Urch Forums

Practice Reading F

Lialla

has anyone done this test? I guess it was taken from dethi.com. I'm afraid there are wrong answers, or I guess I just overstudied :)

anyway, there is a sentence in the second text:

"Twentieth-century journalism was already foreshadowed in the penny press of the 1890's"

The author meant by that statement that

1. the penny press darkened the reputation of news writing

2. 20th century journalism is more important than 19th century journalism

3. penny-press news reporting was more accurate than that in 20century newspapers

4. modern news coverage is similar to that done by the penny press

my answer was 4, but the oa is 3Could anyone explain why?

has anyone done this test? I guess it was taken from dethi.com. I'm afraid there are wrong answers, or I guess I just overstudied :)

anyway, there is a sentence in the second text:

"Twentieth-century journalism was already foreshadowed in the penny press of the 1890's"

The author meant by that statement that

1. the penny press darkened the reputation of news writing

2. 20th century journalism is more important than 19th century journalism

3. penny-press news reporting was more accurate than that in 20century newspapers

4. modern news coverage is similar to that done by the penny press

my answer was 4, but the oa is 3Could anyone explain why?

Lialla,

I would agree with 4.

There is nothing in the sentence to suggest any difference in accuracy, which 3 does.

Michael

• 4 months later...

The penny press, which emerged in the United States during the 18-30's, was a powerful agent of mass communication. These newspapers were little dailies, generally four pages in length, written for the mass taste. They differed from the staid, formal presentation of the conservative press, with its emphasis on political and literary topics.The new papers were brief and cheap, emphasizing sensational reports of police courts and juicy scandals as well as human interest stories. Twentieth-century journalism was already foreshadowed in the penny press of the 1830's.

The New York Sun, founded in 1833, was the first successful penny paper, and it was followed two years later by the New York Herald, published by James Gordon Bennett. Not long after, Horace Greeley issued the New York Tribune, which was destined to become the most influential paper in America. Greeley gave space to the issues that deeply touched the American people before the Civil War — abolitionism, temperance, free homesteads, Utopian cooperative settlements, and the problems of labor. The weekly edition of the Tribune, with 100,000 subscribers, had a remarkable influence in rural areas, especially in Western communities.

Americans were reputed to be the most avid readers of periodicals in the world. An English observer enviously calculated that, in 1829, the number of newspapers circulated in Great Britain was enough to reach only one out of every thirty-six inhabitants weekly; Pennsylvania in that same year had a newspaper circulation which reached one out of every four inhabitants weekly. Statistics seemed to justify the common belief that Americans were devoted to periodicals. Newspapers in the United States increased from 1,200 in 1833 to 3,000 by the early 1860' s, on the eve of the Civil War. This far exceeded the number and circulation of newspapers in England and France.

15. Who was Horace Greeley (line 10)?

(A) The publisher of the first penny-press paper to make a profit

(B) The founder of the penny-press paper that did the most to influence

the thinking of the public

© The most successful writer for the penny press

(D) The man who took over James Gordon Bennett's penny-press paper

and made it successful

I have answered B but the answer key is A. Why ?

The ice sheet that blanketed much of North America during the last glaciation was in the areas of maximum accumulation more than a mile thick. Everywhere the glacier lay,its work is evident today. Valleys were scooped out and rounded by the moving ice; peaks were scraped clean. Huge quantities of rock were torn from the northern lands and carried south. Long, high east-west ridges of this eroded debris were deposited by the ice at its melting southern margin. Furthermore, the weight of the huge mass of ice depressed the crust of the Earth in some parts of Canada by over a thousand feet. The crust is still rebounding from that depression.

In North America, perhaps the most conspicuous features of the postglacial landscape are the Great Lakes on the border between the United States and Canada. No other large freshwater body lies at such favorable latitudes. The history of the making of these lakes is long and complex.

As the continental ice sheet pushed down from its primary centers of accumulation in Canada, it moved forward in lobes of ice that followed the existing lowlands. Before the coming of the ice, the basins of the present Great Lakes were simply the lowest-lying regions of a gently undulating plain. The moving tongues of ice scoured and deepened these lowlands as the glacier made its way toward its eventual terminus near the present Ohio and Missouri rivers.

About 16,000 years ago the ice sheet stood for a long time with its edge just to the south of the present great Lakes. Erosional debris carried by the moving ice was dumped at the melting southern edge of the glacier and built up long ridges called terminal moraines. When the ice began to melt back from this position about 14,000 years ago, meltwater collected behind the dams formed by the moraines. The crust behind the moraines was still depressed from the weight of the ice it had borne, and this too helped create the Great Lakes. The first of these lakes drained southward across Illinois and Indiana, along the channels of the present Illinois and Wabash rivers.

38. According to the passage, the weight of the ice had its greatest direct effect upon the continent's

(A) crust

(B) plain

© rivers

(D) peaks

I was undecided between A and B and I have choosen A, but it seems that the right answer is B. From the information given in the text I couldn't decide which answer to choose.

For A: " Furthermore, the weight of the huge mass of ice depressed the crust of the Earth in some parts of Canada by over a thousand feet. The crust is still rebounding from that depression."

For B: " The moving tongues of ice scoured and deepened these lowlands as the glacier made its way toward its eventual terminus near the present Ohio and Missouri rivers."

40. According to the passage, at the time of glacial movement the basins of

the present Great Lakes were

(A) low-lying

(B) small

© hilly

(D) flat

I have answered A, but the answer key is B. Why ?

I'm waiting for your replies,

Thank you,

Michael.

Michael,

As for the first, I think it is B-The founder of the penny-press paper that did the most to influence the thinking of the public.

I dont think A suits here as the right answer because Horace Greeley's New York Tribune was not the first peeny paper to make a profit ( as the passage says previously,"New York Sun, founded in 1833, was the first successful penny paper"

The second ans. is "plains" (B), not "crust" (A).

The ques. asks- the weight of the ice had its greatest direct effect upon the continent's:

(A) speaks only of effect in some parts of Canada's crust, not in the whole continent.

However, the passage says: "Before the coming of the ice, the basins of the present Great Lakes were simply the lowest-lying regions of a gently undulating plain. The moving tongues of ice scoured and deepened these lowlands as the glacier made its way toward its eventual terminus near the present Ohio and Missouri rivers." and this speaks of the continent North America on the whole.Hence, B.

Hope it is clear now. :)