Urch Forums

I need advice regarding grad school deferral

Ok, so suppose you got into grad school (top 10 economics dept), but you found a sweet job and you decide to defer the grad school offer for a year (which implies accepting the offer first, right?). Mean while your job keeps getting sweeter, that is, you are happy in it, there is opportunity for growth, great benefits, and no moving across the country is required.

Question: One year has passed, and in your heart you feel you that you do not want to give up your job...What is the worst that could happen if you decide to back out of the offer? Can you do it? How would you do it?

Thanks a lot guys...this is all hypothetical at the moment...I am just considering all my strategies.:hmm:

Depends...

I'd say stay in your job (for now), unless you have this absolutely unquenchable burning desire to teach economics and/or conduct economic research, which are the only reasons you should want a Ph.D. in economics. If money is your end desire the job/mba route is much more lucrative than pursuing any Ph.D.. If you can get into a top ten econ program now, then you'll be able to get into a top ten econ program a year from now. I don't see any real drawbacks to waiting a year.

Thank you for the advice.:) Thinking optimistically does make me feel better.

However, I meant what is the worst that could happen bureaucratically and reputation-wise? Would the school never consider me again, or make me pay a fee for holding my offer for a year and having me give up on it?...just trying to make everybody happy...the school, the company, and me...I guess you can't make somebody better off without making somebody else worse off. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Deferrals happen sometimes. I have seen someone reporting one or two on thegradcafe. I suppose you need a good reason for a deferral (or maybe not so good one), but most schools won't advertize that possibility officially. Why? Probably, theoptimalsolution's is exactly the kind of behavior they want to discourage.

Sorry about that...I believe I have been unclear...I am currently applying to grad school just like the rest of you. No deferral has happened yet.

I have informally asked someone in the program about deferral and he has told me that it is a possibility.

I also found a job this year. I was just applying for a bunch of jobs and expecting them to be like any "fresh out of college" type job, i.e. bad. However, I found something good, but haven't started yet (I was working the bad ones up 'til now). I have no idea if I will love or hate this job.

I have great passion for economic theory, but my new job might help me fulfill other intelectual desires. I am afraid to love it. But then, what of my deferral contract with the school? (which I have not yet signed, so I have no idea what it entails. I am coming to you for advice, because if I were to ask the school what would happened if I accepted the offer, deferred it, and after one year backed-out, then they would not take me seriously).

At the moment I am divided:mad:...on one hand I love economics, on the other hand I could love this job (more?)...but what if this division no longer exists in a few months...so I am just mapping out all my strategies, that is all.

Phew...sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Thank you.

Schools are more likely to allow you to defer admission than funding: if you get a funded offer and ask to defer, they may tell you yes, but no guarantee of funding next year. So consider whether the work experience/salary combination are worth $30,000-$40,000 to you.

That said, if you aren't sure about starting a PhD, don't. It's hard work and the first year can seem pointless, so you need to be very focused on why you want the PhD and what about economic research makes you passionate to maintain your enthusiasm. The combination of first year classes, etc. and doubts about "I'd be so much happier if I'd just taken that job" could be miserable.

If you defer and then decline after the year is up, there's nothing the school can "do to you." If you wind up reapplying there several years down the road, they probably won't take you again, but that would be the worst of consequences.