Urch Forums

Please help me out with those questions. Thanks!

Angelica

Q1.What is ‘…if not always with the critics’ means in the following sentence?

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882) was perhaps the best-known American poet of the nineteenth century. His clear writing style and emphasis on the prevalent values of the period made him popular with the general public if not always with the critics.

Q2. What is ‘foreign locations and place names appropriate to the target language adorning its board’ means?

Although the game of Monopoly is now published in countless languages and versions, with foreign locations and place names appropriate to the target language adorning its board, the beginnings of the game were considerably more humble.’

Q3. The answer below is (A). But I am confused why I cannot choose (B) or ©? Besides, I wonder is there any key words in the following passage that indicates the answer?

[Passage] ‘ …In front of a viewership of more than 100 million citizens, Kennedy masterfully overcame Nixon’s advantage as the better-known and more experienced candidate and reversed the public perception of him as too inexperienced and immature for the presidency.’

[Question] :The passage states that in the debates with Nixon, Kennedy

demonstrated to the American people that he was

(A) old enough to be president

(B) more experienced than Nixon

© better known than Nixon

(D) too inexperienced to serve as president

Q4. I know the word ‘ pastimes’ means, but what if I do not know this word, is there any clues I can find in the following sentence?

… He was an unusually active man with varied pastimes, one of which was hunting.’

[Question] Look at the word pastimes in paragraph 2. This word could best be replaced by

(A) past occurrence

(B) previous jobs

© hunting trips

(D) leisure activities

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882) was perhaps the best-known American poet of the nineteenth century. His clear writing style and emphasis on the prevalent values of the period made him popular with the general public if not always with the critics.

Q2. What is ‘foreign locations and place names appropriate to the target language adorning its board’ means?

Although the game of Monopoly is now published in countless languages and versions, with foreign locations and place names appropriate to the target language adorning its board, the beginnings of the game were considerably more humble.’

Q3. The answer below is (A). But I am confused why I cannot choose (B) or ©? Besides, I wonder is there any key words in the following passage that indicates the answer?

[Passage] ‘ …In front of a viewership of more than 100 million citizens, Kennedy masterfully overcame Nixon’s advantage as the better-known and more experienced candidate and reversed the public perception of him as too inexperienced and immature for the presidency.’

[Question] :The passage states that in the debates with Nixon, Kennedy

demonstrated to the American people that he was

(A) old enough to be president

(B) more experienced than Nixon

© better known than Nixon

(D) too inexperienced to serve as president

Q4. I know the word ‘ pastimes’ means, but what if I do not know this word, is there any clues I can find in the following sentence?

‘… He was an unusually active man with varied pastimes, one of which was hunting.’

[Question] Look at the word pastimes in paragraph 2. This word could best be replaced by

(A) past occurrence

(B) previous jobs

© hunting trips

(D) leisure activities

Angelica,

Replace if not with but and you will see - it means the same thing.

It means that the names of towns, streets etc used on the board are chosen because of their relevance to the language the board is printed in (eg Paris for French versions).

'Nixon’s advantage as the better-known and more experienced candidate'. That is a statement of fact about Nixon.

Q4.

A and C are illogical. B would not make good English.

Michael

• 1 month later...

the structure with If:

We use this structure If +any/anything/ever/not ....to express

1. a negative meaning:

ex:

I am not angry, if anything( if there is anything), I feel a little surprised.

2.sometimes to express an tentative offer:

ex:

I'd say he was more like a father, if anything.(if anything= if I am able to say that)

he seldom if ever travels abroad.

usually, if not always, we wrrite "cannot" as one word

• 3 weeks later...

I think the meaning of the underlined word phrase is: He must have been popular with both the general public and the critics.