Urch Forums

Overall GPA, Major GPA, classes that has been taken

Danini

I would definitely assume Major GPA and math courses taken along with math GPA are #1. Least important would have to be overall GPA...what does an adcom care what you got in Intro to English Lit?

Actually, I was going to ask just that; would adcoms care at all if I took some (required) lit courses and got a poor grade (on purpose, though I guess they wouldn't know that)?

Actually, I was going to ask just that; would adcoms care at all if I took some (required) lit courses and got a poor grade (on purpose, though I guess they wouldn't know that)?

I would imagine it wouldn't matter. Maybe a D or F raises some redflags but I really am not sure about that.

What do you mean you got a poor grade on purpose?

To answer your question though, I don't think they'd really care. As long as you econ grades are solid and your math grades are solid and you took rigourous courses in econ and math, I highly doubt they care about many of those other classes.

I think a long time back, someone in TM, who eventually got into Princeton wrote that the Philosophy courses that he/she took were pivotal in his/her admission (supposedly the Grad director told him this). I don't know whether scoring badly in Philosophy courses (which purportedly should indicate analytical prowess) will act as an hindrance though.

What do you mean you got a poor grade on purpose?

To answer your question though, I don't think they'd really care. As long as you econ grades are solid and your math grades are solid and you took rigourous courses in econ and math, I highly doubt they care about many of those other classes.

I mean that when I take the course (which I haven't yet), I wouldn't put much work into it, just treat it as pass-fail so that I could spend more time and effort on the econ and math.