Urch Forums

Cornell?

apfphd

News from Cornell doesn't come all at once. I received my acceptance last year a week into April (much, much later than many admits). My guess is they pulled me off a waitlist, but they never told me that. The downside is that the longer it takes for you to hear, the less likely you'll receive funding. (Though on this last point, I think corneconomics can elaborate on funding received after acceptance, including TA work.)

Anybody have any word on how the Policy Analysis and Management (PAM) dept. works at Cornell?

In the letter I received from Cornell, they said that my RAship would be with this department. After looking over the department, it definitely matches the type of economics that interests me the most. However, I have heard from one person that being closely affiliated with this department distances oneself from the actual Econ side of the department. And it was suggested that this might be part of the reason for the poorer placements in recent years. Any sort of advice or particularly insightful knowledge on the subject would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks.

Just emailed the department, they said "To date, no decision has been made concerning your application." Again, I wish they did everything at once.

When did you send the e-mail. I sent mine this morning but still haven't heard back. By the way, what was the e-mail that you used?

Anybody have any word on how the Policy Analysis and Management (PAM) dept. works at Cornell?

In the letter I received from Cornell, they said that my RAship would be with this department. After looking over the department, it definitely matches the type of economics that interests me the most. However, I have heard from one person that being closely affiliated with this department distances oneself from the actual Econ side of the department. And it was suggested that this might be part of the reason for the poorer placements in recent years. Any sort of advice or particularly insightful knowledge on the subject would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks.

If you've been admitted to the econ. department, but are getting funding through PAM, I wouldn't be concerned. There are several people in my class who have this arrangement, and it just means that you may end up doing RA work for a PAM professor, or TA'ing a PAM course. You take the same classes as everyone, and you're as much a part of the econ. department as any other econ. grad student.

Congrats on your admission. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the program.

I was accepted and offered a fellowship last year by email on March, 30, so there is still plenty of time. PAM and ILR work with the econ department to fund some students every year, so if you don't get a fellowship, and your interests are in labor or health, you might get an RA. Also, some people come and get TAs in the math department (more likely in the fall than the spring, but by spring you might be able to swing an econ TA-ship). Congratulations everybody. There are plenty of Cornellians looking to answer any questions you have, so go ahead and email anyone whose address our coordinator gives you, or talk to one of us who post here. Also, our graduate student "club", GSAFE, has a message board where you can ask questions.

Thanks for the response Econ2006.

A couple of random questions (for Corneconomics, too):

Have you heard anything about an open house for Cornell? I'm trying to figure out when would be the best time to make a trip up there, and none of the e-mails I've received so far have mentioned an open house date. Also, did they offer to cover any of the costs for the trip out? I figure if they don't cover any of the costs, I'll try to make a mid-week roadtrip to Cornell on my way to another northern university. Try to make my trips as efficiently as possible.

Is there any news about the current job market candidates? Have they been receiving many flyouts and (I guess more importantly) any offers?

I second rdblot's questions above. Also, the department page says there have been some changes in the first year sequence, but doesn't have a lot of information. Could either of you give some information on how the first year is structured and your impressions thus far? Thanks.

I talked a bit about our job market candidates in a post a while ago, cross checking the econ job market rumors website and our own job market candidates page I came up with:

"All of us at corneconomics wish luck to our job market candidates. Thus far, Bin Chen seems to have recieved a campus invitation to Pitt, Fidan Ana Kurtulus to U-Mass at Amherst, and Joseph Podwol to Colorado."

I'm pretty sure another got an invite from Wayne State.

Looking at the rumors website, Colorado made an offer to someone else. Offers have been made from most schools, but I don't know where our students have gotten offers.

rdblots: When I was admitted last year there wasn't an official open house, though I received an email from a professor in my field of interest (who was on the adcom), and was invited to visit the campus. My expenses were reimbursed. That said, I'm not really sure what their official policy on reimbursements is, since I had also been offered a fellowship and was contacted directly. I think it's probably best to inquire with the graduate secretary (Eric Maroney) about their policy. In any event, I would definitely recommend visiting the campus, and talking with a few professors or grad students about the program.

I haven't heard anything yet about this year's job market candidates.

jcn: In the fall of first year, students take micro. I (consumer/producer theory), macro. I, metrics I, and math for economists. You can take a math placement exam before the semester starts, and if you pass, you don't have to take the math course. If you've had quite a bit of probability/statistics, you can request to take a more advanced course than metrics I, though you may also have to pass a waiver exam. Everyone takes micro and macro. In the spring, students take micro. II (general equilibrium), macro II and metrics II.

They restructured the first year in two ways: 1) the order of macro. was reversed. So in the fall semester, we learned most of the standard models (overlapping generations, optimal growth, etc.), while this semester we're doing dynamic programming from Stokey/Lucas. There's quite a bit of real analysis required this semester, so I guess they wanted to make sure everyone was up to speed before jumping into the dynamic programming. 2) they shifted micro. III (Game Theory) to the fall semester of the 2nd year. Now there are only three required courses in the spring, rather than four (though some students are taking one or more additional courses). I think they did this so that we could focus in more depth on micro II. Since we also have to write a paper and do a presentation in metrics this semester, as well as study for the qualifying exams, I'm rather happy they moved game theory to next semester.