Urch Forums

Important questions about Reading

searchformeanin

Hi,

I read many posts on this forum about how to attack the reading section. Obviously, many said that time is not enough to read the whole passage (which is correct). There were 2 ways that memebers on this forum suggested either to read the first sentence of the each paragraph and the first and last sentence of the last one or to just go ahead and start with the first question and go back and forth between the questions and the reading passage. I don't know actually which method is better and I'd like to hear from those who took the exam (real exam takers). Also, many said that Cambridge book reading is similar to the actual test. I am using 'The complete Guide to TOEFL' by Bruce Rogers (I tired the official guide at the beginning but I did not like it as it has a lot of unnecessary information describing test questions and I can find that on ETS website no need for 10s of pages :upset: ). Anyway, my second question is that Bruce Rogers book is suffcient or I need to get Cambridge.

Last question, the two methods state that I don't have to read the whole passage so it means questions are in chronological order meaning answer to first question in the first paragraph, second question in the second paragraph...etc?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Answer for 2 and 3 questions,

I feel that Bruce Roger is moderate level.... try to practice with tough exercise,it will help to u...

Mostly, the questions are in chronological order but not like first 1 question from 1 passage and 2 from 2 passage and so forth. U may have 2 questions from 1 passage...

To skim or not to skim...

Try all three methods yourself (3x each or more)

1) Reading the whole passage carefully first - some people (not many) can do this in a few minutes (under 5 min.), depending on their reading speed, and sometimes they find it to be the best way.

2) Skimming (1-2 min.) first, not strictly the first sentence of each paragraph, but until you understand the main idea of that paragraph (usually first sentence, sometimes you'll need to read a bit more though)

3) Starting with the questions directly. This works since the questions are organized in the order of the paragraphs, and then the questions requiring an overall understanding of the passage come last.

You'll need to try all three a few times and review your results and your time management with each method. The one that works best for you is your personal solution. Best wishes!

• 5 years later...

Can I read a 300-page e-book in 2 hours?

Yes, after you complete the video and e-book exercises you will finish a 300-page e-book in 2 hours. And you will be able to finish about 57,4 pages in 20 minutes, which you can do while you are on the bus or the metro. This will save you thousands of hours in the future and you will have a lot of time to do many things in your life.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786S431J

YouTube

[h=2][/h]