Urch Forums

Roll call! Fall 2007 applicants

polkaparty

This year will probably be even more competitive than last so we need to be prepared to comfort each other when the darkness rolls in….

Seriously, in the spirit of this thread, post something about yourself if you are applying this fall. We’ll sweat together, relax together, cry together, rejoice together…you get the point.

For myself:

I’m quiet and restrained, fearful that my undergraduate institution reputation will hurt quite a bit (there is definitely a good instrumental variable study lurking out there that compares in-state vs. out-of-state choice sets and outcomes), and just hoping to have a good fall semester.

I took the GRE a few days ago, and was lucky enough, sigh, to see two quantitative sections, one at the very end of the test. That section went terrible as I was extremely fatigued which somewhat snowballed into a breakdown…fortunately that must have been the experimental section and I received a decent score, 780.

I’m interested in, quite vaguely, micro theory and applied research like education and health care, however I have focused mostly on math preparation so my interests may change significantly. I feel as though I should like something related to macro but I haven’t had enough experience there to really know, my school doesn’t really teach or research macro topics.

6 months and counting....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to finally be a part of this traditional thread!

Here goes:

I would consider myself an international student from a small developing country.

School: Top public university of my country

Major: Economics and Masters in Economics.

GPA: Graduated 1st in my class, both programs.

GRE: 800q 730v 4.5AWA

Tofel: 118/120

Courses: Tons of econ, some math, no formal real analysis.

TA: Lotsof undergrad macro courses and some graduate macro courses.

Teaching: I teach undergrad macro.

Research: A few applied papers.

RA: Current job is as an RA at Central Bank and lecturer at my university.

LOR: Two senior, one junior. I know them all really well (for over two years) and with all I have co-authored different research.

Interests: Macroeconomics, Labor and Development in general. Applied computational economics and income distribution in particular.

SOP: Tried to be serious, signal I know what I'm getting into. No BS, no talking about whats in my CV, no naming professors and not very long.

Schools: Shooting for the top 15 schools in macro.

My Concerns: The enormous randomness involved in the whole process in general.

School: UW-Milwaukee

Major: Economics/Math Minor

GPA: 3.35 (3.6 Econ) (3.6 Math)(3.6, 3.75, 3.8 The last 3 semesters)

GRE: 770q 460v 4AWA

Tofel: I am an American but my verbal suggests otherwise...

Courses: 301 Int. Micro B

302 Int. Macro A

325 Money B

353 Devlop A

413 Stats B

351 Intro Int A

447 Labor A

513 Econometrics B

454 Trade A

Now Taking: Game Theory, Math Econ I, Spring: Math Econ II

Math: Non-math major Calc A, Calc I B Now taking: Calc II Pending, Proof intro pending Spring: Calc III, Algebra , Linear Programing , Advanced Calc, Axiomatic Geo

Research: Working on undergrad research this semester...nothing special.

LOR: 1 should be stellar Associate prof., 2 others pretty good-good one assoc. one tenured.

Interests: International/Experimental

Schools:

Iowa

Vanderbilt

Mich State

NC State

Middle TN State

U of KY

U of CO Boulder

AZ State

U of Santa Cruz

U of AZ

Oregon

U of Tenn

Iowa State

Purdue

UW-Milwaukee

My Concerns:

Not Enough Math(will go another year of UG if things don't work)

Starting a marriage, new life, and new school at the same time

The level of difficulty

Goals: Tenure track at a Ph.D. Granting research institution. To live comfortably(upper middle), like my job, and be able to spend ample time with my family.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: large US public university(SUNY-SB), Econ and applied math Major

Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 3.79; eco: 3.89 ; math:3.88.

GRE: 800Q, 510V,AWA 4.0 DOES AWA score matter?

