Urch Forums

2Q from barron

chung

i have been practising toefl from Barron,however i found some questions that i cannot understand .Please help me figure them out

1) -------- a parliamentary system, the prime minister must be appointed on the basis of the distribution of power in the parliament

A The considered

B To be considered

C Considering

D Considers

2)Although it cannot be proven , presumable

the expansion of the universe will slow down as it approaches

a critical radius.

the answers are (1) b (2)c

I have read the explanation from barron but i am still confused,so please help me figure out these problems

1) -------- a parliamentary system, the prime minister must be appointed on the basis of the distribution of power in the parliament

A The considered

B To be considered

C Considering

D Considers

Answer is C "considering"

What we need here is a conjuction.

2)Although it cannot be proven , presumable presumably the expansion of the universe will slow down as it approaches a critical radius.

We need an adverb here. It means "probably".

Hi Guys,

I would like comment the first sentence:

'-------- a parliamentary system, the prime minister must be appointed on the basis of the distribution of power in the parliament.'

The difference between using the Infinitive phrase and Gerund phrase can seem unclear sometimes unless you have a very well developed intuition for that or your grammar knowledge is excellent. So, the rule is a bit tricky one:

first you have to recognise what function the phrase plays in the sentence, and then apply the rules:

- if it acts as a modifier for a noun (you can check it by asking a question) : either an adjective or an adverb, you will usually use an infinitive;

We went to the Student Counsil to take participation in the event. (the question is 'why we went there?' -> plays an adverb role)

My estimations to prepare for the test are very tough because I don't have much time. (the question is 'what kind of estimations?', modifies 'estimation' -> plays an adjective role)

- if is an object of a preposition, it will be a gerund (except for the prepositions 'but' and 'except' that can take an infinitive):

Let's keep on waiting for them. (object of the preposition 'on')

- if it is a predicate nominative, use an infinitive (To study the programming is to practice it.)

- but, if play either a noun-object or a noun-subject role of the sentence, you can use both an infinitive an a gerund, just do not forget about the verbs that can take only the infinitives or gerunds after them.

You can say both: I like reading the fiction. And: I like to read fiction.

But you will use an infinitive only: I plan to go to the sea.

And you will use a gerund only: You should avoid meeting him.

So, in the first sentence the blank spece assumes the adverb: why must the prime minister be appointed in that way? And the correct choice is to use an infinitive phrase, which is 'To be considered a parlamentary system'. Thus, the correct answer is b.

HTH, Svetlana

Hello,

Let me throw in my 2 cents.

Obviously we can consider only B and C.

1. B

The sentence would be:

"To be considered a parliamentary system, the prime minister must be appointed on the basis of the distribution of power in the parliament"

where "To be considered a parliamentary system" is an infinitive introductory phrase. Notice that this infinitive phrase doesn't modify the subject. It modifies some country's govermental system(at least I understand it that way) which is not mentioned in the sentence. According to the following source it is sometimes accepted:

http://stipo.larc.nasa.gov/sp7084/sp7084ch1.html

paragraph 1.9.3 (Dangling verbals)

2. The sentence would be:

"Considering a parliamentary system, the prime minister must be appointed on the basis of the distribution of power in the parliament"

where

"Considering a parliamentary system" is an absolute participle phrase. It also has not antecedent in the sentence. But according to the same source:

http://stipo.larc.nasa.gov/sp7084/sp7084ch1.html

paragraph 1.9.3 (Absolute participles)

idiomatic use of such a phrase with a "considering" participle is accepted too.

So question looks like an invalid one. However may be I am not completely right. Personally, like Hsengoren, I would choose C at the real exam.

Looking forward to other ideas.

A The considered

B To be considered

C Considering

D Considers

=> B right! " To be considered" means an intention, so the question must be B.

Another thing is " considering" which is gramaticall but it is not correct for the meaning of this sentence.

2)Although it cannot be proven , presumable

the expansion of the universe will slow down as it approaches

a critical radius.

=> ADV here is "presumablely"

HTH