Urch Forums

UPF vs LSE

mojito08

It depends where you want to go for PhD. If you are looking at the US, I would say go for UPF. They have a fantastic reputation for sending students to good US schools - at least as good as the LSE's. IMO the limiting factor here is you, not whether you go to LSE or UPF. Both schools will not limit you in any way, it is up to you to perform well.

In this sense I think that it is not worth the extra money to go to LSE.

However if you want to do a PhD at LSE then clearly LSE might be better, since conditional on satisfactory grades you may progress to their PhD. Also for PhD in the UK LSE might be better (this I am not sure of though).

I want to second everything canecon said. One other thing which might work in your favour is that if you decide to apply this fall, you'll be able to send in fall grades if you go to UPF, although you probably won't be able to get new recommendations.

But the most important thing is to perform well wherever you go, as canecon said.

upf deadline is 15th april (payment) and lse didnt really specify the deadline... I am also interested in the quality of PhD at UPF and other eu phd programs. usually people here mostly talk about Msc only, but I would really appreciate opinions about PhD in Europe.