Urch Forums

Longman question, "it" refers to..

engsamah

Hi all, can u help me with this, one of the practice questions on the longman CBT CD:

… More significantly, however, caretenoids help protect chlorophyll from irreparable solar damage. On bright days when the leaf is “pumped” full of light and heat energy, the caretenoids act as sponges, absorbing excess energy from the chlorophyll and dissipating it harmlessly, thus preventing the delicate chlorophyll from being scorched. ...

Look at the word it in parag. click on the word in the bold text that it refers to.

---------------------------------------------------------

OK, I read the paragraph, and decided "it" refers to energy, I clicked at the nearest word ( the blue one) but the software gave me the correct answer : energy (the red one), I was surprised, cause I thought it doesn't matter! is it possible that it may happen in real test? or is it a software error??

thank you.

thank you guys for replying, and I got your points.

but you know when we first read the sentence, we put in mind that it=energy so all what I did is just searching for the word..

I'm afraid this what will decrease my reading score!

Is it the same in the real CBT ???? I mean is it a tricky question that may appear in the real test? or stupid as hfk said.

Thanks