Urch Forums

A question from Peterson's practice tests

Catalina

Among Ralph Earl’s most famous paintings is his portrait of Justice Oliver Ellsworth and his wife, Abigail. To provide counterpoint to the severity of the couple, he accurately details the relative luxury of the Ellsworth’s interior furnishings. The view through the window behind them shows sunlit fields, well-kept fences, and a bend of the Connecticut River. One of Earl’s paintings is something of an anomaly. Reclining Hunter, which for many years was attributed to Thomas Gainsborough, shows a well-dressed gentleman resting beneath a tree. In the foreground, he displays a pile of birds, the result of a day’s hunt. The viewer can also see a farmer’s donkey lying in the background, another of the hunter’s victims.

The word “he” in line "In the foreground, he displays a pile of birds, the result of a day’s hunt" refers to

(A) Ralph Earl

(B) The farmer

© The hunter

(D) Thomas Gainsborough

According to the answer key: “The correct answer is ©. The reference is to the “well-dressed gentleman”-that is, the hunter.”

I myself believe (A) is correct. The hunter is a figure in the painting, how can it display anything?! In fact, all of the things have been displayed by the painter, Ralph Earl. It is not correct that we choose the reference always the first and nearest name to the referent. Don't you agree with me? Then, clear me up please.

Originally posted by Erin Billy

You are right.

Peterson's is one of the worst TOEFL guides (do a search here on TM for "score harmers"); as a teacher, I really cannot understand how Peterson's could publish the dreck they do.

Erin Billy,

Might I beg to differ?

The English is confused and ambiguous, but I would read 'he' as referring to the hunter, not the painter. This is based on the context in terms of the word 'displays' which seems more applicable to the (presumably proud) hunter than the painter. If 'he' was the painter then I would expect a word like 'depicts' to be used.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Erin,

I don't realy agree with you. Although I my country we just can take PBT test and we use Peterson for PBT but I would rate it at a quite good level. Cambridge is too hard while Kaplan is quite general. If we just evaluate a book by one mistake, would it be too strict?

I just prepared TOEFL my selft with books and I would like to suggest these books as references:

Listening: Longman, Cambridge

Reading: Peterson Success, Peterson 2000 P test, TOEFL Flash

S & W: Baron 10th Edt (Excersices book only)

Essay: please refer to my post in Writing forum

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. Do you have any tips on time managment on the PBT test, which has 50 questions on it? I've followed the advice of reading the questions first before answering the questions and it has proved effective for me. The only problem is that of time, where I tend to run out of it.

Thanks

R