Urch Forums

grad classes vs. linear algebra, real analysis

needeconhelp

hello eveyone,

i had a quick question. I already took Foundation of Real Analysis and applied Linear Algebra.

these are some of the classes i am considering during fall semester of my senior year(coming fall).

-grad micro

-grad stats

-linear algebra

-real analysis

I would be really thankful if someone can advice me on which classes would benefit more towards my application. I do not plan to take all four classes because I would not have enough time for applications and i don't want to screw up my grades with four hard classes (I also have general education requirements to fill as well).

thank you!

The graduate level courses are not going to impress them unless you are at a place like MIT, Harvard, Stanford...then I might consider it, but without real analysis you will likely have a very difficult time.

Graduate departments recognize that real analysis is basically the same wherever you take it (it is hard) and are much more likely to be impressed by an A grade (which you will need) in this class no matter where you take it. If you are at a place like MIT, Harvard, or Stanford an A in this class is gold and still more valuable than any graduate class (unless of course you take graduate level real analysis).

Have fun with Real Analysis....

It depends on what your Foundation of Real Analysis class covered. It might be enough for what you need in grad school. I would recommend sitting in micro for a couple of lectures to see if you can handle it. If it's too much, then you should take more math.