Urch Forums

UK grade and US GPA

zulkfal

Hi forum members,

Thanks a lot for your replies for my previous posts. I just want to find out the grading system to convert UK to US GPA.

UK grades are

1st Class= 70%

2:1 upper second class = 60%-69.99%

2:2 lower second class= 50% - 59.99%

Pass= 45%-49.99%.

But normally student range differently e.g. I have A's in some courses, B’s as well and C’s as well overall I have 68% in my results if I leave out my first year result (which are not counted towards final results). Who I will convert these grades?

I have been following your posts clearly and I think I can help. I am the guy who raised the issue about your GPA first in your previous post. I am a second class upper student but my CWA was very high and very close to first class. (69.11). I think 2.1 is either less than 3.0 or very close. You can still make it but the best thing is to apply to more medium schools and few if any top 10 schools. You know the big schools hardly compormise and they usually find it difficult to give you the benefit of the doubt. Again, in reply to your previous post, dont be concerned about your maths background. Econometrics and Economics for mathematics are o.k and your gre quants score is execllllent. People make a lot of noice about the importance of the GRE but I think it is second to your GPA. However note that the admission process is a rondom act. So you can still take the risk but take a necessary risk. Goodluck o.k and hope you make it up next year.

It really varies, I dug up an old conversion from University of Iowa...for those abroad, it's a large public uni, a step below Wisconsin and Michigan. The conversion there was 70+ = A+, 65-69 = A, 60-65 = A-... so it certainly varies, though this probably has something to do with a school's quality, but also its attitude on what caliber of coursework is to be expected during a study abroad program. At any rate, 68 overall seems okay (probably not a dealbreaker except perhaps at the top 5, though we all know the randomness that goes on anyway...) and your marks in the more mathematically rigourous courses are what you should be looking at anyhow.:)

At LSE they make following translation of grades to US system for a general course students:

78+ is A+

73-78 is A

68-73 is A-

63-68 is B+

58-53 is B

But i will check it and post later the exact way they translate it as this one is just straight from my head. It should be similar though.

But I agree that without 1st class (and I mean a strong first) you shouldn't have much hope for Top 15. Try very wide range of school when applying.

Granted, I have no idea how it works exactly, but it doesn't make any sense to me. If 68% is A- which translates into 3.7 then doesn't it mean that second upper class is the same as 3.7 on the 4.0 scale? And if this the case how come the OP (that I think has 68%) doesn't have a shot at top-15. There's been a discussion on another thread (http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/70568-untold-truth-about-top-10-programs.html) and from there it seems that people with GPA around 3.6-3.8 managed to get into top-10 schools. What am I missing here?

The 2.1 range is so broad that it does not make sense to convert it to GPA. However, if u do, I had found couple of years ago a conversion guide from Berkeley saying that a First is A (and A+ if above 75), 65-69 A-, 60-64 B+ etc

At LSE they make following translation of grades to US system for a general course students:

78+ is A+

73-78 is A

68-73 is A-

63-68 is B+

58-53 is B

As a follow-up, when do you get a Distinction at LSE?

*Ahem*, re: all these "without a distinction you're doomed".... I've said before elsewhere, my department has really hard markers. I'll probably graduate with around a 69 or so (still waiting for the marks), but around the time of application my average was more like a 67-68. I did fine :). But then, I had a lot of professors comment about how some of my papers were publishable (even though they received a 68) and how they expected me to get a distinction on X (which later turned out to receive a 67... where is the justice??).

In fact, I've yet to receive a distinction on a single assignment, I'm sorry to say (although I'm expecting one or two when I finally get my marks).

I don't think I'm stupid, either (I had a 3.8+ GPA at a good university in the U.S. and won a good scholarship and etc.), and it's not for lack of effort... my department is just mean and stingy.

In fact, I know of another department at the same university, which had 30 students in their master's program and *didn't give out a single distinction*.

So if any of them needed a distinction to get into another program, well, they're in trouble.

Karina 07, why don't you just publish your CV here? That would save you the time you spend on bluntly incorporating (oftentimes irrelevant) details about your academic track record (going back until high school...) into a significant proportion of your posts.

Thanks for listening.

Back to the topic: You need two marks >=70 and another two marks >=60 to get a distinction at LSE (MSc). For further info: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/schoolRegulations/schemeForTheAwardOfATaughtMastersDegree.htm

As for BSc: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/schoolRegulations/classificationSchemeForTheBScBADegreesForStudentsEnteringInOrAfterTheAcademicYear2004_05.htm

Karina 07, why don't you just publish your CV here? That would save you the time you spend on bluntly incorporating (oftentimes irrelevant) details about your academic track record (going back until high school...) into a significant proportion of your posts.

A lot of people tend to ask me for my experiences. So I answer. Isn't that what we're all doing here, answering how we've perceived things from our experiences?

Clearly, anecdotes are just anecdotes. But I consider that my providing them tells some part of the story, and that en masse with other people's anecdotes, something can be gleaned from them.

Goodness, I've actually *worried* about posting in such detail here. I was trying to be helpful. If the general consensus is that I shouldn't, then I apologize and won't, but people should let me know whether it's just you....

