Urch Forums

How to discriminate "Most" and "Most of"

south_alex

Hi south_alex

Dictionaries in most cases answer such questions:

USAGE NOTE : MOST

GRAMMAR

Most meaning `nearly all' is followed directly by a noun when you are speaking generally: Most cheese contains a lot of fat (NOT most of cheese). | Most Americans own cars. You use most of the when you are talking about part of a particular thing, group, etc: Greg has eaten most of the cheese that was in the fridge. | Most of the Americans we asked owned cars. You can also say: Most Americans we asked own cars without using of the to talk about that particular group. The most can be followed directly by a plural or uncountable noun, when it means `more than any other(s)': The most damage was done to the houses nearest the cliff means more damage was done to those houses than any others. You use most meaning `more than anything else' in these ways: My swimming is the thing I most want to improve. | I want to improve my swimming most. | I most want to improve my swimming (NOT The most thing I want to improve is my swimming). Remember that most short adjectives have a form ending in -est that you usually use when you want to say `more than any other', and you should not use most with them: Manhattan is the richest area in New York (NOT the most rich or the most richest). | The dullest people I've ever met (NOT most dull). Note that you use the phrase most of the time, not the most time or most of times.

© Pearson Education Limited 2002

HTH :)