Urch Forums

not enough NEW SAT I practice test books (especially CR)!

joethemole

i have the princeton's 11 practice tests, kaplan's 8 practice tests, princeton's 3 practice tests from their cracking the sat book, done the free online one from collegeboard, and have 2 cr workbooks (princeton and peterson's ,which both, suck. especially petersons, which doesn't reflect real sat 1's cr AT ALL).

are these like the only ones with practice tests for the NEW sat? i need to work on my CR, but these are definately not enough to increase my marks. Considering theres still 2 full months till the test date.. i'll be out of practice material within a month!

anyone know other practice books? (not strategies or methods, but simply practice tests or specifically practice CR)

Grammatix (www.acethesat.com) - I've heard many reviews of the book and most of them were positive -- although it isn't extremely strong in the math portion of the test -- it seem's to have what you are looking for.

that guy sounds pretty pretentious about his book by making all these absolute boasts about grammatix. also, of course, by dissing kaplan.

One private author VS largest test prep company in the world

quote:

" That score breaks down to a 790 Math, 800 Verbal, and 790 Writing (with a perfect 12 on the Essay). Why wasn't it a perfect score? Good question. I think I may have erased poorly in a few places, and it's possible I made one or two small errors."

Although you might be wary of his excessive boasting you have to remember that his book is rated highly especially in another college forum - plus he actively visits for people with questions. I don't recommend any of the big name test prep companies for SAT review because they teach the obvious and are only beneficial for students who are trying to get average scores (M: 500 V: 500 W: 500).

Have you tried the book pointed out by Erin up top? It's the most reliable prep book out there because it is the only prep guide made by the test maker and has the most accurate tests. If you are still having trouble finding books try the Collegeboard's "10 Real SAT's", although it is made for the Old Test, and contains analogies and quantitative comparisons - you can easily skip over those questions. The analogies do have SAT-level vocabulary which you could study if you don't know them already.

While there might not be any more realistic practice tests I do suggest you buy a review guide such as Rocket Review, the Collegeboard's Online Course (includes 3 more practice tests) or Grammatix even if you have to wade through all of those hyperbolizing advertising tactics.

Overall, stay away from both Kaplan and Princeton Review - they test you on things that rarely show up on the real test and are chock full of errors (even in their questions!)

What were your real SAT scores?