

MIT-?

NYU-?

U Washington-?

UC Berkley-?

UC-SD-?

UI-UC-?

UVA-?

Vanderbilt (new Law & Econ Program)-?

Wisconsin-?

WUSTL-?

Profile:

GRE: 800 Q, 680 V, 5.0 A

GPA: 3.86 overall, 3.95 Econ, 3.7 Math

Economics and International Studies double major

Classes:

Math: Calc I (high school), Calc II (A-), Calc III (B+), Differential Equations (B+), Linear Algebra (A), Intro to Proofs (B), Real Analysis (in progress), Mathematical Statistics I (A).

Econ: Intro Macro (A+), Intro Micro (A), Econ Stats I, II, (A,B+), Intermediate Macro (A), Intermediate Micro (A+), Econometrics (A), International Econ I (A+), International Econ II (A), Latin American Economies (A+), Development Economics (A), Macroeconomic Policy (A), Senior Thesis (A+), Law and Econ (in prog), Public Finance (in prog)

Other: some ag african development courses, not that they really matter...

near-fluent in French, decent proficiency in Spanish and Portuguese

Type of undergrad: Top 30 econ program, Big Ten

Research experience: 2 years tutoring Econ and statistics, summer research assistant editing a statistical appendix to a book, senior thesis on public finance, income distribution, and development in Brazil (Bolsa Familia), No TAing

LOR: All three from Economics Professors at my university, PhD Harvard, international and development, PhD Rochester, macroeconomics, and PhD Michigan, econometrics (fairly famous).

SOP: Outlined research interests, travels and languages, motivation to study development, also international and macro, etc.

Other: US Citizen

Admissions Decisions:

UC-Berkeley- ?

Harvard- ?

MIT- ?

Columbia- ?

Yale- ?

Maryland- ?

Cornell- ?

Davis- ?

UIUC- ?

Profile:

GRE: 790 Q, 700 V, 5.5 A

SAT: 800 math, 770 verbal

GPA: Overall: 3.96, Econ: 4.00 (10 classes), Math: 4.00 (2 classes). 5 on all AP exams (10 exams taken)

Classes:

Math: Calc I and II (AP credit), Multivariable Calculus (A), Linear Algebra (A), Analysis (audited)

Econ: Intro Macro (AP credit), Intro Micro (AP credit), Econ Stat (A), Intermed Macro (A), Intermed Micro (A), Game Theory (A), Applied Game Theory (A), Open Economy Macro (A), Advanced Micro (A), Econometrics (A), honors thesis classes (all A's)

Other: CS 101 (A) - This class taught C++

Type of Undergrad: Top-20 research university

Research Experience: Wrote my senior thesis in the area of auction theory. Last year, submitted an auction theory paper I coauthored with two other professors to a peer-reviewed (~top-20) journal. Have not heard back from the journal.

Teaching Experience: TA'd economic statistics for two years

LORs: Two from tenured professors at top-30 research unversities, one from an assistant professor, one from a former professor who has left academia. I am pretty confident all are very strong. None of the writers are especially well-known.

SoP & Interests: This was well-written (I spent much time polishing it, had several people read it, etc.), but not customized to each school.

Other: American citizen. I have worked in the private sector for the past two years and have become an expert programmer in Stata and in C++. Most of my undergraduate courses were in the hard sciences.

Admissions Decisions

Chicago - ?

Chicago GSB - ?

Columbia - ?

Harvard - ?

Harvard HBS - ?

MIT - ?

Northwestern - ?

NYU - ?

Princeton - ?

Stanford - ?

U Penn - ?

Yale - ?

Profile:

GRE: 800Q/550V/4.5A

TOEFL: 297/300, 6.0/6.0

GPA: I don't know how to translate (I believe a simple proportional conversion might be unfair) but around 9.3/10.0 for both undergraduate and master's

Classes:

Math:

Undergrad: Calculus I-III, 2 semester Lin Algebra, Probability, Statistics, Real Analysis

Grad: Real Analysis II, Measure Theory

Econ:

Lots of undergrad, core grad sequence in Micro, Macro and Econometrics

Electives: Contract Theory, Finance, Advanced Theory

Type of Undergrad: International, top in the country

Research Experience: Master's thesis in progress. Not much to show at the time of app.

