Urch Forums

Msc in UK - How difficult is to have a distinction?

Chopov

I have offers for both LSE and UCL Msc in Economics. I have to decide where to go within next week or so. My interests are labor and applied microeconomtrics and I want to pursue a Phd (in the same university) after the Msc.

Then, anybody knows how difficult is to get a distinction in a Msc in Economics at a top UK University (i.e LSE or UCL)? Also, anybody know how many students get a distinction?

It is a though decision so any information is more than welcome.

Guest Blondin

Hi,

First of all congratulations for your offers!

I think that obtaining a distinction is doable if you work seriously enough.

I was enroled in the MSc EME at LSE, and throughout the year thought I would never pass the program. I did not work much or prepare classes. Then I started preparing for the exams, worked hard, and ended with a merit, missing the distinction by two percent.

The 'morale' of my story is that I think most of the sudents in such programs have the ability to get very good grades, if only they work hard/seriously enough.

Regarding your interests in labour and applied microeconometrics, UCL is the place to go!

Do you (or any other) have an idea on how hard it is to get to continue for a PhD in UCL? If I remember correctly, it is said on the website of LSE that you need a distiction in the MSc but I haven't found similar information regarding UCL.

I was hoping to get admitted to the MSc programme in UCL next year and aim for a PhD there so that's why I'm asking...

Hi,

First of all congratulations for your offers!

I think that obtaining a distinction is doable if you work seriously enough.

I was enroled in the MSc EME at LSE, and throughout the year thought I would never pass the program. I did not work much or prepare classes. Then I started preparing for the exams, worked hard, and ended with a merit, missing the distinction by two percent.

The 'morale' of my story is that I think most of the sudents in such programs have the ability to get very good grades, if only they work hard/seriously enough.

Regarding your interests in labour and applied microeconometrics, UCL is the place to go!

I will probably go to UCL. Just that declining an offer from LSE is not easy...

As the only general guideline I'd give, try to find some actual current students there to ask, because the official rules and what schools actually do is often different. I knew one girl who was allowed to continue to a Ph.D. in a "distinction-only" progression who had a 63; of course, that was very unusual (she must have had a really great thesis idea), and hence the story was repeated, but still.

Apart from that, rules vary so much not just across different schools but across different programs in different schools that yea, other "generic" advice wouldn't help you. But do keep trying to inquire from students in those exact programs, if you don't find any here, because what they tell you might be different from what the graduate secretary or a professor says.

I will probably go to UCL. Just that declining an offer from LSE is not easy...

UCL and LSE are both great programs, so I wouldn't feel bad choosing one for the other. Keep in mind that UCL does rank better in some fields than LSE. You've got two fantastic offers, so don't feel concerned choosing one for the other. Things will all work out in the end if you work hard. (I turned LSE down this year for Queen's, and I have no concerns about it.)

Cheers,

Canuck.

Guest Blondin
Another option would be to go to LSE and then apply for the PhD programs. LSE is indeed a nice brand name, and it could be helpful if you start having doubts about pursuing an academic career.

Could be. But I was thinking on doing the Msc and Phd in the same university in order to have contact with faculty as earliest as possible.

Any information on the number of studentes getting distinction? Blondin? How about LSE?

Guest Blondin

Any information on the number of studentes getting distinction? Blondin? How about LSE?

I think three people got a distinction when I was there, out of a class of ~25. I don't know about the MSc Econ though.

I am from LSE. Getting distinction is something pretty difficult. If you are really PhD material you should not have problem with it, but surprisingly many people convince themselves that they are not as good as they thought.

When I came to LSE I thought 70% - that must be easy...

But you can expect 70% from the exam when you have everything correct. If you screw up any on the exam you should not expect 70%....

This may be a dum question, but do you need to be distinction material in order to progress to the second year from Msc at LSE?

Sorry, but I was talking about the Msc 1 year program. You should get a distinction to continue to the Mphil/Phd.

Any other experience on LSE or UCL (or other top UK program)?

I've got some official stats (most recent)

(D=Distinction, M=Merit, P=Pass, Fail=F)

MSc EME 1D, 3M, 4P Rest=F

MSc Economics History 1D, 16M, 16P, Rest=F

MSc Finance and Econ 8D, 22M, 31P, Rest=F

MSc L Econ Dev 2D, 21M, 11P, Rest=F

MSc Risk 0D, 32M, 8P, Rest=F

MSc Develop 4D, 54M, 11P Rest=F

MSc Econ (Res) 3D, 5M, 2P

MSc Econ (2Y) 3D, 3M, 5P

Time Series:

D 6.12 % M 10.20 % P 59.18 % F 24.49 %

Stochastic Processes:

D 9.26 % M 14.81 % P 44.44 % F 31.48 %

Methods of Economic Investigation

D 28 20.14 % M 42 30.22 % P 34 24.46 % F 35 25.18 %

Advanced Econometrics

D 28.57 % M 21.43 % P 7.14 % F 42.86 %

I've got some official stats (most recent)

(D=Distinction, M=Merit, P=Pass, Fail=F)

MSc EME 1D, 3M, 4P Rest=F

MSc Economics History 1D, 16M, 16P, Rest=F

MSc Finance and Econ 8D, 22M, 31P, Rest=F

MSc L Econ Dev 2D, 21M, 11P, Rest=F

MSc Risk 0D, 32M, 8P, Rest=F

MSc Develop 4D, 54M, 11P Rest=F

MSc Econ (Res) 3D, 5M, 2P

MSc Econ (2Y) 3D, 3M, 5P

No data for the 1-year MSc Econ? Thanks for posting.

@mpleportals

Thanks for posting the stats! Specifically, I'm most interested in the stats for LSE!

Is it possible to give us more details as to how many people were enrolled in the classes and course itself? (i.e. how many people enrolled in Time Series and how many people were enrolled in the MSc EME program?)

Thanks!