Urch Forums

In at UPF!

gzuz

Hey! Jose Garcia Montalvo just sent me out an email notifying me I've been accepted to UPF's MSc program with free tuition and a TAship of some 10K euros.

I'm really stunned! I heard that UPF can be generous with funding (relative to MA programs) but this is fantastic. Yes, I know I probably should just bite the bullet and grab the PhD, but this really appeals to my adventuresome nature and my desire to live overseas and pick up a foreign language.

Anyway, I'm hoping to hear comments from anyone who has taken the program. Specifically, how much would it realistically cost to live in Barecelona for the year?

Best of luck guys. I know their applications haven't closed yet so if you're not liking your acceptances it may be worth it to shoot an application.

I lived in Barcelona for a term while studying abroad. I loved it! However, it is expensive, not like London or San Fransisco or New York, but close. Housing will be the biggest expense, but if you can find cheap living accomodations, then you can live in Barcelona for relatively cheap. My estimate, without housing: $7500 for the year (if you are frugal).

i was under the impression that masters program at UPF didnt fund us citizens, only eu citizens....maybe ill apply...

Unlike UK universities, funding at the UPF is open to everyone irrespective of nationality. Apart from TAships, they also award many tuition waivers.

Is funding at UK universities limited to UK (or EU) citizens only?

UK universities are generally short of money (apart from maybe the LSE), and hence the lack of funding available. UK/EU students can apply to the ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council) for funding which would cover tuition and living expenses (for UK students) and tuition alone (for EU students). Some universities may provide relatively small amounts of grants (like the Graduate Merit Awards at the LSE) to international students, but those probably won't be enough to cover your expenses.

I had also thought funding/tuition waiver was not available for non-EU residents which is why i did not bother applying.. so much for my poor research skills. :(

werther: do you have your profile posted somewhere on the board? As mentioned already by the OP, they are still accepting applications so it might be worth a shot.

what kind of profile does one need to have for admission at UPF?

i had also thought funding/tuition waiver was not available for non-EU residents which is why i did not bother applying.. so much for my poor research skills. :(

Top ~20 University. Major: Economics

Math/Econ GPA ~3.5 - 3.7

LORs - Both from tenured faculty. One with a nobel prize (though I don't think that's the deciding factor).

Research experience - RA for 2 years for one prof. RA for another prof for going on 1 year.

I applied to UPF because my math skill could be better (only through Linear Algebra and one semester of Analysis) and UPF has a very mathematical program. I made it pretty clear in my statement of purpose I have aspirations to go on to complete the econ phd.

I also applied to some PhD programs and if I don't get into the ones I like with funding I'll just spend a year in Barcelona. I'm clearly not on the fast track, but that's alright with me.

There's also no application fee to UPF. Yea, I couldn't believe it either.

• Like 1