Urch Forums

Schools that require the GRE subject test?

bcksta

None that I've heard of so far after reading quite a sizeable number of admission websites. I've heard none say they recommend it. Usually they just say it is not required. University of Virginia and Boston College say something about it. You can check them out: not required is all they say. I think an economics GRE subject test will count for little--at least not enough to merit your taking it.

I think we should also ask: Does the GRE Math Subject test help in anyway when it comes to Econ PhD admissions? I'm doing a master in economics program in the US and am thinking of taking it to bring more math rigor into my profile and probably more importantly make up for sloppy undergrad real analysis grades. Any ideas here?

Re the math subject test, it is a real pain. I took it in college while I was taking analysis/algebra and before taking ODE's, but with pretty much everything else and only got 62%. I'm sure I would have done better if I took it while in my math masters program, especially cause I had to relearn calc to teach it (which is 50% of the test) and TA'd twice for linear, but I think econ adcoms would barely notice unless you did extremely well, like 90%+. Personally I sent my scores to all schools but Princeton, who I figured may be put off by my score (not that it mattered, I was rejected anyways haha). Frankly I don't think the effort is worth it, plus that test is pretty tough.