Urch Forums

Health economics phd

Lucktry

Most prominently, CUNY because of Grossman. The prospects in Health are pretty good, because you can always work in public health dept. Also, I think the starting salaries for health econ is higher than what it is in other econ fields-- well except for finance.

As one of the recently minted PhDs at my school-- Health Econ-- said, "There'll always be jobs for people in health because no matter what, people will always die." A little morbid, but it is pretty true.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Florida State is good for health economics and is outside of the overall top 20. Check out the research interests of the 6 economics faculty members affiliated with the center for population health and demography.

:)

More specifically, look at Gary Fournier and Farasat Bokhari's webpages. They are the two that are currently pushing most of the health stuff. Bokhari's offering a Ph.D. course next fall in Health Econ. Fournier usually teaches Ph.D. Applied IO each spring. Both are eager to work with doctoral students and good at applied econometric work. Their current interests involve hospitals (i.e., types, specializations, management, and some sort of privatization topics that I forgot).

One of Fournier's recent grads is Jennifer Troyer.

Demography is with MacPherson who is doing a lot on pensions and retirement.

According to a recent paper in the Southern Economic Journal, ranking departments based on productivity, there were a number of schools outside the top 20 econ that were top 20 in JEL classification category I which is Health, Education and Welfare Econ. The schools were CUNY, Michigan State, Johns Hopkins and U Illinois-Chicago, with CUNY having the highest ranking in category among these schools, though Michael Grossman probably makes up a large portion of this. Additionally, Ohio State, Duke and Boston U which are borderline top 20 overall in many econ rankings are all top 20 in this category. This category does include education econ, so the ranking is imperfect, but this might give some idea as to which schools faculty you should start looking at.

• 1 month later...
zshfryoh1- do you happen to have a link to this paper with the rankings in Health econ??

The paper is here, though you will need access to Business Source Premier. The paper ranks in all JEL classifications. I think Factiva and ABI/INFORM may also have the journal.

Business Source: A Guide to Graduate Study in Economics: Ranking Economics Departments by Fi...

Harvard is listed as #1 for research in Health Economics.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure these rankings include health economists across the university that are outside of the Department of Economics (where only 3 people work on health)...

Apart from Cutler/Kremer's research, Harvard's #1 spot is due to the economists in the PhD affiliated with the Global Health department (Bloom/Canning/Yip/Hsiao/Berman/Mahal/Seville) and the ones in the Health Policy PhD (Newhouse/Zeckhauser/McGuire)

Harvard is listed as #1 for research in Health Economics.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure these rankings include health economists across the university that are outside of the Department of Economics (where only 3 people work on health)...

Apart from Cutler/Kremer's research, Harvard's #1 spot is due to the economists in the PhD affiliated with the Global Health department (Bloom/Canning/Yip/Hsiao/Berman/Mahal/Seville) and the ones in the Health Policy PhD (Newhouse/Zeckhauser/McGuire)

I think your interpretation is right. Cornell is ranked number 6 on there, and unless I'm mistaken, we don't have any health economists in the actual econ department itself.

There are a few details to note:

This study only considers tenured faculty within Economics departments. Moreover, the data set consists of all of the publications of these faculty members over the 20-year period 1985-2004.

So in response to appl09: only 3 tenured health economists in one economics department is actually a lot compared to many programs. These professors also co-author many papers with professors in other programs such as Harvards Global Health department. This is factored into the study, though this co-author publication is given less "credit" than a publication by only one person.

hubrishedge: As mentioned above, the study only considers data from 1985-2004 so probably the authors captured in the data from Cornell are no longer faculty there.

There are a few details to note:

This study only considers tenured faculty within Economics departments. Moreover, the data set consists of all of the publications of these faculty members over the 20-year period 1985-2004.

So in response to appl09: only 3 tenured health economists in one economics department is actually a lot compared to many programs. These professors also co-author many papers with professors in other programs such as Harvards Global Health department. This is factored into the study, though this co-author publication is given less "credit" than a publication by only one person.

hubrishedge: As mentioned above, the study only considers data from 1985-2004 so probably the authors captured in the data from Cornell are no longer faculty there.

There is really something funny about that "This study only considers tenured faculty within Economics departments." That's umambiguously wrong! ...can you find it in the actual study?

Harvard has only two tenured persons who work on health! I wonder who you count as a third!!?! Being at Harvard, I, too will learn something.

That's not a lot for a big ten school, either! That's pretty average. Chicago (2), Upenn (2), MIT (3), Stanford (2), Berkeley (1), Northwestern (2), Michigan (5), Yale, (2), Columbia (2).

Onto even much lower ranked schools...

The comment made by hubrishedge makes this even more obvious. Cornell has never had a tenured person at the Economics dept working on health (they are all in PAM!) but even if he did how come I never came across anything by people with Cornell affiliation working on health other than the folks from the old Consumer Economics (now PAM?) Feel free to tell me who Cornell lost in the last 20 years who contributed to Cornell's 6th spot in these rankings according to you and is not in PAM...Clearly with a 6th spot if the Econ dept lost someone, it is either several people or someone really prolific...I want to know, too!

I really feel you should double check who is actually counted in the study...

OT:

Im interested in health economics but applying more in the 80 and below ranked schools.

Looks like New Mexico is my best bet with FSU as a reach. But i'm not 100% sure i want to do health but i really like the idea of it.

At Harvard, in addition to working with Cutler (although it increasingly seems like a sure thing that he is leaving) in the regular PhD in Economics program, there are two other Health Economics options that are excellent. The PhD Health Policy/Economics (under Newhouse) and the PhD in International Health Economics (under David Bloom and David Canning). Both are very competitive but worth looking into, if the research of these faculty members interests you...

At Harvard, in addition to working with Cutler (although it increasingly seems like a sure thing that he is leaving) in the regular PhD in Economics program, there are two other Health Economics options that are excellent. The PhD Health Policy/Economics (under Newhouse) and the PhD in International Health Economics (under David Bloom and David Canning). Both are very competitive but worth looking into, if the research of these faculty members interests you...

Thank you for the advice. :) Unfortunately, my GRE and GPA would have me auto-rejected :doh:

Hi everybody,

I looked at the rankings in Health Economics given in that paper. I am applying for PhD programs in Econ or Agecon depts. with concentration in Health. Could somebody suggest some a couple of schools where getting in is not very tough. as far as my profile is concerned, i have 87% math and 85% verbal in GRE, and have a masters from US. i am kind of worried coz it seems there are lots of applicant this time. thanks!