2 questions from Northwest Coast

-BY-

Q: The word "game" in the passage is closest in meaning to

A) sport

B) tricks

C) wood

D) animals

now the paragraph - > The forests were rich with game and many edible plant foods, but the vegetation of much of the areas was so dense that land travel was extremely difficult, and large parts of the heavily forested foothills and rugger mountains were unsuitable for human settlements.Then bla bla....

Q:The author mentions the area's population in order to demonstrate that

A)the environment could support many people

B)trade with Mexico was of great importance

C)environmental problems were likely to arise

D)many people had migrated from Mexico to the area

Paragraph - > It is estimated that the Northwest Coast of the 1400's had a population of about 130,000 and thus was one of the heavily populated areas of North America north of Mexico.The people had no agriculture but, over thousands of years, had developed techniques and equipment to exploit their environment, basing their economy on fishing in streams and coastal waters that teemed with salmon, halibut, and other varieties of fish; gathering abalone, mussels, clams, and other shellfish from the rocky coastline; hunting land and sea mammals; and collecting wild plant foods.

Can u give me the answers

• Like 1

What are your answers, or your guess?

Q: The word "game" in the passage is closest in meaning to

A) sport

B) tricks

C) wood

D) animals

now the paragraph - > The forests were rich with game and many edible plant foods, but the vegetation of much of the areas was so dense that land travel was extremely difficult, and large parts of the heavily forested foothills and rugger mountains were unsuitable for human settlements.Then bla bla....

Q:The author mentions the area's population in order to demonstrate that

A)the environment could support many people

B)trade with Mexico was of great importance

C)environmental problems were likely to arise

D)many people had migrated from Mexico to the area

Paragraph - > It is estimated that the Northwest Coast of the 1400's had a population of about 130,000 and thus was one of the heavily populated areas of North America north of Mexico.The people had no agriculture but, over thousands of years, had developed techniques and equipment to exploit their environment, basing their economy on fishing in streams and coastal waters that teemed with salmon, halibut, and other varieties of fish; gathering abalone, mussels, clams, and other shellfish from the rocky coastline; hunting land and sea mammals; and collecting wild plant foods.

Can u give me the answers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the first one I guess it is woods from the meaning of the following lines -dense vegetation ,heavily forested etc.But the word edible plants makes me think the ans to be animals.What are the preceeding lines?:hmm:

For the second one I think it is A as it is stated in the passage that the people were able to exploit thier environment ,thus it was capable to support such a large population.

Iam curious to know the correct answers.

Ans:

Q1.The paragraph "the forests were rich with game and many edible plant foods....." implies that game is something related to food so the correct answer is D) animals

generally we think game as sports and tricks but game has many meanings in the above paragraph following meaning of game is used

animals taken in hunting, especially wild animals hunted for sports or food

Q2. For this question I think only this paragraph is not sufficient. Anyway my guess is C) environmental problems were likely to arise

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi -by-

I don't know exactly which one is exactly correct but I have an advice to you. you must know that in readind section, when they ask the meaning of easy word they want the second or third meaning in dictionary.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1.the ans should be "wood"

In a sentence to describe the passage written above is "although there r wood and edible plant,the place is still unsuitable for people living".bcoz the basis condition for people living are wood(for building a woodroom)and edible plant(for food)

Q2.the ans should be A

the first sentence indicated the population and then all the next written is in order to introduce the envir- gets the capability to suppose the population.plz notice that written "people has no agriculture".....it means although it doesnt have agricu-.it has other ways for suppose the population. for instance.fishing and so on .it just more difficult to suppose the population .anyway. it can.