Teaching Experience: TA for one grad Micro, one undergrad Micro

LORs: 4 LORs from professors who are based here in my home country. Two are tenured professors (PhDs from Berkeley and Princeton) and two more junior (both from Chicago).

SoP & Interests: No idea how to judge that. Mentioned a brief academic history, research interests and professors I could work with in each of the universities.

Other: International, Latin American, 23 yo.

Interests: Microeconomic Theory, Applied Contract Theory, IO

Admissions Decisions

Chicago - ?

Chicago GSB - ?

Columbia - ?

Harvard - ?

MIT - ?

Northwestern - ?

NYU - ?

Princeton - ?

Stanford - ?

Stanford GSB-?

Berkeley-?

U Penn - ?

Yale - ?

Profile:

Gre: 790 Q, 670 V, 5.0 A

GPA: MA Applied Econ: 3.87, BS Electrical Eng: 3.33

Classes:

Math: Calc I through III, Diff Eq, Matrix/Linear Algebra, Math Stats, Stochastic Proc, Analysis I/II(ongoing), Topology (ongoing)

Econ: Micro Theory, Macro Theory (soon), Econometrics, bunch of field courses

Other: Bunch of undergrad EE courses (lots of Matlab, some C++)

Type of Undergrad: top 25 research university per USNWR (master's at top 100 research university)

Research Experience: Nothing noteworthy

Teaching Experience: Teaching a principles course at a regional campus next term (won't count in my application profile though).

LORs: Three from econ profs at master's institution.

SoP & Interests: Development, international, trade, growth

Other: Male international with no $

Admissions Decisions

Berkeley Ag - ?

Brown - ?

GWU - ?

Georgetown - ?

Maryland Ag - ?

Minnesota Ag - ?

Pittsburgh - ?

Purdue - ?

UNC-CH - ?

USC - ?

UVA - ?

U-Wash - ?

Vanderbilt - ?

Profile:

Gre: 800 Q, 570 V, 6.0 A

GPA: Overall: 3.86. Math: 3.96, Econ: 3.94 (Econ major with math minor)

Classes:

Math: Calc II, Multivariable, Intro Lin Alg, Diff Eq, Math Stat, Intro Proofs, Linear Algebra (A's), Advanced Calc (A-)

Econ: all the usual undergrad courses (A's). PhD Math Econ (A), PhD Micro (B+).

Type of Undergrad: big public research university. Ranked ~70s in Graduate Economics rankings

Research Experience: this past summer and fall I RA'd for a professor at my school, I only did minor tasks, but it was still a pretty good experience

Teaching Experience: 3 semesters of tutoring economics (principles and intermediate micro)

LORs: All of my letter writers were encouraging and thought my choice of schools fit me well, so I am taking that to mean the letters should be decent. 1) Assoc. Prof/Head of Undergrad (PhD Stanford) who I tutored for and with whom I took a class, 2) Assist. Dean/Assoc. Prof who I worked with on my RA project (PhD Northwestern), 3) Prof., tutored his intermediate micro course, took intermediate micro and PhD Math Econ with him. (PhD Minnesota)

SoP & Interests: I talked about being interested in applied micro research. I named some professors from each school who had research that I found interesting.

Other: male/white/american. Boring.

Admissions Decisions

Haven't heard from any yet:

Brown

Maryland

Cornell

Boston U.

UNC

Boston Coll.