Math Courses: Calc 1-3 (A), differential equations(A),Logic, Language and Proof (B), Introduction to Real Analysis (A), Mathematical Statistics(A), Data Analysis(A), Finite Mathematical Structures (B+),Applied Linear Algebra (A), Linear Algebra(fall), Real Analysis(fall),

Econ Courses: A's: Intro, Micro, Macro, Strategic thinking, Regional, Mathematical Statistics, Applied Microeconomics, Financial; Econometrics (A-), Money and Banking (B+)

Grad classes: Graduate Data Analysis (A), Introduction to Probability(B-), Microeconomics(fall)

Other Courses: Intro to comp. sci.(A)

Letters of Recommendation:

3 strong letters(Yale, Stanford, Hebrew University)

Research Experience: Independent research(fall) with Economics honors thesis

Teaching Experience: Grading assistant for intro to economics.

Research Interests: economics of education, family ( i guess labor, developement), applied microeconomics

SOP: hopefully, interesting.

Other: I have been part of a scientific research on arsenic in drinking water in bangladesh. Thus, I have been co-authored in a few science publications. I can get some very strong recommendations from some of these professors who are really well-known in their fields. would this strengthen my application?

more: I am thinking about applying to 5-6 top-10 schools. 4-5 top10-20, and 2-3 below top- 20. Is it too many schools?

I guess I should add goals and concerns like my commorades.

My goals: Either teaching or private sector with a relaxed position ( i don't know is it is possible). marriage within a few yrs. become a amateur soccer coach.

Concerns: grad micro and linear Algebra. marriage. screwing up application(lol. excuse my language).

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Comprehensive Canadian university that doesn't appear at econphd.net. (Memorial).

Undergrad GPA: 3.97 (4.0 math, 4.0 econ)

GRE: 800Q, 770V, 5.5A

N.B. My university doesn't actually award A+ for 90+, but I'll denote it as such anyway.

Math Courses: Calc II/III/IV (A,A+,IP), Analysis I/II(A+,A), Intro Stats/Probability(A+), Math Stats I(IP), Linear Algebra I(A+), Integration & Metric Spaces(IP), Discrete Math(A), ODE I(A+)

Econ Courses: Micro I/II/III(A+,A+,A+), Macro I/II/III(A+,A+,A), Intro Econ Stats(A+), Econometrics I/II(A+,A), Mathematical Economics I/II(A+,A+), I/O(A), Natural Resources(A), Cost-Benefit(A), Money & Banking(A+), Monetary(A), Adv. Environmental(IP), Health Econ(IP)

Letters of Recommendation: Fairly enthusiastic, I should imagine. I know my profs well - it's not unknown to spend a friday night in the economics seminar room hanging out with the resident macro/monetary prof. Ph.D's from Toronto, Notre Dame, and a third to be decided. Maybe a math prof from Western, or econ from Johns Hopkins. None of them with any notable publication record.

Research Experience: Nothing formal with a prof, but a couple of in-class papers I think are decent.

Teaching Experience: Department tutor for my third semester.

Research Interests: Economic growth, macro, econometrics.

SOP: Fairly strong, I hope. Tries to allay some concerns about the quality of the undergrad education. Points out my apparent dedication to the discipline, evidenced through my econ electives, and how I enjoy/am not afraid of the math.

Concerns: Recommenders aren't well known, from top institutions, and haven't done much research. Unknown undergrad.

Goals: Academia!

Applying to: UBC, Toronto, Queen's, Minnesota, Princeton, Yale, perhaps others? Tentative.

Other: Aged 20. Canadian citizen. Caucasian male.

GPA: 4.0 on all coursework

ECON: BS and MS from a regional state university.

MATH: Calculus I-IV (multivariate is split into two units here), Linear Algebra, Diff Eq, Topology. Taking Advanced Calculus and Prob/Stats this fall. In the spring I plan to take Advanced Calculus II and Prob/Stats II.

OTHER CLASSES: Logic

LOR: 3 strong letters from econ profs at my school.

RESEARCH: Master's research project, currently an RA working on three different papers with Econ profs, used to RA for a transportation prof.

TEACHING/TA/TUTORING: My primary job as a grad assistant during my MS program was tutoring undergrads. I also was a TA for lots of undergrad and grad (MBA & PhD Public Policy) courses. This fall I'm teaching micro principles at the local community college.

FIELDS: Urban/Regional, Public Econ, Law & Econ, I/O, Experimental

1ST GRE: 750 Q / 610 V / 4.0 AW; This was over two years ago for MS admission. At the time I was not planning on PhD work, so I was happy with my scores.

2ND GRE: 760 Q / 720 V / 4.0 AW; I was getting 800 Q on powerprep, so I am not happy with my score.

Schools I plan to apply to: Northwestern, Michigan, UIUC, Ohio State, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Houston, Georgia State

Goal: Tenure-track academic position at a research university.

Concerns: Coming from a lesser-known undergraduate institution could hurt me. My GRE quant score is disappointing. I think I might send in my scores as they are, then re-take the GRE and re-send my scores if I can improve my quant score. Another concern is making sure my wife can find a job where we move.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 25 per USNews (UVirginia), Math and Econ double

Undergrad GPA: 3.3, 3.4 in Econ, 3.0 in Math

Type of Grad: Master's in (applied) Mathematics, Clemson Univesity (Not sure of the ranking, top 100?)

Grad GPA: 4.0 through first year and summer courses

GRE: 800Q, 450V, 3.5 AW (Not great)

Math Courses: All the standard as an undergrad math major. I had a lot of B's in those classes, nothing worse than a B-. As a graduate student: Discrete Math (A), Matrix Algebra (A), Statistical Inference (A, Casella and Berger), Functional Analysis (A), Statistical Models (Regression, etc., A), Operations Research (Linear Programming, A), Probability (A), Stochastic Processes(A)

Econ Courses: The highlights are Intermediate Micro (A-), Intermediate Macro (B+), Game Theory (A-), Stat and Prob for Econ (A), Econometrics (B), Economics of Taxation (B+), Econ and Gender (A-), Money and Banking (B)

Other Courses: Well, I will be taking a lot more OR courses and some more analysis as well as computational math, but those won't help me much now.

Letters of Recommendation: Not from economists. Statistician, Operation Researchist, and Anaylsis Professor

Research Experience: None as of yet, will be starting this fall. Will maybe have more to say in a few months, but nothing of much significance.

Teaching Experience: Worked as TA last year and teaching two sections of a business calculus class this year.

Research Interests: Micro Theory and IO, perhaps econometrics

SOP: Well, since my graduate record is more appealing than my undergrad, I will focus on that and the courses I plan to take in the spring as well as my interests.

Other: American Male.

Applying to: Not final yet but: Virginia, UNC, Georgetown, OSU, UCI, USC, and looking for a few more schools. Please let me know if you have a few to add.

Goal: Unsure, industry or academia obviously.

Concerns. Hoping GRE V and AW won't hurt too much and undergraduate GPA was mediocre. However, hopefully they will realize the grading is tough at UVA(although that's not an excuse). Also, letters won't be from economists.

Good luck everybody.

SCHOOL: Oklahoma State University

MAJOR: undergraduate ECON (honors) and MATH

GPA: 3.93 overall, 4.0 Econ, 3.8ish Math

GRE: V 530, Q 790, AWA 5.0

Econ Courses: Intermediate Macro and Micro, Grad Leve Micro, and Math Econ

Math Courses: Calc I-III, DifEq, Linear, Vector Calc, Intro to Modern Algebra, Modern Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Mathematical Statistics I and II, and Advanced Calc I

Research: Honors Thesis

LOR: thesis advisor (econ), tenured professor (econ), and analysis professor (none of which are well known as far as I know)

Interests: Micro Theory, Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Applied Micro

Applying To: Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Northwestern, NYU, Wisc-Madison, UC-San Diego, Cornell, Virginia, UNC-Chapel Hill, Penn State, UIUC, and Arizona.

I'm hoping to get accepted to either Wisconsin or San Diego but might as well hope that the apparent randomness of admits works in my favor at the top programs

Concerns: My low GRE verbal score and undergraduate institution. Our Econ department does not have a good placement record, but our Math department consistently sends students to top 10 programs for mathematics.

