Urch Forums

MSc Management & Economics @ LSE - Does anyone know about this program ?

asianeconomist

I just came across this program at the LSE,

MSc Management & Economics

MSc Management and Economics - Taught programmes - Graduate Prospectus - Graduate Admissions - LSE

It's a relatively new program (started in 2007) & expects applicants to have an economics degree.

My guess is that this would be relatively easier to get into because:

1. The hard-core (research-bent) economics students would not opt for this (as it offers little opportunities for a PhD).

2. Business Grads with adequate economics background would rather opt for an MBA.

3. Students who wish to be Professional economists would rather apply to the MSc Economics (more relevant, better faculty).

And why would you want to do this course? As you said it is really new course (it is offerend for the first time at LSE this year) and it won't prepare you for academia at all. If you want to go to the City then yes, it is good program. But if you want to go for a academia then better apply for a MSc Econ or even better for MSc Econometrics and Math Econ (but this one only if you background in stats and econometrics is very strong).

And why would you want to do this course? As you said it is really new course (it is offerend for the first time at LSE this year) and it won't prepare you for academia at all. If you want to go to the City then yes, it is good program. But if you want to go for a academia then better apply for a MSc Econ or even better for MSc Econometrics and Math Econ (but this one only if you background in stats and econometrics is very strong).

Hey, I never mentioned that I want to enroll myself in this course. I just wanted to see whether anyone was familiar with it.

I see. But it is really new course so noone is really familiar with it :)

And as I wrote above: it iseems as a good program if one wants to go to work straight after it. But if one wants to do ph.d after it, it is waste of time in my opinion.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting a long dead thread but I work at LSE (marcoms in the Dept of Management). I found this thread in Google when searching for Management & Economics and I thought I really should clarify on some of the points raised in case any potential applicant stumbles upon it.

The MSc Management and Economics programme does not cover any macroeconomics so as noted it may not be the best preparation for many Economics PhD programmes however for any PhD in the areas of Managerial Economics, Business Economics or Strategy it is very good preparation (indeed 3 of last years class of 20 are now studying towards a PhD).

It is certainly as difficult to secure a place on the programme as it is to secure on on the standard MSc Economics - last year there were almost 15 applications per place. And of course I would strongly disagree with the comment about the faculty on the MSc Economics being better but then again I do work in the Department of Management so I am bound to say this! The programme is run in partnership with the Economics Dept and is the baby of Professor John Sutton (one of world's experts on industrial organisation and previously the head of the Economics Dept) and Professor Luis Garicano (previously one of Chicago GSB's top economics professors).

No probelm - I agree but I don't this is the best place to post this though.

I don't think the URCH forums should be about schools marketing their wares - it's more about students finding out what programmes are really like behind the marketing messages and stats. If anyone is interested in the programme then the should drop me a line

Actually, I believe these forums are actually one of the better places to put a complete placement record for your program's graduates.

One of the recurrent pieces of advice you'll find on these forums with regard to selecting graduate programs is to look at their placement history. It would therefore be appropriate, not to mention convenient. for forum users to find the placement of this program here.

Of course, I'm assuming these people would be using the forums' search function...

• 1 year later...
No probelm - I agree but I don't this is the best place to post this though.

I don't think the URCH forums should be about schools marketing their wares - it's more about students finding out what programmes are really like behind the marketing messages and stats. If anyone is interested in the programme then the should drop me a line

Hi, what would be the best email, to ask a few additional questions about the program?

Thanks

• 5 months later...
Apologies for resurrecting a long dead thread but I work at LSE (marcoms in the Dept of Management). I found this thread in Google when searching for Management & Economics and I thought I really should clarify on some of the points raised in case any potential applicant stumbles upon it.

The MSc Management and Economics programme does not cover any macroeconomics so as noted it may not be the best preparation for many Economics PhD programmes however for any PhD in the areas of Managerial Economics, Business Economics or Strategy it is very good preparation (indeed 3 of last years class of 20 are now studying towards a PhD).

It is certainly as difficult to secure a place on the programme as it is to secure on on the standard MSc Economics - last year there were almost 15 applications per place. And of course I would strongly disagree with the comment about the faculty on the MSc Economics being better but then again I do work in the Department of Management so I am bound to say this! The programme is run in partnership with the Economics Dept and is the baby of Professor John Sutton (one of world's experts on industrial organisation and previously the head of the Economics Dept) and Professor Luis Garicano (previously one of Chicago GSB's top economics professors).

Ressurecting again the thread, I'm really interested in this MSc and I have some questions about it, other Master's and LSE in general. Can you please send me your email? Thank you very much

Hi All

I am a resident of India, planning to apply for M.Sc Economics next year (2013 fall) in US/UK.

B.A Economics Hons (2007 pass out)

MBA, Finance (2009 pass out)

3 years of work experience in economics/financial research and consulting

From my research till now, I have found out that most of the universities provide M,Sc Economics (1/2 years course) for students who have done their graduation and PhD courses for post graduates. Now, I am a bit confused, as to which course I should ideally look at, given my qualifications - M.Sc or PhD? I want to work as a professional economist in the public/private sector, after the course (not planning to enter teaching line or academics).

