Urch Forums

Passive VS Active Voice. (Please check this for a just sec. Thanks)

Ricihe

1. The oldest city in the state, _______________________________.

(A) the Hudson's Bay Company founded Vancouver, Washington, in the early nineteenth century

(B) the founding of Vancouver, Washington, by the Hudson's Bay Company in the early nineteenth century

© Vancouver, Washington, was founded by the Hudson's Bay Company in the early nineteenth century

(D) In the early nineteenth century with the founding of Vancouver, Washington, by the Hudson's Bay Company

*** What is the real difference between A and C???

Passive and Active -> It functions for the same meaning right??? Could you please give me a clear explaination. Thank you!:(

Richie

P.S I am posting this one here so everybody can see easily. I personally like this one even though I got wrong.

(A) the Hudson's Bay Company founded Vancouver, Washington, in the early nineteenth century

(B) the founding of Vancouver, Washington, by the Hudson's Bay Company in the early nineteenth century

© Vancouver, Washington, was founded by the Hudson's Bay Company in the early nineteenth century

(D) In the early nineteenth century with the founding of Vancouver, Washington, by the Hudson's Bay Company

*** What is the real difference between A and C???

Passive and Active -> It functions for the same meaning right??? Could you please give me a clear explaination. Thank you!:(

Richie

P.S I am posting this one here so everybody can see easily. I personally like this one even though I got wrong.

I would choose C over A. If I use "The oldest city in the state", I will immediately mention the city's name right after that to avoid confusion. I could be wrong. Comment, anyone?

I think the answer is C, because 'The oldest city in the state' is considered as subject, therefore we need verb. There is no verb that inline with the main subject in A, B and D.

Is my explaination correct ?? :idea:

Thank you guys.

That's right ... the answer is C.:)

But if you choose c ...

(It's going to have a double subject without the connector.)

1. The oldest city was founded by the Hudson's Bay Company in the early nineteenth century

2. Vancouver was founded by the Hudson's Bay Company in the early nineteenth century

Th oldest city in the state, which was Vancouver ...

Reduced clause: The state = Vancouver???

It's confusing ... isn't it???:hmm:

Richie