Urch Forums

Which schools REQUIRE the Toefl?

Ricardinho

Duke requires all international students whose native language are not English to take TOEFL no matter where they receive their undergraduate degrees. And this policy applies to all its graduate programs I believe. As far as I know, it's the only school that imposes such a strict requirement and that's why I dropped it off from my list. There's no way I would pay $150 to take a test which does not tell much about one's English skill..

What about Chicago? They say they may waive it if you have studied for a year or so in an English speaking country. I'm an international student who's studied abroad in an English speaking country for a long time. I was a bit unsure about the Chicago waiver as they say that they MAY waive it; they don't say that they WILL waive it. I even emailed them twice to check: no reply. I emailed all my other schools, and they promptly replied that I do not need to do the TOEFL. Any insight on Chicago?