Urch Forums

Time for TOEFL iBT reading

cogbot

• 1 month later...
Well the TOEFL iBT test patterns states that there are like 3-5 passeges for 60-100 minutes having 12-14 questions each.....so it means like we have 20 minutes to answer questions for each passage? and the time limit changes accordingly ?

If you get 3 reading passages, you will have 60 minutes. If you have 5 passages you will have 100 minutes. I don't think you get 4 reading passages.

Usually you get 1 reading passage for 20 minutes, when you are done, they give you 2 reading passage for 40 minutes. Finally if you have 2 additional reading passage they will give 40 minutes. Otherwise you will go to the listening section after 3 passages.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
I agree with u Tseprep but I heard that if u had the 5 passage and u finish the whole time for the 3 first passage the two last or extra passage will gone is that true?

First you don't know if you have 3 or 5 reading passages, second the timer will go 20 min, 40 min and if you have the 5 passages, additional 40 minutes.

If you go over your 40 min time in your 2nd and third passage, you will either go to the 4th and 5th reading passage (because it is random) or listening section.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I found the reading part subjects more difficult than i thought it would be. I mean Fossil Fuel Oil come on im not interested in that. Besides it's not an general subject to everybody. And the you get 20 minutes to read 1 full text than you have to answer 28 question. I think the time is way to short for that. and ETS should change the size of the text and shorten the questions to really answer all passages within time limits.

I think that should change in the speaking part as well. Twenty seconds preperation time is way to short. And 40 secs answering time aswell.

It should be 2 min prep time, so you can write at least something. And 1 minute speaking time to say everything you want to say.

PEACE, Ted

• 2 weeks later...

HI EVERY BODY

I JUST HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY READING SECTION I NEVER GOT MORE THAN 20, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS THE PROBLEM.......:hmm: :hmm: I DO UNDERSTAND THE PASSEGES. I TRY MY BEST TO READ THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS MANY TIMES.

THE LAST EXAM I HAD MORE THAN 7 MINUTES IN EACH READING SECTION TO REVISE MY ANSWERS.

ANY WAY IF ANY ONE CAN GIVE ME ENOUGH TIPS.... I DO HAVE THE KAPLEN, THE OFFECIAL GUIDE FOR TOEFL, CRAKING TOEFL, AND ABOUT 50 READING FROM THIS WEBSITE.

I MEMORISED MORE TAHN 400 NEW WORDS.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO.

BLEASE HELP ME:mad:

HI EVERY BODY

I JUST HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY READING SECTION I NEVER GOT MORE THAN 20, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS THE PROBLEM.......:hmm: :hmm: I DO UNDERSTAND THE PASSEGES. I TRY MY BEST TO READ THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS MANY TIMES.

THE LAST EXAM I HAD MORE THAN 7 MINUTES IN EACH READING SECTION TO REVISE MY ANSWERS.

ANY WAY IF ANY ONE CAN GIVE ME ENOUGH TIPS.... I DO HAVE THE KAPLEN, THE OFFECIAL GUIDE FOR TOEFL, CRAKING TOEFL, AND ABOUT 50 READING FROM THIS WEBSITE.

I MEMORISED MORE TAHN 400 NEW WORDS.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO.

BLEASE HELP ME:mad:

I think a good tip would be ( if you didn't notice it) to read just the questions before you even get to the answer choices.

Read the question, understand what they're asking..and go to to the passage to look for what they're asking you, then, once you find out, you go to the choices and pick the one it seems more reasonable at a first glance.

I had the problem of getting confused, since I realized this way of doing it...

Hope it helps!

Carpe Diem

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

I have problems with reading passage. I do not score more than 20 in practice tests. I think passages are too long. No time to read the complete passage and it is too difficult also. Can anybody tell me, in actual reading test, the passages come too long and difficult. I am too much worried about it. My exam date is very near. Date is 9th June.

Thanks

Rashmi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Shake a Tower

Hello !

I agree with noddy, because the text is too long and I think it's a waste of time to read it all. Go directly to the passage and answer the question. BUT you have to go through the whole passage for the last question, because it's a global question.

To answer chertian, I would say Yes, because I read it in my preparation book. You can go back to the text. But that's however not possible with the listening section

• 5 months later...