Urch Forums

Questions from PBT Tests 10/1996

mishum2000

Reading 1

When Jules Verne wrote Journey to the Center of the Earth in 1864, there were many conflicting theories about the nature of the Earth's interior. Some geologists thought that it contained a highly compressed ball of incandescent gas, while others suspected that it consisted of separate shells, each made of a different material. Today, well over a century later, there is still little direct evidence of what lies beneath our feet. Most of our knowledge of the Earth's interior comes not from mines or boreholes, but from the study of seismic waves - powerful pulses of energy released by earthquakes.

The way that seismic waves travel shows that the Earth's interior is far from uniform. The continents and the seabed are formed by the crust - a thin sphere of relatively light, solid rock. Beneath the crust lies the mantle, a very different layer that extends approximately halfway to the Earth's center. There the rock is the subject of a battle between increasing heat and growing pressure.

In its high levels, the mantle is relatively cool; at greater depths, high temperatures make the rock behave more like a liquid than a solid. Deeper still, the pressure is even more intense, preventing the rock from melting in spite of a higher temperature.

Beyond a depth of around 2,900 kilometers, a great change takes place and the mantle gives way to the core. Some seismic waves cannot pass through the core and others are bent by it. From this and other evidence, geologists conclude that the outer core is probably liquid, with a solid center. It is almost certainly made of iron, mixed with smaller amounts of other elements such as nickel.

The conditions in the Earth's core make it a far more alien world than space. Its solid iron heart is subjected to unimaginable pressure and has a temperature of about 9,000oF. Although scientists can speculate about its nature, neither humans nor machines will ever be able to visit it.

3. The word "There" in line 12 refers to the

(A) mantle

(B) crust

© seabed

(D) Earth's center.

My answer was D, but the correct one is A....I think i got it right here? What do you say ?

Reading 2

Despite the road improvements of the turnpike era (1790-1830). Americans continued as in colonial times to depend wherever possible on water routes for travel and transportation. The larger rivers, especially the Mississippi and the Ohio, became increasingly useful as steamboats grew in number and improved in design.

River boats carried to New Orleans the corn and other crops of northwestern farmers, the cotton and tobacco of southwestern planters. From New Orleans, ships took the cargoes on to eastern seaports. Neither the farmers of the west nor the merchants of the east were completely satisfied with this pattern of trade. Farmers could get better prices for their crops if the alternative existed of sending them directly eastward to market and merchants could sell larger quantities of their manufactured goods if these could be transported more directly and more economically to the west.

New waterways were needed. Sectional jealousies and constitutional scruples stood in the way of action by the federal government and necessary expenditures were too great for private enterprise. If extensive canals were to be dug, the job would be up to the various states.

New York was the first to act. It had the natural advantage of a comparatively level route between the Hudson River and Lake Erie, through the only break in the entire Appalachian Mountain chain. Yet the engineering tasks were imposing. The distance was more than 350 miles and there were ridges to cross and a wilderness of woods and swamps to penetrate. The Erie Canal begun in 1817 and completed in 1825, was by far the greatest construction job that Americans had ever undertaken. It quickly proved a financial success as well. The prosperity of the Erie encouraged the state to enlarge its canal system by building several branches.

The range of the New York canal system was still further extended when the states of Ohio and Indiana, inspired by the success of the Erie Canal, provided water connections between Lake Erie and the Ohio River.

13. Which of the following products would a northwestern farmer in the early nineteenth century be most likely to purchase from the east?

(A) Grain

(B) Vegetables

© Textiles

(D) Fruit

My answer was A but the correct one is C..Why ?

19. According to the passage, Indiana and Ohio supported the development of the New York canal system by

(A) helping to build the Erie Canal.

(B) Building branches to connect it with the Ohio River

© Providing much of the water for the Erie Canal.

(D) Contributing financially to the construction costs

My answer was C, but the correct one is B...

What do you all say ?

Hi Michael

Reading 1.

3. I guess the question refers to this passage (hard to count the lines correctly):

Beneath the crust lies the mantle, a very different layer that extends approximately halfway to the Earth's center. There the rock is the subject of a battle between increasing heat and growing pressure.

A is indeed the right answer. Just a slight change in the first sentence to reveal the logic:

Beneath the crust lies the mantle. There the rock is the subject of a battle between increasing heat and growing pressure.

You see, 'there' refers exactly to 'the mantle'. The thrown-out part of the sentence only determines what the mantle is but has no significance for the subsequent sentence.

Reading 2.

13. I suppose that the question refers to this passage:

River boats carried to New Orleans the corn and other crops of northwestern farmers, the cotton and tobacco of southwestern planters.

Since northwestern farmers provided New Orleans with 'the corn and other crops' (=grain), they were unlikely to be buying it back from the east, right? Further, since neither fruits nor vegetables are mentioned in the passage, and 'textiles' stands for 'cotton', the correct answer would be C: textiles.

19. The passage at stake:

The range of the New York canal system was still further extended when the states of Ohio and Indiana, inspired by the success of the Erie Canal, provided water connections between Lake Erie and the Ohio River.

B is correct: Ohio and Indiana provided not water but water connections (which means canals or, as put in B, branches).

HTH! [dance]

• 6 years later...

Hi, does some one know how or where I can get more version about reading PBT tests, like from 2005 until the present time, 2011?

I´d really appriciate your help since I need to present PBT tests next year, and I´d like to practise a bit with some old version of it.

Thanks