Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gre Scores Required By Schools

Good post? Yes | No

Gre Scores Required By Schools

Sponsored Ad: (Join for no ads)
    I am starting this new topic since many may ask what are the minimum GRE scores required by Departments.I have contacted some schools and I make public their replies.If you known more with certainty please post here!

COLUMBIA:Econ Dep.
    "The math section is extremely important. We expect a minimum of 730. Our average score on that section is around 780 (more in some years). The other two sections aren't given as much weight, but we do look at the verbal, especially for international students. We also look approvingly at high analytical writing scores."

UCSC
    "Our minimum requirements for the GRE is that we like to see strong scores in the quantitative section between 600-700. The verbal and analytical sections are looked at on a case by case basis."

PRINCETON

"The GRE General Test is required and we do not hold minimum score requirements"

ROCHESTER..
    "All our statistical information can be found at Admission Statistics, Graduate Program, Economics Department, University of Rochester This information is generalizations of typical scores. We look at the application as a whole, weighing each part equally. These scores should not be considered definitive numbers you must achieve for us to review your application. We will review all applications and look at everything submitted. These numbers give you a general idea of those we have previously accepted."

University of Pennsylvania
    "The Economics Department rules say you
    should have a GRE of above 700 in the Quantitative section to be considered as a serious applicant.
    Although most of our applications are above 760. Much weight is put on the math preparation and
    how well you done in those classes as well as your recommendation letter and personal statement"

NYU
    "Please visit our web site at NYU > A & S > Admissions for information"

UC BERKLEY

Explicity stated on the departments website if quantitative score below of 760 test should be retaken

Good post? Yes | No
    For all of these schools, you'll probably need an 800 on the quantitative section unless you are heralded as the new Friedman.

Here at UVA, in my class, the median GRE quant score was 800
    UVA-- A first year, no longer

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    GRE differences between tiers are so small that I'll bet it's the classes, research experience and LORs that determine whether you get into top 10 or say top 30 or so.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage GymShorts's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicskat View Post
    For all of these schools, you'll probably need an 800 on the quantitative section unless you are heralded as the new Friedman.

Here at UVA, in my class, the median GRE quant score was 800
    Counterexamples from the Profiles and Results posts:
    780: Chicago, Rochester, Duke, Maryland, UCLA, U Penn
    780: Duke, Rochester
    780: U Penn, Northwestern, NYU
    780: Maryland, Wisconsin, Duke, Cornell
    770: Chicago, Berkeley, Duke
    770: Maryland, Michigan
    770: JHU, Wisconsin, Cornell
    760: UCSB, UVA
    760: JHU, UVA
    720: UVA, U Washington

All of these schools are ranked above UCSC. Most of them are top 20, and a few are even top 10. Chicago and Berkeley are arguably top 5. These are only a handful of the profiles posted up there, but you must remember, that the majority of the profiles posted have a Q GRE of at least 790. I'm not arguing that a high quantitative GRE score doesn't matter; just that I think a 780 is sufficient for most programs. And while UVA may have a median score of 800, UVA accepted an applicant with a 720 Q GRE.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage asianeconomist's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    IMHO, 790~800. That's not because I have a 790 :>).
    The Pens have been lifted and the Pages have dried. - recorded by At Tirmidhee.

Good post? Yes | No
    I'll second the notion that research experience and LORs are probably more important than the difference between, say, a 760 and an 800. Less than a 760, and a few eyebrows will get raised (in a bad way). For these schools, anything less than a 780 and you should probably retake it.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    UCLA: "the Department considers only those with excellent academic records, GRE scores that average in the 80th percentile in verbal, 95 percentile in quantitative, and with a 5.0 in analytical, and those with outstanding letters of recommendation. TOEFL scores must be at least 260" - although they can't mean 95th percentile for quant because an 800 is only 94th

UCSD: GRE Test Minimum Scores:
    • Verbal Score: 460
    • Quantitative Score: 740
    • Analytical Score: 4.0
    UC Davis: "Applicants with GRE verbal scores below the 60th percentile (30th percentile for non-native speakers of English), GRE quantitative below the 70th percentile, or TOEFL scores below 600 (or below 250 if computer based exam or below 68 counting all 4 sections of the iBT exam) will not be considered for admission."

Although they add this table of averages,
    PercentilesVerbalQuantitativeAnalytical
    Writingmedian909067mean838869

Loving the Ivory Tower Canuckonomist's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by asianeconomist View Post
    IMHO, 790~800. That's not because I have a 790 :>).
    790s of the world, unite!
    Canuckonomist, Ph.D. Candidate, University of Toronto '15

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Is a low score on the analytical part a reason to retake?
    I never thought this had any importance, but apparently some departments look at it?
    e.g. my GRE was q800 v610 analytical4.5

Related question: how can you train for verbal and analytical (studying lists of words seems a bit silly), that seems not that obvious. I have never heard that I am not analytical (?).

I apologize if this is off topic.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisBD View Post
    Is a low score on the analytical part a reason to retake?
    I never thought this had any importance, but apparently some departments look at it?
    e.g. my GRE was q800 v610 analytical4.5

Related question: how can you train for verbal and analytical (studying lists of words seems a bit silly), that seems not that obvious. I have never heard that I am not analytical (?).

I apologize if this is off topic.
    I don't know dude. I wouldn't bother retaking with your scores, because your Q & V are pretty decent and 4.5 isnt disastrous (i'm in a similar position 800/720/4.5 and i certainly shan't bother; I don't want to go to UCLA) but I should think 4.5 might hurt us a little bit at top schools.

On studying, in the studyguide I had (GRE for Dummies!) there were a few tips and a list of word endings to memorise for the verbal - I think the tips helped but I was too lazy to memorise the word endings. For the AW I wouldn't know, I think there are sample essays somewhere that show you what to aim at - from what I gather there is a certain style that scores good marks and it's not necessarily that related to good essay writing.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information