Duke

Ohio State

UVA

G'town

Pitt

V'bilt

Profile:

770 Q, 510 V, 5.0

GPA: Overall: 3.77 Econ: 3.86 Math: 3.73

Classes:

Math: Calc I, II (AP), Calc 3 (A), Matrix Algebra (A), Discrete Mathematics (A-), Continuous Probability (A-), Linear Modeling (B+), Honors Business Stats (A-)

Currently Taking: Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Math Stats

Econ: Micro Principles (B+), Macro Principles (A), Intermediate Macro (A), Intermediate Price Theory (A), Advanced Macro Topics (A)

Other: Financial Markets I (A-)

Type of Undergrad: Small Business School

Research Experience: Honors Thesis and Advanced Macro Topics thesis paper

Teaching Experience: Math and Economics Tutor

LORs: One from the econ prof (Ph.D. Oregon) who taught me in Intermediate Macro and Advanced Topics, and supervised my thesis. Another from the chair of the econ dept. (Ph.D.Rutgers), who I had for intermediate micro. He offered to write me a letter. Math Professor (Ph.D. U. of Rhode Island) who had me for Calc III and is currently my professor for Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. She discusses that she believes I'll do very well in those two classes (along with other things), which I figured would help since they're both pretty important classes

Interests: Macro, Monetary

Schools:

Arizona State- ??

BC- ??

BU- ??

Georgetown- ??

Indiana- ??

Rochester- Rejected

Rutgers- Accepted, No Funding

UNC-CH- ??

Virginia- ??

WUSTL- ??

I have almost no idea who will let me in. I guess I just have to hope for one!

Profile:

Gre: 780Q, 660V, 4.5A

GPA: Overall 3.93, Econ 4.0, Math ~3.8something

Economics, Mathematics, Psychology triple major

Classes: Micro/Macro analysis (As), 2-semester econometrics sequence (As), numerous independent studies in economics (As), DiffE (A), LinAlg (A), Adv LinAlg (A), Math Stats I/II (B/A), Proofs I/II (A/B), Real Analysis I/II (A/?), Complex Variables (?)

Type of Undergrad: Nothing special, no reputation effect, public university

Research Experience: Written about half a dozen papers, independent research in applied econometrics, game theory, and experimental research. Presented each paper at at least one conference, have submitted one paper for publication in a well ranked journal in the field.

Teaching Experience: 3 years serving as economics tutor, summer experience as a TA for a course in game theory for high school students (sharing equally in teaching load with instructor), substitute taught for intermediate micro (I know this was mentioned in my LOR from this prof).

LORs: Extremely strong letters, from two econ profs and one math prof, none of whom, however, are particularly well known, or heavily published.

SoP & Interests: I think it was probably pretty good...

Other: Female American

Admissions Decisions

(no particular order)

MIT - ?

Stanford - ?

UPenn - ?

Boston College - ?

UCLA - ?

UC Berkeley - ?

Caltech - ?

Carnegie Mellon (decision science program) - ?

U of Pittsburgh - ?

U Michigan - ?

George Mason - ?

Georgetown - ?

U of Maryland - ?

Princeton - ?

NYU - ?

Profile:

Gre: 800 Q, 660 V, 6.0 A

GPA: Overall: 3.95. Math: 4.00, Econ: 3.98

Classes (all A+'s):

UGrad Math: Abstract Algebra, Logic, Analysis

Grad Econ: Micro I, Micro II, Macro, Econometrics I, Business Cycles, Monetary, Economic History, Regulation

Grad Math: Measure Theory, Topology, Computational Group Theory

Type of Undergrad: International, top in country

Research Experience: macro project, summer intern at Central Bank (econometrics), micro master's thesis, summer project in maths

Teaching Experience: 6 semesters of tutoring economics (micro, macro, international)

LORs: I hope they're good :). My letter writers have PhDs from Minnesota, Stanford (x2) and Yale.

Interests: micro theory, macro theory, nonparametric methods, and everything else (I just love econ and math).

Other: International female, 21 yo

Admissions Decisions

Chicago - ?

Harvard - ?

Stanford - ?

Northwestern - ?

Princeton - ?

Yale - ?

MIT - ?

UPenn - ?

NYU - ?

Columbia - ?

Cornell - ?

Brown - ?

Profile:

GRE: 800Q/520V/3.5A

TOEFL: 263/300, 4.5/6.0

GPA: I don't know how to translate:

Undergraduate: 8.7/10

Master: 8.13/10

Classes:

Math:

Undergrad: Calculus I-II, Static Optimization, Lin Algebra, Int to Probability and Statistics.

