Urch Forums

How Old Will You Be?

YoungEconomist

How Old Were You? How Old Will You Be?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Were You? How Old Will You Be?

• Under 22
    • 22-23
    • 24-25
    • 26-27
    • 28-29
    • 30-31
    • 32-33
    • 34-35
    • 36-37
    • Over 37

I will be 29 this year. It's pretty pathetic. If there is going to be a reason I will choose not to start Economics Ph.D., this will be it. As I get older, I keep questioning more and more whether this is the right path for me. (ok, we all know Economics and research is fun and rewarding activity, but at this age I think a lot of people start wondering whether to continue doing only the 'fun' stuff or whether it's about time to settle down, get a normal job, house, and a family and live a normal life)

I will be 29 this year. It's pretty pathetic. If there is going to be a reason I will choose not to start Economics Ph.D., this will be it. As I get older, I keep questioning more and more whether this is the right path for me. (ok, we all know Economics and research is fun and rewarding activity, but at this age I think a lot of people start wondering whether to continue doing only the 'fun' stuff or whether it's about time to settle down, get a normal job, house, and a family and live a normal life)

This might sound like a funny question, but tell me a little bit more about your background.

When did you get your bachelor degree(s)? In what? Do you have any graduate experience? If so, in what? Why do you want to do econ? When did you know you wanted to do econ? Why are you considering/not considering going for the PhD? What would you want to do with the PhD? Have you applied for PhD economics before? If so, when? Where? etc...

P.S. I am just interested in your general story. Feel free to tell me whatever you want (you can answer the above questions, answer some, skip them all together). I am just interested to hear what you have to say.

LOL, is this an interrogation of some sort? The primary reason I am relatively old was because it took me a while to "find myself" and decide what to do. I dropped out of school and got a decent IT job shortly after moving into USA. Four years later I refused a senior-type IT position in our department which paid more than what a typical junior Economics Ph.D. makes, and I went back to school to get a diploma instead (just to have a piece of paper). When I went back, I decided to pursue economics and math major after all (instead of CS-related) and give graduate school a shot. As a backup, I am also considering a career as a quant, and I am applying to a several terminal M.S. programs in Mathematical Finance. Oh yeah, I also lost a year because my 2006 apps didn't quite work out, but this year I have new better LoRs, new transcripts, some research, and a better idea where I should apply, so I hope I will fare better this year. I wouldn't say that my profile was that bad in 2006 either, but I suspect most economics deparments do a very sloppy job of evaluating "the whole package" when it comes to unusual cases like mine. Still, like I said, I am worried about my age and the prospects of postponing my personal life until upper 30s because of graduate school, so I might just become a quant after all. It's still early to say what my options will be though. I haven't heard answers from Ph.D. programs, but I already got a good (but not my top choice) offer for M.S. admissions. Maybe if I get into my top choice for Economics Ph.D. program, I might change my outlook (maybe something like UMN, UCLA, or Brown would be great).

LOL, is this an interrogation of some sort?

LOL. No, sorry if it sounded like an interrogation, I definitely didn't mean it like that. I am always interested in peoples story (regardless of age). Lately, I ask my teachers and TAs about there story. How'd they know what they wanted to do econ? When did they decide? How did they prepare? etc...

Actually I would probably be interested in everyone on here's story, I guess I just asked you because your case is a little unique.

Don't feel too old though, your age doesn't seem to be a reason to give up on the PhD in econ. Besides, Thomas Sowell was 38 when he received his PhD and Walter Williams was 35, and they've both had an impressive career as economists.

Like I said, I am not worried about my career as an economist but about my _personal_ life. I want both. And I don't feel like waiting until 35-38 to start my family. Yes, it happens in the graduate school but it's a lot less likely and a lot more difficult, and I have some reservations about it.

To apropos:

I am an unusual case like you too because I am older than you (I will be the oldest of my PhD class, I am sure). I got my BS at 22, MS at 25, went to job market, etc. Now I am mid-career economist, and am officially not yet married too. I want to do PhD study not for money nor for career (because I am already professional economist); but only for my personal ambition; and it doesn't matter how old I am. It is the same for the family; it doesn't matter how old I am, I can find a beautiful lady of my age; and I plan to get married during my PhD study.

I would like to jump in. It's really a very inspiring and intriguing topic. I am from HK and will do (hopefully) a PhD this year. I will be 27 this year and I should belong to the upper quartile in terms of age in my prospective class. PhD is certainly one of my most important goals but undoubtedly doing a graduate degree will postpone the life cycle. I hope to be able to start my family at my mid 30s. But, life is really short and I will go for something worth my dedication. No regret after all when you have given your shot.