Urch Forums

Univ of California, Irvine

arshadrahman25

They also have Prof Branch, also assistant prof, who edits some journal in monetary economics. So, Irvine seems like a reasonable school to study monetary economics among the lower ranked departments. I also heard you can take classes at UCLA, but that's 60 miles away in LA traffic, so I am not sure how useful is that.

One caution on doing macro at Irvine. Both of their macro people, while good, work in the fairly narrow area of bounded rationality. You should be sure that you like this type of macro being going there.

Fabio is working mostly on Bayesian Econometrics,monetary policy and DSGE!

on econphd, Irvine is ranked top 10 for public economics, social choice theory, and political economy. and a few of you mentioned some macro stuff, but do they have any other strengths?

Looking at the recent hires (4 recently hired assistant professors, most published papers by now) they're probably trying to build a good group for macro, but I don't think macroeconomics is their strength right now. It's certainly an active field there. But you're right about political economy, public economics, and public choice. Also, they have Dale Poirier and several assistant professors who specialize in Bayesian econometrics.

• 2 weeks later...

On spring break now, so I'd thought I'd drop my 2:2cents:. So far, I love it here in Irvine. Don Saari is almost like a fictional character in that he is almost too good to be a real person. Neumark is also a really cool guy and if you're into macro and you visit talk to Branch or Garfinkel 2 of my favorite profs here. So far, I haven't found the coursework except for Porrier's Bayesian econometrics class to be that challenging. I take off 2-3 days a week to go the beach, hiking/mountain biking, dim-sum, sushi, Vegas whatever you get the point the possibilities in LA are pretty much endless. I do have to cram for finals/midterms, but the beauty of a quarter system is that cramming works. The weather is doesn't need any more superlatives, but coming from the East Coast I don't miss my morning ritual of hacking my car free from its patina ice. The department is very strong in the applied micro fields (Labor, Political Economy, etc) and is aggressively hiring more macro faculty.

If, you have any questions drop me a PM or reply to this thread.

Sorry for the following question and maybe it's 100% clear for most of you buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut: What is defense economics???:hmm::hmm:

Defence Economics is the field of Economics that undertakes research into all aspects of the economics of conflict, defence, disarmament, conversion, peace and conflict

Defence Economics is the field of Economics that undertakes research into all aspects of the economics of conflict, defence, disarmament, conversion, peace and conflict

Check out Stergios Skaperdas' profile. I'm not really in the know, but he seems to be doing some really innovative stuff.

• 2 weeks later...