Urch Forums

Correct answer

ali jabir

Hello,

I have this question, and I'd like to know the extrapolation for choosing the correct answer

Foods of animal origin generally supply greater amounts of iron to the diet than ----------

(A) are foods of plant origin,

(B) foods of plant origins

© do foods of plant origin

(D) plant origin foods

I'm confused between B and C and I can't quiet know why one of them is incorrect.

many thanks

Hello,

I have this question, and I'd like to know the extrapolation for choosing the correct answer

Foods of animal origin generally supply greater amounts of iron to the diet than ----------

(D) plant origin foods

I'm confused between B and C and I can't quiet know why one of them is incorrect.

many thanks

Correct answer is B. This sentence compares two types of food,food is noun. So, you have to use noun (foods of plant origins) after than.

I hope that my explanation will be helpful to you.

Good luck, ali jabir !!

Thanks for your reply,

I also chose B, but it seems that the correct answer is C as the book suggests. your are correct that we have a comparative condition here. The only explanation that I came up with is that we have a logical/ illogical comparative condition here.Take for example that its not correct when we say " the climate in the north is hotter than the south", there is an illogical expression after " than" (... than the climate in the south). I think we have the same situation here. but I wanted to make sure that others will agree with me in the above.

thanks a lot again.

• 8 months later...
Hello,

(D) plant origin foods

many thanks

I chose C because this is the inversion tensence of the comparison and it uses verb " supply".

Good luck.!