Urch Forums

Have anyone heard from Toronto MA and Toronto MFE?

manho

I also haven't heard from them yet. :(

I know. I'm checking my emails like 6 times a day now. UT is my only hope left. Already got rejected from Queens and UBC (both MSc Finance)

Really hoping that UT's 1st round (assuming last week) admission decision was too late that most people have already decided on going somewhere else and rejected their offers. Heh.

Guest orhanzsanus

Hi,

I applied to the MFE program as well, and I haven't heard back from them! I tried calling in Jennifer Liang a couple of times this week, but she doesn't pick up, and other people at Rotman and the Econ department are far from being any use when it comes to finding out the results.I guess I'll have to wait and see...

I really want to go to the UofT though...fingers crossed!;)

Please update me when you get your results.

Fresh baked from the oven. I've just recieved an email from them 2 hours ago (very suprising to recieve such email on a Saturday)

The email is as follow:

Thank you for your application to our MA-Regular Stream program. We

wanted to inform you that you are on our waiting list, and we plan to

send out the next round of offers very shortly.

However, we would very much appreciate if you could provide answers to

the following questions:

1. Are you interested in receiving an offer from the University of

Toronto Economics MA Program?

2. Are you presently holding other offers? If so, what are the

deadlines and the financial support that is being provided?

My question becomes. What do you think is the purpose of question 2? Are they're trying to be competitive if someone already has an offered? Or are they trying to put those who have no offers further on hold?

Fresh baked from the oven. I've just recieved an email from them 2 hours ago (very suprising to recieve such email on a Saturday)

The email is as follow:

Thank you for your application to our MA-Regular Stream program. We

wanted to inform you that you are on our waiting list, and we plan to

send out the next round of offers very shortly.

However, we would very much appreciate if you could provide answers to

the following questions:

1. Are you interested in receiving an offer from the University of

Toronto Economics MA Program?

2. Are you presently holding other offers? If so, what are the

deadlines and the financial support that is being provided?

My question becomes. What do you think is the purpose of question 2? Are they're trying to be competitive if someone already has an offered? Or are they trying to put those who have no offers further on hold?

Well, originally I wasn't going to accept Toronto's offer because it was with no funding (Toronto ain't cheap!) and I had a competing offer from SFU, but when I told the department they virtually matched SFU. I would guess that they are planning on offering those money or a TAships to those who are on the waiting list but with competing offers.

congrats! Are you taking the offer?

Most likely, unless I get a very late offer with funding from Queen's. I would like to be able spread out my graduate courses over 3 semesters and write a thesis at Queen's rather than take 8 graduate econ courses in 8 months at Toronto.

What do you think is the purpose of question 2?

In case they want to admit you, they may want to match your offer from some other place. For instance, when I got my DS-MA offer, the guy wrote that "If you are in possession of more favourable offers from other distinguished departments, I would be pleased to discuss your offer further." I interpret this to mean that they do indeed try to match offers from other institutions.

If I were you, and already hold some funded offers from elsewhere, I would tell them that, and add that you have a strong preference for Toronto, but find yourself financially strained or the like. If I had no offers from elsewhere, I wouldn't mention anything about other institutions, just reply shortly and politely that I'm still interested in attending. :grad:

hey manho, i actually got the same email from Adonis Yatchew. To those asking questions with regards to the MFE program, they have sent the offers a long time ago. A friend of mine who's doing MA Econ at YorkU got an offer for MFE, after being waitlisted. That's how competitive the program is. The coordinator told me that they have messaged those waitlisted as well. So, if you haven't heard from the, I'm sad to say that you weren't accepted to the program. I applied for MFE too. I guess I'm rejected too.

The email Yatchew sent from UofT is very intriguing. Would they really offer you funding just to match what other programs are offering you? Interesting.

To the person who compared SFU funding to Toronto's "zero" funding:

AT SFU, I am assuming they gave you something like 15+k for 3 semester worth of TAship.

At Toronto, virtually everyone who wants a TAship gets one. If you get a full TA-ship at Toronto for 2 semesters, that's 10k right there!

Also, you can apply for summer TAship if you want.

AT SFU, I am assuming they gave you something like 15+k for 3 semester worth of TAship.

At Toronto, virtually everyone who wants a TAship gets one. If you get a full TA-ship at Toronto for 2 semesters, that's 10k right there!

This is exactly what I got. SFU actually pays $16.1K for the 3 semesters for a TA position but since I am from Ontario my travel costs make up the slight difference per semester.

Yep offers were supposed to be out in mid March. I spoke to Ms. Liang in March and she told me this. I didn't apply but am planning to apply next year. They only take in around 5 international students into the program each year and it is very competitive. I believe she also said that the MFE program accepts around 25 students each year.

Another fresh baked from the over (from 20 minutes ago):

"I am pleased to offer you entry into our MA program. Shannon Elliott, our

Graduate Administrator will be emailing you the details of the offer. You

will have 10 days to decide whether you want to accept."

Woot woot!! :grad:

I'm pretty positive that I'm accepting this (I doubt I got into MFE... but I'll try to call and check)

Oh serious. We could apply for summer TAship?

Is the paid good?

Your offer letter says "The January 2008 rate of pay for teaching assistants is $36.35 per hour." in footnote 3 on page 3. Whether this is good or not probably depends on how many hours you can get. It's probably better than Tim Horton's. :)

It s way better than working in Tim Horton's.:tup:

Guest orhanzsanus

It says 'decision made' made on the SGS website (since yesterday)...But no clue to what it is! So I guess my rejection letter is on its way:hmm:

Well anyway, all in all, it seems like i'm off to warwick msc f+e