Urch Forums

Don't understand why...needed your help, please

Angelica

I think I am not quite sure about what the question is asking about. I chose the answer (D), because I thought the 'trip wires' should be above the sheet-web, based on the discription 'above the sheet-web are numerous nearly invisible, single-strand ‘trip wires.’ But the answer is (B). Please help me out. Thanks.

“ Sheet-web weavers construct horizontal webs that have the consistency of fine gauze, soft and smooth to the touch. Sheet-webs are generally found lower to the ground among grasses or twigs. The sheet-web itself resembles a small trampoline. Above the sheet-web are numerous nearly invisible, single-strand ‘trip wires.’ A low-flying insect will get knocked out of its flight by one of the trip wires and tumble onto the platform below. Though the sheet-web is not sticky enough to hold the prey, the spider scurries out of hiding and seizes its prize while the dazed bug is scrambling to its feet.”

[Question]

It can be inferred from the passage that the trip wire used by sheet-web weavers is

A) at ground level

B) below the sheet-web

C) even with the sheet-web

D) above the sheet-web

ans: (B)

• 2 months later...