Urch Forums

Johns Hopkins

Dannyb19

I just received an email notifying me of my acceptance to the PhD program at Hopkins. I was also awarded a very generous fellowship of $16,000 for 5 years, with TA or RA responsibilities in years 2-5. Guess this makes for an interesting choice between Virginia and Hopkins (although I am still awaiting Chicago, UCLA and Wisconsin). Also fly out on the 30th, one night in hotel paid plus $300 travel costs. Hooray!

Congrats! I would think Hopkins is quite a bit better than UVA...is there a reason that you think otherwise? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, congrats, and best of luck.

Hopkins is #51 on econphd, UVA is #53; they are #24 and #27 respectively on US News.

Also, JHU hardly places anyone in academic jobs it seems, so it all depends what you're interested in.

http://www.econ.jhu.edu/recent_placements.html

I'm not sure if I'll fly out there. I guess I shouldn't but I'm in Philadelphia two days before and so I might stop by. I'd really like to meet Peyton Young but he's on leave right now. Hopkins is definitely a great program though with a lot of connections to the local policy community, and a joint research center with the Brookings Institution on economic and social dynamics. But yeah, I probably won't be going there, so maybe flying out there is unethical.

I have now just received an email saying "Please disregard the decision letter that was sent you in error due to a computer glitch. Your corrected letter will follow shortly. Sorry for any inconvineance."

I am not sure my emotions can take this much longer.........

I have now just received an email saying "Please disregard the decision letter that was sent you in error due to a computer glitch. Your corrected letter will follow shortly. Sorry for any inconvineance."

I am not sure my emotions can take this much longer.........

please say you are kidding... This is horrible! good luck with the "corrected" offer.

And to make it worse they blame "computers." Oh the "computer" decided to dig up your e-mail address, type a letter to you, then send it through an e-mail client. Sure...

Exactly! At least have the decency to own up to your mistakes.

I am definitely not going there. Even if they paid me twice that amount.

This brings up the question of how best to "take revenge". Holding their offer (if offered) until the very last minute before declining sounds like a spitefully good plan, but it will deprive those on the waitlist from getting their chance. Not good.

Seriously this is very unprofessional of the department.

What a bunch of crap...

Not that I really know, but my guess is that anyone who got the email is probably admitted. Funding from the department isn't great, and the $16K offer is one of the named fellowships. So, I'm guessing it was a bad cut-&-paste job with the award letter. I think they use the same form letter for everyone, but change the relevant parts (money, reimbursement for fly-out, etc).

But yeah, pretty sure office staff is gone for the day, so it won't be cleared up today.