Urch Forums

SAT essay: Do we value only what we struggle for? Kindly grade.

maheenatiq

I have been practicing the Essay section for the upcoming SAT so kindly grade my essay. Any corrections and suggestions are appreciated.

Prompt:

" That which we obtain too easily, we esteem too lighlty. It is dearness only which gives everything its value".

Do we value only what we struggle for?

There is no doubt that some certain possessions hold a great importance in our lives, yet I would still emphasize that we value the most for what we have struggled the most. It is the truth of our lives that things which are easily acquired hold no value at all. Sometimes, just a little bit effort to make someone happy gives us alot of satisfaction because we have tried for it. No matter what, struggle matters alot.

I belong to a very well-off and prosperous family. From the time I've grown up, I've seen my lifestyle in a perfect way. Therefore, I never realized the importance of these luxuries in my life. Then, my father told me one day how he had gone through adversities and strived hard to achieve such success. He taught me a great lesson that adversities we face in our lives, give us a great experience to share. It is not merely necessary that each time it would end in a bad way. Years have passed but still, I remember my father's words with clarity.

Many examples can be illustrated from the history as well. Thomas Edison, a renowned scientist failed 1000 to 10,000 times just before creating the beacon of light. But he didn't give up. And when he was asked about his experience, he responded to his failures quoting, "I havn't failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work". Moreover, Albert Einstein didn't speak until he was 4 years old. He used to ask abstract questions which people couldn't understand. People considered him as a dud but he never got dishearted, kept trying and eventually developed the thoery of relativity. These people set up a great perspective for us that we cannot worth something without involving a little bit of struggle in it.

"No pain, no gain" is a famous cliche used very commonly in our daily life but people don't know the actual sense of it. May be, we achieve the most precious things of our life without even struggling for it but it cannot be compared with the self-contentment and the immense pleasure following the accomplishment when we strive hard for it. Hence, one can only value what he endeavours for.