Urch Forums

i need some help to practice the toefl

fatima A

hi guys, I need some help for the following problems:

1. I cant take note while Im listening. And I know that this is very important but what should i do everytime i take note i miss some information and i dont inderstand. if i just listen i understant well but i forget some details.
  2. I need to practice the listening, the reading and the integrated writing task. someone suggests for me sites that have excersise resemble to the real one in the toefl.

that all and thank you.

Hi Fatima A!

For the taking-notes part, i recommend you to check BrainPOP - Animated Educational Site for Kids - Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts & Music, Health, and Technology It's an educational website for students in middle and high school. However, they contain lecture videos in English in a way that I think is very suitable to practice note-taking. This site doesn't contain any official TOEFL material but it's great to practice and the lectures are somewhat similar to the toefl lectures. There's also a quiz at the end of the lecture to see if you got the information right.

As for practice exercises, I'm not sure I know any website to help you but I'm sure other people may suggest suitable sites. Try to google for some practice exercises and tests...I'm sure you'll find plenty. I just don't know a specific site for that. Hope this information helps :)

Good luck!

I cant take note while Im listening...
Come up with your own set of abbreviations. this way you can spend less time in taking notes. it will help you in switching between listening and taking notes. i don't know if it will help you or not, but i came up with the new abbreviations when listening to a lecture or conv. if i felt that a word or phrase is being used frequently, i would use the first letter only.

I need to practice the listening, the reading and the integrated writing task. someone suggests for me sites that have excersise resemble to the real one in the toefl.
get some test prep books. stay focused. Don't go to misc websites unless you have a lot of time before your exam.

hi keffaz

thank you for your help and the site

i think it really will be helpful for me

thaNK YOU AGAIN :)

HI SM 55

thank you for your advice

i think it is easyier to write the first letter as aabbreviation and about tha books. do you advise me to buy kaplan or barrons book??

• 2 weeks later...

for listening part i liked Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL. don't forget to get the audio cds. Longman has easy passages. it will help you to come up with your own strategy. good learning tool.

Do the practice exams in Barrons and see if you made anhy progress

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello keffaz,

I joined this forum recently to help me in my preparation towards TOEFL. I came across your reply to Fatima and I checked out the Brain Pop website you gave. Just want to thank you for this useful information. I tried out the site and the content is quite helpful.

Jubilee 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Friend !!

What sources I have to use to practice my reading section.

Thanks,

Hi Fatima A!

For the taking-notes part, i recommend you to check BrainPOP - Animated Educational Site for Kids - Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts & Music, Health, and Technology It's an educational website for students in middle and high school. However, they contain lecture videos in English in a way that I think is very suitable to practice note-taking. This site doesn't contain any official TOEFL material but it's great to practice and the lectures are somewhat similar to the toefl lectures. There's also a quiz at the end of the lecture to see if you got the information right.

As for practice exercises, I'm not sure I know any website to help you but I'm sure other people may suggest suitable sites. Try to google for some practice exercises and tests...I'm sure you'll find plenty. I just don't know a specific site for that. Hope this information helps :)

Good luck!