Urch Forums

MAC vs PC: Which is best in ECONOMICS?

Denken

Hi Everyone! Hopefully (still waiting the application results :sleepy:) I will begin my PhD in economics in fall this year and, like many of you, I've recently been having the urge to buy a notebook. I have always been intrigued by the loyalty Mac users, so now I was considering seriously buying a Macbook. I'm sick and tired of viruses (though I also understand mac are not virus free), defragging my HD, spyware, constant updates, upgrade and restarting nightmares, slow boot up times and so on.

But I have never used a Mac and although I'm confident that getting used to using it won't take me long, I'm worried about compatibility issues. These are the statistical and math software packages I (like most of you) frequently use: Matlab, Gauss, Mathematica, STATA, SPSS, SAS, Eviews and Excel. I understand that most of these packages also run under Mac and that if not there are similar versions for Mac (e.g. Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Mac concerning this. Will the compatibility issue be a problem in economics? What I mean is, am I so far into windows right now that I am better off sticking with a PC because of the potential compatibility problems? Can anyone give me some advantages and disadvantages to buying a MAC or a PC in this sense?

I have also read that using software called Paralells Desktop it is possible to run both Mac OS X and Windows (XP or Vista) on a Mac. Of course, I don't want to buy a Mac just to run windows but this can be useful if, for example, Mac's Excel is not fully compatible with PC's Excel. But I have also read comments like this "This product is dangerous because it seems to work fine and gain your trust, then bam... complete shutdown. I don't know whether Microsoft or Parallels is to blame but I was running Outlook which crashed the XP I was running in Parallels and then when I restarted, an XP prompt said a system 32 file was missing. So now any data that was in there is trapped and gone forever." Has anyone used this software? Can anyone give me some advice on this?

I suppose I should tell you what I'm looking for in a notebook so you can give me a better opinion. These are Mac's Technical Specifications (I built a similar notebook in DELL and, though this Macbook was a bit more expensive, I think that "controlling" for the extra mac-accessories the prices are not statistically different):

Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

L2 cache: 4MB shared

System bus: 667MHz

Memory: 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

Hard drive: 200GB Serial ATA drive @ 4200 rpm

Slot-loading

optical drive:6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Graphics: Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM

shared with main memory

Video: Built-in iSight camera; mini-DVI output port with support for

DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video

Display: 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by

800 resolution

FireWire: One FireWire 400 port (8 watts)

USB: Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

Audio: Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone,

combined optical digital audio input/audio line in,

combined optical digital audio output/headphone out

Networking: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Wireless: Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g)(4); built-in

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module

Accessories:Apple Remote, 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

Ok I think that covers everything. Any advice is greatly appreciated, sorry this is SO SO long but I need to know soon so I know what to buy! Honest opinions welcome :tup: ("PCs SUCK MAC’s RULE!" or vice versa not so welcome :D)

As for running two OS's in parallel, I've only witnessed someone attempting that once (though with Linux and Windows). It crashed and burned repeatedly until he gave up.

ive done this several times with several different versions of linux and windows. never had any problem. you just need to be well-versed in linux to do this.

actually more than once, i got a really bad virus that would not let me do anything (not even format or reinstall my windows), and it was because of my linux that i could go into my windows partition and make things right without losing anything.

I have to disagree with butler blue about running OS in parallel, because my friends are doing it without any problems. Also I have been dual booting Linux and Windows (on many PCs) for three years without crashing and burning repeatedly.

The whole PC VS MAC issue, in my opinion, is really a windows vs OSX issue. Here is MY pro and con list for both PC/apple and Windows/OSX

PC/windows pro: most flexible in terms of software, familiarity with the OS since everyone uses windows, usually cheaper in price than apples

PC/windows cons: viruses and vulnerabilities IF you do not really know what you're doing, (subjective pts to follow) unstable for long periods of time, eats up hard drive space, installs programs without telling me, pay lots of money for software

apple/osx pro: stable operating system for the most part, stylish, helpful community, nice features like expose and spotlight.

apple/osx con: unfamiliarity with the OS, does not support a lot of software that you would normally use in windows, pricey.

with all that said, i will most likely buy a macbook pro =D mostly because i can run windows, debian linux, and OSX. I would recommend the intel-based macs: stylish, durable (as far as i can tell), and well-designed.

I have to disagree with butler blue about running OS in parallel, because my friends are doing it without any problems. Also I have been dual booting Linux and Windows (on many PCs) for three years without crashing and burning repeatedly.

The whole PC VS MAC issue, in my opinion, is really a windows vs OSX issue. Here is MY pro and con list for both PC/apple and Windows/OSX

PC/windows pro: most flexible in terms of software, familiarity with the OS since everyone uses windows, usually cheaper in price than apples

PC/windows cons: viruses and vulnerabilities IF you do not really know what you're doing, (subjective pts to follow) unstable for long periods of time, eats up hard drive space, installs programs without telling me, pay lots of money for software

apple/osx pro: stable operating system for the most part, stylish, helpful community, nice features like expose and spotlight.

apple/osx con: unfamiliarity with the OS, does not support a lot of software that you would normally use in windows, pricey.

with all that said, i will most likely buy a macbook pro =D mostly because i can run windows, debian linux, and OSX. I would recommend the intel-based macs: stylish, durable (as far as i can tell), and well-designed.

I'll defer here. That was just my anecdotal experience.