Urch Forums

Private Sector Jobs with Reasonable Hours

YoungEconomist

The key in this title is reasonable hours. What do I mean by reasonable? I consider a job with a typical work week of about 50 - 55 (or less) to be "reasonable." To be clear, I don't mind if some weeks or days have crazy long hours. For example, if 80% - 90% of the weeks I worked about 50 - 55 hours, with the remaining 10% - 20% of the weeks being 70+ hours, then I would still consider this reasonable.

Some Econ PhDs get hired as quants at hedge funds and I-banks. The work seems interesting and is obviously lucrative, but I'm under the impression that these people work 60 - 90 hours a week every week. I would be miserable with hours like that, no matter how interesting the work is. Are there some quant type jobs with reasonable hours (not necessarily at hedge funds or I-banks)? Are there other jobs in the finance industry for Econ PhDs with reasonable hours?

Essentially, I'm just interested in you TMers listing various jobs in the private sector that Econ PhDs can get, with reasonable hours. By the way, I hope I haven't given the impression that I'm only talking about jobs in finance, because I'm talking about any job for Econ PhDs in the private sector.

Look at your professors CV for consulting work. If they do it, ask them if they know any firms which are hiring. Economic consulting (litigation, government contracts, business group contracts) is usually 40 hours a week except the three weeks before major contracts are due.

Most people who get jobs with the government (department of labor, FED,...) have 40 hour work weeks, and the pay is decent considering the number of hours worked. I know it's not in the private sector, but much of the work is similar.

In calculus I, I learned that:

Private sector + Reasonable Hours = oxymoron

But then again, your definition of reasonable is longer than mine.