Urch Forums

LSE Comparative Politics (pol econ) MSc bad on CV for PhD economics entry?

ekon_08

My interests lie on the intersection of economics and political science. After much contemplation I decided to apply to the Comparative Politics program at the government department in LSE (politics and markets stream) and got accepted for entry this fall.

However, in the future I think I would be more interested in a PhD in Economics, preferably in the US. As I put the scenario I would take a masters degree in economics after my degree at LSE (i.e. at UPF, QEM Mundos program, UCL) - so essentially I would hold 2 masters degrees (one in political science and one in economics), already having an undergraduate education in economics.

Would the sidestep into political science at LSE hurt my chances of getting into a top phd program in the US? Would they see it as a sign of a lack of focus or dedication?

I realize this might be a strange question at this forum - i'd appreciate any advice :)

On the contrary, I think that would demonstrate commitment to political economy. I have a friend at U of Siena who has one master's in economics, and one in creative writing. Another of my friends (at UCLA) has an undergraduate degree in history and economics. So I don't think that an interdisciplinary background hurts at all.

LSE is one of the top places for economics and political science programs and I don't see how it'd harm your chances to get into a top econ. school in the States. Interdisciplinary is always good.

I think your comparative politics MA will be especially helpful if your research interest includes political economy as it will sync well with the LSE MA degree.

Thanks for the advice ForTheWin and Agerwean. Does anyone else want to add their two cents?

The schools I am most interested in in the US are Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, UCSD and Cornell, and my main interests lie in political economy (obviously!), public finance, behavioral economics and applied micro.