Grad: Real Analysis, Dynamic Optimization, Probability and Statistics

Econ:

Lots of undergrad, core grad sequence in Micro, Macro and Econometrics

Electives: Money Theory, Development Economics, Advanced Theory

Type of Undergrad: International

Research Experience: Master's thesis in progress.

Teaching Experience: TA for two grad Macro

LORs: 5 LORs from professors who are based here in my home country. 3 are tenured professors (PhDs from Berkeley, Minnesota and UPenn) and two more junior (PhD from Chicago, PhD from a domestic university).

SoP & Interests: It was just about my academic history, research interests (emphasizing the field in which each university is best) and professors I could work with in each of the universities.

Other: International, Latin American, 25 yo.

Interests: Macroeconomics, Money Theory, Development Economics

Admissions Decisions

Minnesota - ?

NYU - ?

Columbia - ?

UPenn - ?

Toronto - ?

Northwestern - ?

Rocheter - ?

PennState - ?

Yale - ?

Princeton - ?

GRE: 790 Q 590 V

GPA: UG 3.1 Major 3.7

Econ/Math: 3.7

Classes: Calc-through MultiVariate, Linear Alg, Statistics, Mathematical Econ, Inter Micro & Macro, Monetary Econ, Labor Econ, Gov Econ........

Work Experience: 5.5 years in finance and accounting working with Regulatory agencies on Capital Models and Risk Models- Loosely relates to interest in Industrial Organization. Manager for a couple of years.

No Teaching or Research Experience

LORs- 2 Very good from Bosses, 1 from prof(Phd Princeton)

SOP - who knows, interests in Micro and Industrial Org.

Schools:

U of Chicago GSB-?

Northwestern-?

UIC-?

Carnegie Mellon-?

Pitt-?

Georgetown-?

Maryland-?

Boston-?

Boston College-?

Brown-?

Gre: 800 Q, 580 V, 6.0 A

GPA: Overall: 3.55 (it may be important to note the I was double major English and economics, because I originally wanted to go to law school. Many of the English classes brought down my overall GPA), Econ: 3.83 (10 classes), Math: 2.96 (5 classes).

Classes:

Math: Calc I through III (A/B+/C+), Linear Algebra (B), Differential Equations ©

Econ: Honors Principles of Micro (A), Honors Principles of Macro (A), Int Micro (A), Int Macro (B), International Trade (A), State & Govt Econ (A-), Game Theory (B), Econometrics (A), Thesis research (A), PhD Macro I (S "satisfactory"), Money Banking Monetary Policy (A)

Other: N/A

Type of Undergrad: medium sized state public university, Florida State

Research Experience: began work on honors thesis, but did not complete. Did receive 'best undergraduate' award, given to two econ majors each semester.

Teaching Experience: 3.5 years of tutoring econ, and math classes at undergrad.

LORs: Three from econ profs at my undergrad (undergraduate advisor at FSU (PhD from UNC Chapel Hill), assistant prof at FSU (Carnegie Mellon), assistant prof at UVa (Carnegie Mellon)) plus a math professor from U of Florida (NYU). I expect (and in some cases know) them to be very strong, all but one of the economics profs are active in research.

SoP & Interests: I think it was a pretty general SoP, as I'm unsure exactly which field of econ I want to study. I did tailor each SOP to each school. I did not mention professors, but I did mention (and research) which fields the school is strong in.

Other: I'm a male American and I'm a Florida resident. Applying after being out of school for two years. I worked in the finance industry during these two years.

Admissions Decisions

U Washington -

UNC Chapel Hill -

U Texas -

UIUC -

UC Irvine -

Boston College -

Pitt -

U Colorado -

UGA -

FSU -

Econ Major / Math and Honors Minor from top private uni (Villanova)

Overall GPA: 3.76 (magna)

Econ GPA: 3.96ish (one A- in Intro to Econ stats)

Math GPA: 3.71 (Calc III (A), Diff Eq and Intro Linear Algebra (B), Intro to Proofs (B)Game Theory (A) Linear Algebra (A) Numerical Analysis (A) Independent Study: Advanced Calculus (A))

Year Abroad at LSE that didnt count towards my GPA:

Macro Principles (B- or 2.2)

Intro to Econometrics (B- or 2.2)

Social Policy: Econ Topics (B+ or 2.1)

Econ History: Integration of Europe's Economy (B+ or 2.2)

GRE's

1st time Q:720 V: 540 A:5.5

2nd time Q:770 V: 530 A:4.0

Research Experience:

-IAES Undergrad Research Paper Finalist: Presented my senior thesis as one of four finalist at the IAES national conference

-Was awarded an undergrad research grant from Villanova that paid for me to do independent research during the summer of 2005.