It would be great if anyone could suggest/guide me as to which course would ideally suit my objectives and background. Also, which one is easier to get through? Thanks a lot!

Niti

Hi Niti

To be honest it is really difficult to give an indication as to whether you have the background suitable for either an MSc or PhD programme without more information. As you want to work professionally rather than enter academia I would advise you to consider an MSc programme. You probably don't want to wait for 4 years or more to gain a PhD and so you may find it hard to maintain the discipline required and there is also the opportunity cost from taking a 4/5 year programme. In addition, to gain entry to a good PhD programme you would probably need to do an MSc programme anyway and many selectors will not regard a BA and MBA as good preperation for a PhD programme.

Hope this helps

James

Ok, makes sense. Yes, very helpful. :) Also, it would be great if you could help me two more questions-:

a) Could you give me a fair idea of the top colleges in US and UK to apply for a M.Sc programme? As of now, I have listed down a few top-notch colleges to apply to but I would rather keep a balanced list of top and mid tier universities to hedge my chances of getting in. The current list looks something like this - Harvard, Oxford, MIT, Yale, Princeton, UCL, LSE, Cambridge, Warwick. Most of the universities in the list are top-tier univ, which are very hard to get in. Would you have any exposure on the mid-tier universities (comparatively easier to get in), that I could replace some univ with, in the list to make it more comprehensive? To give you a brief background on my academic scores - got a 67% in B.A Economics Hons (considered to be above average in India, considering the difficulty level of the course) and 7.6 GPA (on a scale of 10) in MBA. I am still to give my GRE in April this year.

Would be great if you could suggest some additional colleges, to apply to.

b) What is the minimum/decent score required in GRE, to be apply to M.Sc Economics in top/mid tier univ? As per my knowledge, one requires a minimum of 160 (90%) in Quant and 150-155 (70-80%) in Verbal Reasoning. Is there a such minimum cut off? Also, if I fall short of this cut off (esp. in Quants) does it really diminish my chances of getting in a good college?

Thanks so much for your help!

Niti

Hi Niti

Unfortuntately I can't really say on US colleges but your UK list looks about right - possibly with the addition of Oxford. If you wanted to consider other UK School then possibly Essex, Nottingham or Bristol may be of interest. I can't really give any indication as to how difficult it is to gain entry to their programmes.

As to your grades, your BA score is competitive however the selectors with pay particular attention to the School you studied at. For the MSc Economics and Management programme I'm afraid that your GRE quant score is possibly too low. Unfortunately this may diminish your changes as generally the selectors will be looking a GRE quant score slightly higher than this. They are usually not too concerned with a relatively low verbal score. The GRE score is but one factor and they will look at your complete application so it is not possible to give you a definite indication. Hope you understand.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm trying to decide between this program at LSE and the MA in Economics at NYU -- I'm hoping to eventually pursue a phD in Business economics but have a very weak math/economics background. Which would improve my chances of getting into a top phD program? I'd really appreciate any advice at all!!

jbrowne, I'd love to get your thoughts on the LSE program. Would you mind sending me your email? Thanks!

Hi

How much did you score in GRE? I am also planning to apply for M.Sc/M.A Economics next year fall semester, but not sure if my GRE is sufficient. I got 156Q and 146V - unofficial scores. I already have a MBAa degree as per academics records and 3 years of work exp in research and consulting. You think this is sufficient to apply to decently good univ in US? I have sent free ETS reports to MIT, LSE, UC San Diego and NYU as of now. Would be great to have your thoughts;

Niti

Hi

How much did you score in GRE? I am also planning to apply for M.Sc/M.A Economics next year fall semester, but not sure if my GRE is sufficient. I got 156Q and 146V - unofficial scores. I already have a MBAa degree as per academics records and 3 years of work exp in research and consulting. You think this is sufficient to apply to decently good univ in US? I have sent free ETS reports to MIT, LSE, UC San Diego and NYU as of now. Would be great to have your thoughts;

Niti

Hi there, I received a 161Q and 167V on the GRE and had a 760 on my GMAT from a few years ago. I can't speak to the criteria for admission especially at schools other than LSE/NYU (only applied to those two), but I can give you my profile. I graduated at the top 5% of my class at a top tier US university, and have a M.Sc in another area from top tier UK university. I had ~1.5yrs of work experience in research/consulting. I think though that both programs (for me) were willing overlook my weak quantitative record, and it seemed to me that the bar for admission at the MA at NYU was a little lower than the LSE program.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I am preparing my application for the MSc programme in LSE, and struggling between some programmes, especially between the MSc Economic and Management and Developed Management. Can you please send me your email because I really have some questions to ask. Very appreciate

• 2 months later...

Ressurecting again, I'm a prospective student really interested in this MSc@LSE and have many questions about it, other Master's in Econ and LSE in general. Could you please send me details via email? Thank you very much.