Urch Forums

what can i do after so many rejections?

nonono

I am so in bad luck that i first visited this forum after i had paid the application fees. If i were given a chance to re-apply again, i would never apply those top 20...

After some what 5 rejects from lower-rank (relatively speaking in my pool) schools i apply, i am pretty sure no phd program would admit me this year. So my question is what am i going to do if i like to choose research as an optional career?

My personal background (do not laugh at me...):

BA Econ with GPA 3.5 -- East Asia

There were few bad things happening in my last semester; i took many math courses at one semester and nearly screw up them. My GPA was dragged by these low grades.

MS Econ with Distinction -- EU

Although this university names itself as one of the best in EU, i found the curriculum it organizes is horrible. For instance, MSc teaches you no math at all; what's more, some professors prohibit you from using math in the class presentations and discussions. Actually, this is MSc is more work-oriented.

Mphil Econ -- EU, same school

In progress, but i am not satisfied with the curriculum either.

GRE (worst): V640, Q750, AWA4

I did too slow in Q part and do not finish it. My friend said to me that the AdCom must think i am an idiot.

(BTW, i had GRE two years ago with V330, Q790, AWA4; but i don't know why this is not shown in my official report.)

Two LORs from full professors: One is my supervisor (Big name) and the other is the second reader (Big name) of my MSc thesis. I believe they wrote good letters; but according to my results, LORs do not work at all...

Third LOR is from a lecture who works in the industry; no expectation to its influence.

So guys, could you please share your opinions on the following questions

1) Why did i get so many rejects from universities? Insufficiency in math, in GRE, or in Econ knowledge?

2) If unfortunately i am rejected by all phd programs, shall i go to US (I think Boston Univ will give me MA for sure, cause they want money)? Do i have any hope in academic career if i study phd in EU?

3) Is it worthwhile to re-apply US schools after i obtain my mphil? Most importantly, does mphil raise chance in application process?

4) My mom's question: do you think it is a bit too old that you get a phd around 33 years old?

Many thanks for your kind reply!!!

nonono

Unfortunately, your GRE quantitative score of 750 probably guarantees rejection at most top 20 schools.

If you re-take the GRE and score high, I think you could substantially improve your chances next year.

Also, I'm not clear on what your math background is, but it sounds like you could use some more math classes.

Good luck!

I would try to get your old scores from ETS as well. Most schools use the best from each area. A 790Q and 640V is pretty solid.

It doesn't really matter what your overall Math GPA is as long as you have As in some tough ones like Real Analysis. If you don't get in this time around, see if you can take some tough math classes ... get As ... and reapply.

As for being worried about not getting in anywhere. I can tell you from a personal experience when I applied 2 years ago that it somewhat is random. You could get denied from 5 schools ranked about the same and then get into a school that is ranked 10 or even 15 above them.

I would try to get your old scores from ETS as well. Most schools use the best from each area. A 790Q and 640V is pretty solid.

It doesn't really matter what your overall Math GPA is as long as you have As in some tough ones like Real Analysis. If you don't get in this time around, see if you can take some tough math classes ... get As ... and reapply.

As for being worried about not getting in anywhere. I can tell you from a personal experience when I applied 2 years ago that it somewhat is random. You could get denied from 5 schools ranked about the same and then get into a school that is ranked 10 or even 15 above them.

I agree with this.

1) Why did i get so many rejects from universities? Insufficiency in math, in GRE, or in Econ knowledge?

nonono

Probably a Quant of 750 must have played a role. But you had a 790 before and I´m sure you can get something better than a 750, so try convincing the adcoms your math is good enough by improving your 750. However, other factors must have played a role, like randomness!

2) If unfortunately i am rejected by all phd programs, shall i go to US (I think Boston Univ will give me MA for sure, cause they want money)? Do i have any hope in academic career if i study phd in EU?

nonono

I bet you do. But you can still get into a US phd program.

3) Is it worthwhile to re-apply US schools after i obtain my mphil? Most importantly, does mphil raise chance in application process?

nonono

If your program gave you instruments to succeed in a Phd program, of course it will raise your chances! Go on an keep on trying!

4) My mom's question: do you think it is a bit too old that you get a phd around 33 years old?

nonono

Most latin americans I know got their Phd around 30-35, so don´t worry, you´ll not be the only old guy in the class :)

nonono

1) Yes I seriously think that an MPhil will most certainly improve your chances. Take as many math courses as you can in the meanwhile.

2) A PhD in Europe is not a bad idea either. A lot of european schools are doing very well of late. So it would depend on which program you're attending.

3) PhD at 33!!! Do you know at what age Harsanyi got his PhD???? Trust me if you're even 40 when you get your PhD but churn out stuff like him I'd personally go thank your mother. Therefore DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE AGE if you really want to work in the field.

So all the best!!:tup:

Thanks for all advices; they are encouraging, as currently i am really down down to the hell. But like what you said, it's worthwhile to re-apply US schools again after mphil study.

Actually, personally i think it's a little too late to ask ETS to send official reports at this moment. Almost all that i apply have made their decisions; the reason that i haven't yet received the unofficial "rejection" emails is, i guess, most schools deem informing the rejections as the second thing to do-they probably give the congr first. It is the general way that adcoms do this year, just look the gradcafe...

No matter what the application results this year are, I will re-apply US. But (Attention!!!), some argue that it would be easier to get admissions if you study in US; and staying in place other than US will make your application status worse. Can one of you justify or falsify this claim?

One of my friends says if she were in my circumstance, she would of course attend to US no matter the admission is good or bad (rank lower). I currently study at a school ranked top 30 in the world; as far as applying US schools is concerned, is it really worthwhile to forgo the current program and pick up an alternative such as BU's MA? This puzzles me too.

Anyway, i will take as many math courses as possible. :p

I generally tend to believe that staying away from U.S. master's programs could help you. Regardless, wherever you are, just improve your profile. Otherwise, studying in the U.S. is not going to help your profile by itself and make you more attractive to the adcoms. Wherever you are, just be as good as you can be!!! Everything else is just noise!