Urch Forums

SAT Prep

AK47

I'm a student at Princeton who got a 1600 on the old SAT and I wanted to start an online SAT tutoring program. Kind of a 10 or 12 week program geared at students who need help in a lot of the basic tools necessary to suceed in the SAT that they simply cannot understand from reading SAT books. I have never done this before, so it will obviously be sort of bumpy, and require flexibility on students and my part. But, I was wondering if people thought it would be a good idea, and if they would be interested, or knew people that would be interested. I was thinking about $75 a student would be a fair price, since the more comprehensive programs like the Princeton Review and Kaplan run between three and four hundred dollars. I also thought that seperate group rates would be applicable. But some feed back would be good :)

Ashrit

I think that would be a lot of work, with no economic return. Therefore, the opportunity cost is too high. Its certainly a lot of effort on both students part and an instructors part to get ready for the SAT, and I dont think most results would be visible over the course of a few weeks. I think a student needs 12 weeks, preferrably in the summer with fewer distractions.

• 6 months later...
Wow, didn't SATs were THAT hard! lol. Currently I'm looking for the hardest SAT prep. book I can find ( I already ace the crap in Princeton Review and College Board practice tests ) since u seem to have experience in such matters, what do u recommend Ashrit?

If you ace most of the tests in the College Board book the real test shouldn't be too difficult. If you want more questions try looking for more tests try some of the older Real SAT books; while the analogies might not be on the NEW SAT, they provide great vocab practices especially important in the Sentence COmpletions.

I've heard Barrons is supposedly harder than the real test, so if you want "difficult questions", it probably can't get any harder than that.

• 3 weeks later...