Urch Forums

Grad school admission Gpa requirement

Explorer

Hi guys,

I know that 3.0 is a pretty standard gpa requirement for admission in graduate school. I am wondering, if a student has a 4.0 undergraduate gpa and 2.9 graudate gpa from one-semester course work in a PhD program in economics, does he/she not satisfy the admission requirement for a PhD in Sociology? Even if he/she satisifies the admission requirement, is the hope of financial aid totally lost? Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions.

~e

You may want to contact a graduate secretary somewhere. I couldn't imagine anyone having reliable advice for your question, seeing as the admissions process is relatively random as it is, and you're speaking of a scenario that is so specialized, that people here (at least I think,) wouldn't be able to do anything but speculate.

I say this not to be cruel, but to save you from taking advice that may only be speculative at best, and then being hurt by it in the long run.

Best Wishes,

Canuck.

I say this not to be cruel, but to save you from taking advice that may only be speculative at best, and then being hurt by it in the long run.

Hey Canuck, I didn't think there was anything cruel about what you said. I actually thought that what you said was good news to me. I mean, at least it's not an obvious thing that I wouldn't satisfy the grad school gpa requirement. That can only be hopeful. But anyhow, I will take your advice and drop an email to the graduate secretary at one of the schools on my shortlist.