Goals: Possibly work for the World Bank or IMF for a few years but ultimately want to end up in academia.

Other: I think it is funny that the lowest verbal scores (mine included) come from american students.

I think it is funny that the lowest verbal scores (mine included) come from american students.

A coworker of mine from India told me that a lot of her friends study ridiculously hard for the GRE because they want to come to the U.S. If they don't get accepted (with funding as well, I imagine), then they can't emigrate. U.S. citizens obviously don't have this incentive and hence we don't work too hard at learning all the vocabulary words precisely.

Personally, I spent 0 minutes studying for the verbal and about 30 minutes total for the writing (just reading some sample essays). I consider myself a good writer, but my strong point is style, of which diction is only one component. Usually I know a synonym of the word I am looking for and I use a thesaurus and dictionary to guide me to the best choice.

In general you just have to read a lot of different kinds of writing to gain a large, working vocabulary. I don't especially enjoy reading literature, relative to other leisure activities, so my vocabulary isn't very refined.

Regarding verbal GRE scores. Notice the verbal score of applicants from Canada and from the UK. Generally pretty high and probably without studying so much.

Another thought: Internationals who speak english do so because they have been taught in a formal manner and gained their vocabulary in clase or from reading. So their vocabulary does not contain slang and common words used everyday by americans. (Example: Like, hmmm yea.)

If the idea mentioned above regarding internationals having a higher score was meant to imply that the verbal test is 1) trainable and thus 2) does not measure real english or something like that is not clear to me. What is true is that a low score shows that you either a) have a low vocabulary or b) not motivated enough to study for it. Both bad. Then again I'm not sure how important this score is anyway....

What is true is that a low score shows that you either a) have a low vocabulary or b) not motivated enough to study for it. Both bad. Then again I'm not sure how important this score is anyway....

Or that your have a finite amount of time and that your time is better spent preparing for the quantitative. But I don't think you can pinpoint the exact reason.

Profile:

School: Top 50 US University. Top 50 economics department.

(I was a junior college transfer)

Major: Economics/Math BA

GPA: University GPA: 3.79, Junior College GPA: 3.61

(I only took math and econ courses at uni, so math and econ gpa's are around 3.8)

GRE: We'll see what happens on October 1.

Econ Courses: 3 Quarters Intermediate Micro. Intermediate Macro. Topics in Macro. 2 Quarters Econometrics. 2 Quarter Honors Thesis. (No graduate courses)

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Diff. Equations, 2 Quarters Advanced Linear Algebra (upper division), 2 Quarters Real Analysis.

Research: Honors Thesis on Spatial Competition. Fooling around with and writing my NSF grant research proposal on racial profiling during motor vehicle stops. The project is my boss' (see work).

Work: Currently a research assistant at an economic consulting firm for two tenured economists/professors. My boss was my time-series and discrete choice econometrics professor and I'd be thrilled to attend his university (he was visiting when he taught my course at my uni).

LORs: Real Analysis Prof (Math Dept Chair - PhD UCSD), Micro Theory Prof (Funded Chair and reasonably well known - PhD Stanford), Current Boss and former Econometrics Prof. (PhD MIT)

Research Interest: Micro Theory. Behavioral and possibly Experimental Economics. Applied Micro. Applied Micro-Econometrics.

Applying to: I could use a few suggestions. One obvious suggestion will be the top 20 school I have the highest hopes for. For reasons described above.

Or that your have a finite amount of time and that your time is better spent preparing for the quantitative. But I don't think you can pinpoint the exact reason.

Yes that is true given a fixed amount of time. Then again you can always alot more time to studying for the GRE.

Obviously time is scarce but I want to make the following point that I think is important for everyone. Most of the important things for your application are state variables that reflect a series of decisions made in the past. Good GPA, relationships with professors, research projects, your undergraduate institution etc. None of these are choice variables now at application time. In other words, you can't change the fact your GPA is not as good as you would like, or that you did't TA or RA with a good profesor. One of the few things you can do is study and get a decent GRE. Even if it is relatively unimportant, its all you can do now to compensate some of the gaps in your profile.

