Urch Forums

passage from 1989/8908

Dipendra

Passage:

The term "satellite city is used to describe the relationship between a large city and neighboring smaller cities and towns that are economically dependent upon it. Satellite cities may be collection and distribution points in the commercial linkages of a trading metropolis, or they may be manufacturing or mining centers existing with one - industry economics as the creatures of some nearby center. This latter form is what is generally meant when one uses the term "satellite city." Taken in this sense, nineteenth - century Chicopee and Lowell, Massachusetts, were satellites of Boston. Both were mill towns created by Boston investors to serve the economy of that New England metropolis. Located on cheap land along water - power sites in the midst of a farming region that could supply ample labor, they were satellites in the fullest sense of the term. Pullman, Illinois, and Gary, Indiana, were likewise one - industry towns created in conjunction with the much broader economy of nearby Chicago. Such places, as Vera Schlakman and Stanley Buder have pointed out in their excellent urban biographies, had a one-dimensional quality, a paucity of social vigor. These cities could not stand alone; they were in a sense colonies of a multifunctional mother city.

1. Which of the following is characteristic of a satellite city?

(A) It is a self - sufficient community.

(B) It offers cheap land to people.

© It tends to concentrate on a single product.

(D) It lies within a space station orbiting Earth.

I think the answer is A, but i m not sure.

2. According to the passage Chicopee and Lowell were ideal locations for the development of towns because they had

(A) fully developed electric power plants

(B) an adequate number of workers

© farmland that would not be flooded

(D) extremely rich investors

I think the answer is D, but i m not sure. all seems to be correct

3.The author describes each of the following as being economically dependent on another city EXCEPT

(A) Chicopee, Massachusetts

(B) Lowell, Massachusetts

© Pullman, Illinois

(D) Chicago, Illinois

I think the answer is D.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that Vera Schlakman and Stanley Buder are

(A) authors

(B) investors

© social workers

(D) factory workers

I think the answer is A

5. It can be inferred from the passage that Vera Sohlakman and Stanley Buder would describe the economics of towns like Puliman and Gary as

(A) diversified

(B) dependent

© vigorous

(D) primitive

I think the answer is B

please write what u think.

The term "satellite city is used to describe the relationship between a large city and neighboring smaller cities and towns that are economically dependent upon it. Satellite cities may be collection and distribution points in the commercial linkages of a trading metropolis, or they may be manufacturing or mining centers existing with one - industry economics as the creatures of some nearby center. This latter form is what is generally meant when one uses the term "satellite city." Taken in this sense, nineteenth - century Chicopee and Lowell, Massachusetts, were satellites of Boston. Both were mill towns created by Boston investors to serve the economy of that New England metropolis. (1B)Located on cheap land along water - power sites in the midst of a (2B) farming region that could supply ample labor, they were satellites in the fullest sense of the term. Pullman, Illinois, and Gary, Indiana, were likewise (5B) one - industry towns created in conjunction with the (3D) much broader economy of nearby Chicago. Such places, as Vera Schlakman and Stanley Buder have pointed out in their excellent urban biographies, had a one-dimensional quality, a paucity of social vigor. These cities could not stand alone; they were in a sense colonies of a multifunctional mother city.

1. Which of the following is characteristic of a satellite city?

(A) It is a self - sufficient community.

(B) It offers cheap land to people.

© It tends to concentrate on a single product.

(D) It lies within a space station orbiting Earth.

I think the answer is A, but i m not sure.

2. According to the passage Chicopee and Lowell were ideal locations for the development of towns because they had

(A) fully developed electric power plants

(B) an adequate number of workers

© farmland that would not be flooded

(D) extremely rich investors

I think the answer is D, but i m not sure. all seems to be correct

3.The author describes each of the following as being economically dependent on another city EXCEPT

(A) Chicopee, Massachusetts

(B) Lowell, Massachusetts

© Pullman, Illinois

(D) Chicago, Illinois

I think the answer is D.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that Vera Schlakman and Stanley Buder are

(A) authors

(B) investors

© social workers

(D) factory workers

I think the answer is A. I would agree, but there seems no clear hint apart from the word 'biographies'.

5. It can be inferred from the passage that Vera Sohlakman and Stanley Buder would describe the economics of towns like Puliman and Gary as

(A) diversified

(B) dependent

© vigorous

(D) primitive

I think the answer is B

Dipendra,

Hope this helps you.

Michael