Urch Forums

help !! please i have many problems on toefl test specially readind and writing

fatima A

HI everyone, this is the first time i write in this forom and i hope you can help me.

I have to get 75 on toefl ibt test score but i have problems,my problems are

1- i allways dont finish answering the reading questions when the time ends

i dont know how to read fast :( and answer fast.

2-i dont finish writing i allways be in the last paragraph when the time is finish i dont even have time to check, i dont have problem with typing i type fast but i dont finish the writing.

please please help me i feel very sad from these problems.

and thanks you

Reading section:

One thing you can try regarding the reading section is to start right away with answering the questions, and refer back to the part that has the answer to each question, good thing about the questions is that they come in order.

Meaning, the first question's answer will be in the first paragraph of the passage and so on, however, there are a couple of things that you need to bear in mind when using this strategy:

1- Make sure you read the questions carefully and follow the directions, some questions will direct you to where the answer is located.

2- When you are looking for the answer where you predict it might be, read the whole paragraph, (that way you will read the whole passage by the time you reach the last question).

3- Practice this stratedy and creat your own pace, mostly you will finish (3-5) minutes before time.

Regarding writing:

write the basics first, don't worry much about the words count, I mean write the intoduction (one direct sentence), (three paragraphs with three major points, one for each paragraph, and accompany each major point with one example), now write the conclusion (which is a paraphrasing of the 3 major points and your opinion).

ok now

Introduction (1 minute):

In my opinion riding a bicycle to work is better than driving a car, and there are three reasons why I support this choice.

- That is a direct statement that gives off your opinion clearly with no confusion.

- Followed by (a statment about what the reader shall expect from your essay).

- It's a formula and you don't have to spend so much time to think about it.

Body of the essay (5-7) minutes:

It's good for health, ridnig a bike is a form of exercise which helps not only in burnning calories, but also in eliminating extra body fat.

A major point + detail.

It helps raises our energy level and gives us a great boost to start our day, as working out in general activates our circulatation and increase the level of endorphins in our nervous system.

A major point + detail.

It is economic, with the high gas price, and the troubling economy, riding a bike can save us a fortune.

A major point + detail.

Conclustion (2-3) minutes:

To sum up, I think riding a bike has a lot of benefits, it's cheaper for our pockets, helthier for our bodies and most of all a great a way to start our day.

- Now you have (15-20) minutes to write and add to what you've already written.

First start with introduction and add you a sentence or two.

Then add more examples and ideas to the major points, and keep writing till the time is over, but be sure to end the last sentence you are writting whenever you have to stop, don't start a new sentence if you know that the remaining time is not enough to finish it.

Tryinghard, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

I will work on the reading strategy that you recommends and I hope I will finish at least on time.

And about the writing in the conclusion the 3 major points and your opinion, what do you mean by my opinion? Is it the same one in the introduction (In my opinion riding a bicycle to work is better than driving a car, and there are three reasons why I support this choice.)should I repeat it again or write it in a different way? And thank you again.

very nice!

what about the listening and speaking can you help me

Ok the listening section is a lot easier than most of the practice tests that you'll find here on the interent, or the various preparation materials that are available in the market, all you need to focus on is your note taking skill, however, the questions might be a little bit tricky in the real test, which is something that you can overcome by reading the questions with utmost care.

The speaking section, ok this is totally different, I don't know where are you going to sit for the test, but in some test centers (like the one I had mine at), are really small with a big number of people taking the test at the same time, which turns really bad to an extent that you might not be able to hear yourself, it's very distracting and you are prone to lose your train of thought frequently if you haven't practiced under similar conditions.

HI Tryinghard, I have aproblem with the insert questions is there any techniques to solve this type of questions?

I really don't know what else you can do other than reading the paragraph carefully and try to read for meaning, sometimes it helps when you read the paragraph first and then read the sentence that you are asked to insert, that way you will create an overall idea about the paragraph before you read the question sentence, try it, it might work for you.

Good Luck!

Dear Sarah,

for the insert sentence, i agree with tryinghard that u should read all the paragraph, but pay attention there's always a hint. For example, if they gave the following sentence starting by : "this is because...." u should know that this sentence should come after something stated in the passage. so the sentence that they give should always contain a hint to guide u.

regards