Finally, if getting into a PhD program of your choice is important to you, you should always have time to allocate to this objective. Party less, sleep less, study for class a little less, chat less on TM. So if some international can study and beat you at your own native language, what's going to stop that from happening in Real Analysis or on the job market for that matter. Do internationals not have other things to do with their time also, or are they (the ones who manage good GRE score) just more motivated and focused on their goals.

I hope this motivates people to give it their best shot, not to PM me with hate mail. As a caveat I think verbal scores only matter a lot if they are very very low and one should only study for it once a good quantitative score has been more or less secured.

hi guys. this is one of my first posts :)

i know my profile isn't nearly as strong as many of you regular posters (esp. in the math area), but here it is. please offer feedback and comments.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 7 economics department in the U.S (ranking fluctuates between 3 to 7, depending on source); university ranked top 20 overall (according to us news rank)

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 overall; 3.8 econ

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: 740Q, 570V, 5.5 AW :doh:

Math Courses: pitiful-- calculus, diff eq, probability, statistical inference, mathematical stats, (all A's, except calc II)

Econ Courses: economic principles (A-), intermediate micro (A), intermediate macro (A), econometrics (A+), law and economics (A), behavioral economics (A-), advanced micro theory (A), game theory (A)

Other Courses: finance (A-), independent research, honors senior thesis seminar

Letters of Recommendation: all well-known, highly published economists. LOR 1 is from a very well respected tenured econ and law professor (econ phd from Harvard, as well as various honorary law degrees- apparently John Rawls was on his dissertation committee); LOR 2 is from a young albeit ridiculously brilliant tenured professor (phd from MIT); LOR 3 is an associate professor who taught me advanced micro theory and game theory (phd from NYU)

Research Experience: independent research in law and economics (wrote various papers, but none published); research and lab experience for an econ grad student; currently writing a honors thesis

Teaching Experience: private tutoring

Research Interests: law and econ, behavioral economics, contract/mechanism design, game theory

SOP: will be stellar

Other: female, 21 years old

Applying to: mostly interested in law and economics programs (hence my lack of math might not be too much of a problem)- most schools that i'm looking at right now are ranked 30 and beyond

Goal: probably not academia since i'm very much aware that i won't be able to get into top 30

Concerns. lack of hardcore math; mediocre gres. hopefully the fact that my undergrad institution is rather prestigious (and consequently, my LOR are from well-known, respected economists) will make up for that....

please comment guys!!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top Israeli university.

Undergrad GPA: 94.1% (If 90+ is A, then it should be really close to 4.0 on an American scale).

Masters GPA: 96% (first year)

GRE: 800Q, 450V, 5.0 AW

TOEFL: 297/300 (I took the CBT two years ago, so I need to retake it)

Math Courses: Calculus, (simple and calculus-based) Statistics, Linear algebra and advanced calculus, as well as two advanced logic courses by the department of philosophy (all 90+). I might take the Real Analysis equivalent this semester.

Econ Courses: All around: undergrad: intro to econ I & II, price theory I & II, macro I & II, development, econ history, intro to econometrics, honors students seminar. MA: micro, macro I & II, industrial organization, econometrics I-III, econ history. All 90+

Letters of Recommendation: Haven't asked yet, but two will probably be good LORs from known professors. Still thinking about who to get my third LOR from.

Research Experience: About a semester of working as a RA.

Teaching Experience: Worked as TA last year and TAing 4-5 courses this year.

Research Interests: Many of them. Development - because of the importance of this issue, Economic History and Thought - for the intellectual bliss, IO - for the perspective on the business world. I really like Becker's models, so issues like economics of crime, family etc. are also very interesting. As long as it's not the boring monetary stuff - many interests, as I noted.

SOP: They say it doesn't make any difference, so I haven't put enough thought in it yet.

Other: Israeli Male.

