Urch Forums

Help me choose where to study for a masters

tim1012

Hi everyone, I`m a latin american student and I`ve been reading a lot of helpful information about the phd`s admissions procedures. I`d really appreciate if you help me by choosing where to study for a masters in economics and my realistic chance of getting accepted to them. My preliminary list contains European masters as well as Americans. Although I`ve read over and over that masters in economics in United States are not a good preparation for a phd, I have to consider this option since my decision also depends on the scholarship I earn, and there are few to the US.

I studied economics from a not very known university and graduated with a 3.4 GPA. I did a lot of econ courses, but very few math courses (Calc I, Mathematical Economics). I haven’t taken the GRE but I`m expecting a Q score of around 720-750. I know my profile is weak, and because of this I have to do a masters before applying to a phd in the US (my goal would be top 60-100, with funding).

Here`s my list:

Spain:

• CEMFI Msc in Economics and Finance
  • Universidad de Alicante Msc in Quantitative Economics
  • Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona (UAB) Msc in Economic Análisis

United States:

• JHU MA in Applied Economics
  • NYU MA in Economics
  • BU MA in Economic Policy
  • The New School for Social Research Msc in Economics
  • Fordham MA in Economics

P.S.: I`m not considering Canada or any other country because Spain and United States are the only countries I can go with a scholarship.

Thanks in advanced

I`d really appreciate if you help me by choosing where to study for a masters in economics and my realistic chance of getting accepted to them. My preliminary list contains European masters as well as Americans. Although

the best economic master in spain is pompeu fabra, i think the admission is not extremely competitive (it is more difficult enter in the phd at upf), so you can give it a try.

iugi

I always thought that Pompeu Fabra is nearly as selective as the top UK MSc programs ex. LSE,UCL..... To the OP: If you are really bent on Europe, then consider: 1/ MPhil/MSc @ Tilburg 2/ MSc at Bocconi Also, the Masters program at JHU is often taken by professionals and is probably not a great preparation for a PhD. Other TM-members have suggested that top latin american programs (Rio, Tella) place really well in the top 5.Therefore, you might consider that option too.

Thank you all for posting...

Young economist... I saw the program and i believe Tufts is a good university in general, but I believe the program is not very flexible, because it has a 6 course core, and only two electives. Also, do you think the placement is good?

Iugi, I`m still not sure about applying to Pompeu Fabra because it probably will be more dificult to get accepted there due to competition, but I think I`ll give it a try.

Asian economist, thanks for the info.

Thank you all for posting...

Young economist... I saw the program and i believe Tufts is a good university in general, but I believe the program is not very flexible, because it has a 6 course core, and only two electives. Also, do you think the placement is good?

Iugi, I`m still not sure about applying to Pompeu Fabra because it probably will be more dificult to get accepted there due to competition, but I think I`ll give it a try.

Asian economist, thanks for the info.

Well, if Tufts isn't flexible enough for you then it's probably not a good fit. Do you need additional math courses? Is that why you need a flexible program? If so, you might be able to extend your time at Tufts to 1.5 years and fit in some math courses.

As far as placement goes, I thought it does fairly well for a US masters program. Check around on the website to be sure, but I thought I read that they've sent some people to decent PhD programs.

Pompeu Fabra is very selective, but you do have a fair chance to get in. Alicante is probably not that hot, but they have close ties to the Minnesota Econ Dept., which gives you an idea of how strong they are theoretically and quantitatively. As for US programs, I heard NYU's is just a bumped-up undergrad. Duke's masters program is actually very good, and flexible enough so you can take courses at the math department or the Fuqua school of business.

I guess if i can stay there another semester to improve my math, then is a good choice. As I kept reading they`re site, I saw they placed students at MIT, Harvard, Columbia... plus is only 5 miles from Boston! I will defenetly apply there, thanks young economist.

Mr. Keen, would it be best to apply for the Msc, MAS or the Mres, and which program is the less dificult for admissions.

• 4 weeks later...

MSc in Econ from American schools is largely a waste of time. If you want to get a degree as an intermediate step to a PhD, get a Master's in Mathematics or Statistics.

And study hard to get that Q score up. I am of the belief that anybody can score the requisite 770 with enough study.

MSc in Econ from American schools is largely a waste of time. If you want to get a degree as an intermediate step to a PhD, get a Master's in Mathematics or Statistics.

And study hard to get that Q score up. I am of the belief that anybody can score the requisite 770 with enough study.

I agree with you that the Master of mathematics and statistics is more useful than economics to PHd. But not everyone can go to this master program...is it? Take me as an example: I study in finance, how can I apply a mathe master program? it is too high for me to apply Phd of economics because I lack of research background and a low score in Toefl....

so I have to apply master...

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with you that the Master of mathematics and statistics is more useful than economics to PHd. But not everyone can go to this master program...is it? Take me as an example: I study in finance, how can I apply a mathe master program? it is too high for me to apply Phd of economics because I lack of research background and a low score in Toefl....

so I have to apply master...

Olm's advice is not for 'everybody' but its for the OP. I think he qualifies for a Statistics MA assuming there would have been a basic probability/statistics course in his economics UG.

I think since he's already taken a 'lot of eco courses' a statistics MA will better complement his UG and let him take math courses as well. MA Math may not be a good advice because it requires taking GRE subject test in mathematics and I guess is a competitive program to get good grades.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone! I just got into a Quantitative Economics Program at University of Alicante. I am a bit scared because I heard the first two years are very difficult, although not impossible to surpass. Have you heard anything about this program?

Thanks

BG

Hi everyone! I just got into a Quantitative Economics Program at University of Alicante. I am a bit scared because I heard the first two years are very difficult, although not impossible to surpass. Have you heard anything about this program?

Thanks

BG

You'd be well advised to post your questions in a relevant thread. This thread was 6-7 months old before you posted. :sleepy: