Urch Forums

Questions about paraphrasing (Have a look every now and then will you?)

dentist86

In the Barron's book by Pam Sharpe, a question goes like:

" The Pacific Basin, which includes the continent of Australia and the thousands of islands grouped together as Oceania, covers one third of the surface of the Earth"

Now in the wrong paraphrase, the answer goes like:

" The Pacific Basin is also called Oceania because it encompasses one third of the Pacific Ocean"

Two mistakes here:

1- Wrong info. 1/3 Earth to 1/3 Pacific Ocean

2- Pacific Basin = Aussie + Oceania to Pacific Basin = Oceania only

Now in my answer, I stated the above as well as a correction that goes like:

" One third of Earth's surface constitutes both the continent of Australia, and the numerous neighboring islands called Oceania."

In the book she explains that one has to paraphrase, edit problem paraphrases, and cite expressions and ideas, as well as sources.

If I change my answer to:

" One third of Earth's surface constitutes both the continent of Australia, and the numerous neighboring islands called Oceania, which constitute the Asian Tigers, the Hawaiian islands, even extending to the west coast of the Americas"

with emphasis on "which constitute the Asian Tigers, the Hawaiian islands, even extending to the west coast of the Americas"

Do you think my answer is correct, partially correct, or have I added wrong information?

Also, if I'm certain about something, like a question about dentistry or a statement as well, which I know the answer to, or the idea, do I have to mention my source? Is it allowed or if the time is not enough, I should stick to the info at hand?

Thanks in advance and God bless