Urch Forums

Pls Help me correct these sentences

Lyf

Pls correct and explain for me the answer keys of these sentences, thank you very much:) :

1. .Among the symptoms of measles, which takes about twelve days to incubate, are a high fever, swelling of glands in the neck, a cough, and sensitive to light.

Answer key: D. I don't know what the Subject of " to light" is?

2. The sounds used in human languages to create meaning consist of small variations in air pressure can be sensed by the car.

Answer key is C. Why?

3. Abigail Adams was prodigous letter writer, ------ many editions of her letters have been published.

(A) who

(B) and

© in addition to

(D) due to

Answer key is B.Why not "D"?

4.Different fourteen crops were being grown 8,600 years ago by some of the world’s earliest farmers.

5. Addressing themes that were unique American, the poet Walt Whitman celebrated the lives of ordinary people.

Answer key is B, but I think A should be " Addressed" , why A is not wrong?

6. Although all sedimentary rocks contain iron, but the deposits that are richest in iron consist predominantly of minerals such as iron oxides, carbonates, silicates, and sulfides.

I think B: richest-> rich. But answer key is A. I don't know why?

Pls correct and explain for me the answer keys of these sentences, thank you very much:) :

1. .Among the symptoms of measles, which takes about twelve days to incubate, are a high fever, swelling of glands in the neck, a cough, and sensitive to light.

sensitive -> sensitivity

2. The sounds used in human languages to create meaning consist of small variations in air pressure can be sensed by the car.

Answer key is C. Why?

pressure can -> pressure which can

3. Abigail Adams was prodigous letter writer, ------ many editions of her letters have been published.

(A) who

(B) and

© in addition to

(D) due to

it's due to sth. e.g. due to many editions of her letters being published.

There is a standalone sentence after the gap and you should not put due to.

4. Different fourteen crops were being grown 8,600 years ago by some of the world’s earliest farmers.

being grown -> grown

5. Addressing themes that were unique American, the poet Walt Whitman celebrated the lives of ordinary people.

unique -> uniquely

6. Although all sedimentary rocks contain iron, but the deposits that are richest in iron consist predominantly of minerals such as iron oxides, carbonates, silicates, and sulfides.

but the deposits -> the deposits

you can't put although and but together

Answer key is C. Why?

(A) who

(B) and

© in addition to

(D) due to

4.Different fourteen crops were being grown 8,600 years ago by some of the world’s earliest farmers.

1. I guess it must be sensibility :D

2. The sounds used in human languages to create meaning consist of small variations in air pressure and can be sensed by the car.

I think here there are 2 main verbs: to create & can be sensed, is it true?

3. Although “due to” is now a generally acceptable synonym for “because," it is a clumsy substitute that should be avoided in formal writing. And in fact we often use "due to" + noun phrase:)

4. being grown ---> grown

5. unique ---> uniquely. I think A is ok, 'cause this is a active sentence

6. Although... doesn't go with "but", so we must ignore "but" here:

Although all sedimentary rocks contain iron, the deposits that are richest in iron consist predominantly of minerals such as iron oxides, carbonates, silicates, and sulfides

:D

Thanks H3qwerty and Nemoftu for your answers.The questions 1,2,3,5,6 are OK to me now. However with the 4th question, I am sorry that I forgot to post the answer key. That is A, not B.I also think it should be B, but A is the right answer, why?