Applying to: Some top-15 universities. Below that, I'm not sure it will worth the 5 years and thousands of miles away from here.

Goal: Right now, academia. But as the old Yiddish saying goes: "One plans, but God laughs" (it always sounds better in Yiddish ;))

Concerns. No Real Analysis yet (I understand that it's a strong signal for the adcoms). Uncertainty regarding the strength of the LORs. The stochastic part of the admissions process. Above all, leaving my home country for 5 years with my wife.

Happy new (Hebrew) year

Blessed Ramadhan too

I know it's off-topic but I think it's pretty cool that this year, the Jewish new year and the muslim ramadhan coincide. I hope it's not too miss-universe of me to say that maybe it's a chance for the believers of the two religions to reconciliate too. Just a hope. No intention to start a political debate.

• Like 1

i know my profile isn't nearly as strong as many of you regular posters (esp. in the math area), but here it is. please offer feedback and comments.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 7 economics department in the U.S (ranking fluctuates between 3 to 7, depending on source); university ranked top 20 overall (according to us news rank)

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 overall; 3.8 econ

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: 740Q, 570V, 5.5 AW :doh:

Math Courses: pitiful-- calculus, diff eq, probability, statistical inference, mathematical stats, (all A's, except calc II)

Econ Courses: economic principles (A-), intermediate micro (A), intermediate macro (A), econometrics (A+), law and economics (A), behavioral economics (A-), advanced micro theory (A), game theory (A)

Other Courses: finance (A-), independent research, honors senior thesis seminar

Letters of Recommendation: all well-known, highly published economists. LOR 1 is from a very well respected tenured econ and law professor (econ phd from Harvard, as well as various honorary law degrees- apparently John Rawls was on his dissertation committee); LOR 2 is from a young albeit ridiculously brilliant tenured professor (phd from MIT); LOR 3 is an associate professor who taught me advanced micro theory and game theory (phd from NYU)

Research Experience: independent research in law and economics (wrote various papers, but none published); research and lab experience for an econ grad student; currently writing a honors thesis

Teaching Experience: private tutoring

Research Interests: law and econ, behavioral economics, contract/mechanism design, game theory

SOP: will be stellar

Other: female, 21 years old

Applying to: mostly interested in law and economics programs (hence my lack of math might not be too much of a problem)- most schools that i'm looking at right now are ranked 30 and beyond

Goal: probably not academia since i'm very much aware that i won't be able to get into top 30

Concerns. lack of hardcore math; mediocre gres. hopefully the fact that my undergrad institution is rather prestigious (and consequently, my LOR are from well-known, respected economists) will make up for that....

please comment guys!!

Have you taken a Linear Algebra class? If not, can you take it in the spring so at least adcoms will know you will have it by the time you enter? Also, why not take your GRE again? I know it's a pain, but you have a pretty good profile and a better Q score could really improve it; just make sure you study for the test.

Fermat and Thesus, thank you both for the helpful comments.

I actually do plan on taking linear algebra in my final semester. (where in my application would i say that? that SOP presumable?) ... as for the GRE, yeah you're right- its a pain studying for and it'll be kind of hard to make time for it given my heavy course load this semester (20 units + thesis!). But the marginal benefit of getting that 800 or so probably outweighs the short-term pain i'll have to endure.

so just to sum up. most parts of my profile i can't change. but if i take linear algebra (and perhaps another adv. math class) in the spring + retake GRE to improve my Q score... then perhaps? what kind of schools do you think i'd be able to get into??

thanks in advance.

Your profile does not look bad at all. I think your low quant gre is the binding restriction for you. Maybe give it another shot. You still have time.:tup:

• 2 weeks later...

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: International, best in South Africa (University of Cape Town for those in the know)

Undergrad GPA: We don't use the GPA system. So far, about 80%, which is 4.0 according to the WES conversion scale.

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 800Q, 5.0 A, 670 V

Math Courses: Extrapolating slightly to the end of the year (since our year is February-November): A year and a half of calculus, Linear Algebra, Algebra I and II, Real Analysis, Metric Spaces, Complex Analysis, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis I + II, Differential Geometry, Topology I + II, Algebraic Topology. Almost all above 75%, so I guess A- to A+ range.

