Urch Forums

TOEFL Reading Harder on CBT?

Ciganina

Dear All,

I am curious to hear any feedback on experiences with the CBT and reading passages. My students are coming back with very high scores in grammar and listening, but their reading scores have dropped substantially recently. Also they have told me that these texts were much harder than the ones on Powerprep. Has anyone else noticed this or heard anything about it? Could ETS be launching some sort of experimental material in anticipation of the new TOEFL? I would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Thanks

Dear All,

I am curious to hear any feedback on experiences with the CBT and reading passages. My students are coming back with very high scores in grammar and listening, but their reading scores have dropped substantially recently. Also they have told me that these texts were much harder than the ones on Powerprep. Has anyone else noticed this or heard anything about it? Could ETS be launching some sort of experimental material in anticipation of the new TOEFL? I would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Thanks

oooh ur scaring me.. already am like this :crazy: :eek: when i'm practicing RC

Sorry I did not mean to frighten anyone. I have just been hearing this on the last couple of rounds of exams and wonder if anyone else has had that experience. If it makes you feel any better, my students are scoring very high on the grammar section.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ciganina,

I just got my TOEFL exam two days ago (26.04) with score range- 220 to 277. So I can tell for sure that the reading section was quite easy-there was only one tough passage, but the others were just fine.

I think that the confusion is from the fact that the texts have complex word oreder, and you must read very carefully before answering.

To tell you the truth they are really harder. The trend is to move to SAT-readings. I don't mean to hurt you, but last week I was reading a TOEFL text and I found it familiar. a few minutes later I remembered that I was reading the same text in a SAT book. but don't be afraid these changes may be planned for the next generation TOEFL.

To tell you the truth they are really harder. The trend is to move toward SAT-readings. I don't mean to frighten you, but last week I was reading a TOEFL text and I found it familiar. a few minutes later I remembered that I had read the same text in a SAT book. but don't be afraid these changes may be planned for the next generation TOEFL.