Urch Forums

Question about the last questions in the reading section in TOEFL

wajed

There are some questions in the reading section in TOEFL iBT that are worth more than one mark (usually 3 marks,) do I get part of the mark if I answer only part of the question?

For example, do I get any marks if I get two correct answers and 1 wrong answer in a categorization question?

I think the answers are:-

1) No, I don't get half a mark. So, If I miss part of a 2-mark question, I get zero as a result.

2) Yes. Regular questions are worth 1 mark, so a 3-mark question is worth 3 regular questions.

No, not exactly, Wajed. It actually IS possibly to get partial credit on the chart questions.

For example, on the Summary Chart (the one where you have to drag three of the six choices into the chart to form a summary of the major ideas of the passage), you can earn two points if all three answers are correct. However, if you get two out of the three correct (and add one answer that shouldn't be there), you would still earn ONE point for that chart question. In other words, it's as if the chart is really worth two separate questions and you got one right and one wrong (the other kind of chart -- the SCHEMATIC CHART -- can be worth either 3 or 4 points, and they also give partial credit on that one).

By the way, in American English, I would say "points" rather than "marks."

Good luck to you with your TOEFL!