Urch Forums

Doubtful TOEFL question

Boorz

The pioneer in this move was the state of Pennsylvania, which chartered a company in 1792 to construct a turnpike, a road for the use of which a toll, or payment, is collected, from Philadelphia to Lancaster. The legislature gave the company the authority to erect tollgates at points along the road where payment would be collected, though it carefully regulated the rates. (The states had unquestioned authority to regulate private business in this period.)

37. The word "it" in line 11 refers to

A. legislature

B. company

C. authority

D. payment

The answer is A. Why not B?

The legislature gave the company the authority to erect tollgates at points along the road where payment would be collected, though it carefully regulated the rates. (The states had unquestioned authority to regulate private business in this period.)

A. legislature

B. company

C. authority

D. payment

You can see its A from the word "though ...",legislature gave.......though it...,besides "it" as company doesnt make sense

The pioneer in this move was the state of Pennsylvania, which chartered a company in 1792 to construct a turnpike, a road for the use of which a toll, or payment, is collected, from Philadelphia to Lancaster. The legislature gave the company the authority to erect tollgates at points along the road where payment would be collected, though it carefully regulated the rates. (The states had unquestioned authority to regulate private business in this period.)

A. legislature

B. company

C. authority

D. payment

Yes. The answer is definitely A.

The legislature allowed (give authority to) the company to build tollgates, but didn't allow the company to increase the payment rates so high, i.e. it regulated the rates.

HTH,

I am fed up with with ETS.

This is just more one "MISS QUESTION" in the real rush of a test.

I agree it is letter A.

arjensteve vbmenu_register("postmenu_172919", true); has pointed out. "though" refers to the the legislative. Company would fit well but then "though" should be "and or besides", I think.

If we pay attention to the word carefull we will incline to company since the state have absolute power and do not need to be carefull in doing smt.

Of course this is my humble opinion I am not that good in interpreting texts.