LOR's and SOP: Both good, but had LOR's from all econ profs and no math profs

Interests: I am a macro man. Particularly I am interested in monetary policy, monetary policy regimes, and development from an econ history perspective. Recently I have become interested in monetary policy and behavioral economics.

Princeton: ?

Boston University: ?

University of Maryland: ?

Rutgers: 18k first year fellowship + 19k TAship for remaining 3 years

Boston College: ?

WUSTL: ?

Just wanted to comment that everyone who has responded has scored 770+ in QGRE, and over half score 800. Where is this bias coming from, is it that people who score high are more likely to visit the site, people with higher scores are more likely to post their profile, or a combination of the two?

Because mean scores of people who enter econ Phd programs is right around 720 I believe. From this thread you'd think it is 790.

Profile:

Gre: 800 Q, 570 V, 5.5 A

GPA: MS Econ: 3.81, BS Actuarial Science: 3.66

Classes:

Math: Math Stats, Stochastic Proc, Time Series, Prob. Modeling

Econ: Micro Theory, Macro Theory, Econometrics, Int. Trade

Type of Undergrad: Both Master and Bachelor from HK

Research Experience: 2 year RA experience on international trade and ex. rate

Teaching Experience: None

LORs: Two from econ profs and one from math prof. at Bachelor's university

SoP & Interests: Development, international, trade

Other: Male international with no funding

Admissions Decisions

Brown - ?

Maryland - ?

Minnesota - ?

UCLA - ?

Columbia - ?

UC Davis - ?

Penn State - ?

Ohio State - ?

UBC - ?

Toronto - ?

NYU - ?

Cornell - ?

BU - ?

Wisconsin - ?

Michigan State

Gre: 800 Q, 600 V 4.5 AW

GPA: Overall: 3.5 Math: 3.7

Classes:

Math: Calc I-III (A,A,B) Linear Algebra I & II (B, A) Analysis I (A)

Econ: PhD Macro (A-) PhD Econometrics I (B)

Type of Undergrad: Liberal Arts college UG, U-Illinois UC for CE mathematics, State Research school for MSes.

Research Experience: One development paper; part empirical part microtheory.

LORs: Econ PhD coordinator for school I'm applying to, Math professor from UIUC, undergrad business professor.

SoP & Interests: International Macro & Finance, Derivative Markets.

Other: Applying to one school.

Just wanted to comment that everyone who has responded has scored 770+ in QGRE, and over half score 800. Where is this bias coming from, is it that people who score high are more likely to visit the site, people with higher scores are more likely to post their profile, or a combination of the two?

Because mean scores of people who enter econ Phd programs is right around 720 I believe. From this thread you'd think it is 790.

Probably a combination. If you look around, you'll see people post who have much lower Q scores; but the active members of the site are normally people who shoot for higher-ranked schools.

Yes, I agree that is the case. I mean, I was looking at people who posted here, and man, all those posting here are with top GPA etc.

I wanted to post a profile of a friend of mine who is working in a South Asia. He had great score in undergrad, did MS from UC Berkeley in engineering, but had around 3.6 GPA, and then went back to South Asia to lead a research institute. Meanwhile, he developed interest on economics, took course in economics and history in his country, and though his grades were so so, he managed to write and present a good paper on game theory in a top seminar, and is aiming to publish it. His GRE score is 1600/1600. I used to think he had a great shot at MIT or Harvard for econ PhD, but after looking at these profiles, I am like, not necessarily. Specially with his bad MS grades, and so many useless subject he took in so many universities in topics ranging from history to math to econ in south asia.