Urch Forums

SAT score range?

UmairKhan

Hello all, I am taking my first SAT exam on 6th of may :)

I have the SAT official book, and it gives a list of the score range associated with each raw score. But students get their results in form of ONE score, e.g. 600, so what is the significance of this range, for example, a students gets a raw score of 45 in the maths section, the range given is 630-690, what determines the specific score he gets (the difficulty of the questions?)

Thanks :) btw I need 1250 minimum of the combined score of maths and reading. WISH ME LUCK! :grad:

• 1 month later...
The practice tests in the Official SAT Study Guide have never been used by College Board as real tests. They are questions taken from old SATs, therefore, the scores are only estimates. To get a solid score instead of a range, College Board has to give that particular test to a greater population to determine the grading system. They will probably update the study guide soon to include the already released New SATs so that the practice tests will be able to give solid scores. :)

• 3 weeks later...
They always give you a range, even on the real SAT. It basically means that on a bad day, you'll get on the low end of the range (630), and on a good day, you'll get on the high end of the range (690). They basically take your SAT score and add 30 for the high end of the range and subtract 30 to find the low end of the range. Doesn't mean much.