Undergrad thesis: Explained the Delbaen-Schachermayer version of the "Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing" (basically, a financial market satisfies No Arbitrage iff there exists an equvalent martingale ["risk-neutral"] probability measure). Essentially, it was just a whole lot of functional analysis and a little bit of stochastic integration.

Econ Courses: Intro macro/micro/game theory, Intermediate Macro/Micro, Honours Macro/Micro (i.e. 4th-yr level - we used adult Varian for micro, to give you an idea of the level), Undergrad Metrics and Quantitative Methods, Computational Political Economy (4th-yr elective on simulation methods and behavioural econ), Masters Econometrics, Masters/PhD Microeconometrics (in progress). All A- to A+ range.

Other Courses: 3 years of Mathematical Statistics, including stuff on: basic probability theory, regression analysis, stochastic processes/time series (not that I remember much of it!), Bayesian statistics, generalised linear models/qualitative regression models. Some basic applied math courses on ordinary differential equations (A's).

Letters of Recommendation: One should be very enthusiastic, from the one of the country's most hardcore empirical microeconomists (though his PhD is local)... another is likely to be good (I mean, I'm certain the guy thinks I'm smart, I got the second-best grade in his class), from quite a big-shot macro guy (PhD Cambridge, and he's co-authored some stuff with Phillip Aghion), but he's only taught me once. I'll probably use my honours thesis supervisor for the third one.

Research Experience: Not a lot... I've ostensibly been an RA for one professor for a summer, but I'm not sure how much work you should do to say this of yourself... I attempted to solve this game theory problem for him (he kind of gave me a half-finished paper of his and said "Can you fix this up?"... I couldn't). So not so impressive on this front I think.

Teaching Experience: Tutor for intermediate micro for two years, rewrote some of the problem sets for the same course.

Research Interests: Development micro, game theory, criminology

SOP: Haven't written it yet. I'll probably say something about the kinds of phenomena I find interesting, mention some papers I've read and liked, and hope for the best.

Weaknesses: No research experience, from a relatively unknown university; no money to live off of if financial aid is denied.

Applying to top 10 and Michigan, possibly Oxford and LSE too (several people from my university have gotten in at Michigan and Oxford before, so they're the somewhat safer options). If I get denied everywhere, I'll take a year to work as an RA and apply again next year, lower down the ranks.

Type of Undergrad: McGill U( Canada )

Undergrad GPA: 3.7X

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: ---not yet---Coming next week.

Math Courses: Matrix Algebra A, Linear Algebra A, Analysis 1 A-, Abstract Algebra B, ODE A, Probability A, Calculus 3 A, Vector Calculus A, Currently taking Grad Mathematical Statistics and Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos

Econ Courses: Inter Micro A-, Macro A, Econometrics A-, Advanced Econ A-, Game Theory A, Money and Banking A, IO B-, Labour Econ B+, One project Research on Search Theory with A. Currently taking Grad Microeconomic Theory 1.

Other Courses: Got one business degree at HKU with graduation gpa 3.9x.

Took some very very basic Econ and Math class with all As.

Interest Fleid: Growth Theory or/and Game Theory.

Still dont know what range of Universities and how many universities should I apply to?

I will be applying this year. I'm a double major math/econ, with all the necessary coursework/scores/GPA. I have strong LORs and significant research experience. My interests are development and micro theory, and I'm targeting top 10.

My concerns mostly revolve around my schooling- small LAC adds some uncertainty to my preparation. I've taken some advanced econ at a top 10 department and got A's (and offers for recs), so I'm hoping adcoms will take this as evidence of my ability.

Mostly I'm excited to finally be at this stage, applications have been the big uncertainty in my future for the last few years, and I'm ready to know where I'm ending up. I know economic research is what I will be doing with my life, it's just a matter of where, so I'm trying to keep some perspective on the process.

• 3 weeks later...