P.S. I was including the GPA stuff because imho it, too, helps provides grounds for comparison. I'm saying I worked equally at each place (maybe a little harder here, really) and from my experience the 67-69-ish range roughly corresponds to a 3.8+ (

Some posts should just be ignored. The first part of corpfin2006's post is a good example. Don't worry, I'm sure he's in minority and most people here appreciate your wiliness to provide examples of what you talk about. And I don't think it's your fault that the examples happen to be positive :) Good for you :)

I was more or less reminded of this thread: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/67234-very-silly-musing-sops-math-etc.html

However, if a certain portion of sarcasm is not your cup of tea, I can truly understand that and I apologize in case you all feel that Karina's comments were indeed on-topic.

I should really try and follow my own advice, but what the hell... Never mind that the thread you mentioned was started by Karina so everything there was relevant (so she bragged a bit to make herself feel better, what's the big deal), but how is this not relevant: EconPL said "hey, without distinction you have no chance at top-15", Karina said "hey, I don't have a distinction and I did ok."? I think it's right on the subject. And I fail to see the sarcasm you've mentioned.

Anyway, apologies to the OP for getting off the topic, just want to make sure that a perfectly helpful poster stays and continues to be helpful

P.S.: to Danny, I agree with you, I don't think she was bragging either, but even if it seems that way and even if she was, it's not a big deal and doesn't make her posts irrelevant. :)

I don't see Karina bragging, I see her sharing info about herself to aid everyone else who is trying to get into a top 5-10 program, like Berkeley. I also think Karina's history is extremely helpful to some, since it is not the typical "got straight A's in a bunch of math courses worked as an RA since my sophomore year" profile of a top 10 admit. I would caution that Karina is probably the exception more so than the rule (Tony Williams has a good discussion of this on EconPhd.net somewhere), but I don't get the criticism of her sharing her background, we all have, its not her fault hers is better than most of ours.

The same thing was done to Cassin, who got into Princeton, and now he doesn't post here anymore (maybe a coincidence, but still).

Karina, keep sharing the good information, let the haters hate. After all, Phd = Playa Hata Degree :D .

PS: Sorry for perpetuating the off topic discussion, my bad Zulkfal.

• 5 years later...
Hi forum members,

Thanks a lot for your replies for my previous posts. I just want to find out the grading system to convert UK to US GPA.

UK grades are

1st Class= 70%

2:1 upper second class = 60%-69.99%

2:2 lower second class= 50% - 59.99%

Pass= 45%-49.99%.

But normally student range differently e.g. I have A's in some courses, B’s as well and C’s as well overall I have 68% in my results if I leave out my first year result (which are not counted towards final results). Who I will convert these grades?

[TABLE=width: 320]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3]UK[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]US Adj.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MARK[/TD]

[TD]GRADE**[/TD]

[TD]CLASS*[/TD]

[TD]GPA[/TD]

[TD]GRADE[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]90[/TD]

[TD]1:1[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]89[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]88[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]87[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]86[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]85[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]84[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]83[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]82[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]81[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]80[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]79[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]78[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]77[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]76[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]75[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]74[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]73[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]72[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]71[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]70[/TD]

[TD]4.00[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]69[/TD]

[TD]2:1[/TD]

[TD]3.84[/TD]

[TD]A-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]68.5*[/TD]

[TD]3.67[/TD]

[TD]A-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]68[/TD]

[TD]3.57[/TD]

[TD]B+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]67[/TD]

[TD]3.47[/TD]

[TD]B+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]66[/TD]

[TD]3.37[/TD]

[TD]B+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]65[/TD]

[TD]3.27[/TD]

[TD]B[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]64[/TD]

[TD]3.17[/TD]

[TD]B[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]63[/TD]

[TD]3.07[/TD]

[TD]B[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]62[/TD]

[TD]2.97[/TD]

[TD]B-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]61[/TD]

[TD]2.87[/TD]

[TD]B-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]60[/TD]

[TD]2.77[/TD]

[TD]B-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]59[/TD]

[TD]2:2[/TD]

[TD]2.67[/TD]

[TD]B-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]58[/TD]

[TD]2.57[/TD]

[TD]C+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]57[/TD]

[TD]2.47[/TD]

[TD]C+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]56[/TD]

[TD]2.37[/TD]

[TD]C+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]55[/TD]

[TD]2.27[/TD]

[TD]C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]54[/TD]

[TD]2.17[/TD]

[TD]C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]53[/TD]

[TD]2.07[/TD]

[TD]C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]52[/TD]

[TD]1.97[/TD]

[TD]C-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]51[/TD]

[TD]1.87[/TD]

[TD]C-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]50[/TD]

[TD]1.77[/TD]

[TD]C-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]49[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1.67[/TD]

[TD]C-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]48[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1.56[/TD]

[TD]D+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]47[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1.45[/TD]

[TD]D+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]46[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1.34[/TD]

[TD]D+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]45[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1.23[/TD]

[TD]D[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]44[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1.11[/TD]

[TD]D[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]43[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1.00[/TD]

[TD]D[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]42[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]0.89[/TD]

[TD]D-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]41[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]0.78[/TD]

[TD]D-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]40[/TD]

[TD]Ordinary[/TD]

[TD]Ordinary[/TD]

[TD]0.67[/TD]

[TD]D-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 5]*many UK Universities use this as the cutoff point for the awarding of First Class degrees[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 5]**many UK Universities use this as the cutoff for individual pieces of work[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]